Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lock God Damn You!

mattydread

Hi all and happy new Year.

I am not as new as my profile would make you believe as i one of the unfortunate few who got lost when the site went a bit wrong.

Anyway....i have a V Reg Avensis 1.8 SE and today my central locking has started to fail me. I try pushing the lock button and nothing happens. I Push the Unlock button and i can hear the mechanisum working...but absolutely nothing when i push the lock button. This is the case for both of my key fobs, indicating the issue lies wih the vehicle.

I have tried to resynchronise and heard some kind of mechanisum when performing the resynchronisation but nothing when trying to lock doors after it was done.

All doors are definately shut.

The main worry is that the car will not lock centrally even with the key in the door. Only the driver door is being locked!!!

Am i missing something???

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Matt

We'll i doubt I can shed any light on the subject what so ever, but one of the key fobs started to fail on me the other day on my almost identical model (W-Reg 1.8 SE) It was fairly intermittant and at one point I was convinced it was the ice on the bonnet that was the problem :)

I've since changed key fobs and all seems to be fine (So probably a buggered battery), my 600mile check is up in the next few days (Bought it as an approved used car from a Toyota Dealer), my sales guy was pretty good so ill feign the problem and see if he has any ideas if you like ?

It vastly depends on who I see on the day, but i'll give it a go. Short of you resolving the problem.

[edit]As stupid as it sounds, try using the key around the car, not just at the drivers door, with my old semi-buggered fob, it seemed to work far better at the rear passenger side for some reason ???[/edit]

Rob

hi thamks for your reply, like i said i have used both fobs and both do the same function will unlock but not lock. Also tried locking from every conceivable position around the car to no avail.

Happy New Year To You Too.

I too have has exactly the same problem as yourself for the last 3 months.

To get around the problem for now you have to let everyone out of the car and then lock all the door via the antijack button on the drivers door. Then unlock the drivers door, get out and lock it from the outside with the key! A pain in the back side for sure!

I thought I'd traced the fault to the relay send unit. I asked the dealer for a quote and he wanted about 300 notes to sort it out but a local scrap merchant wanted only 50 notes for the part. I was palnning on doing the job over the Christmas break but low and behold....it started working of its own accord again! Maybe its the cold or something? I'm going to hang fire with changing the part for now and see how long it lasts!

I have one keyfob that doesn't work. It locks but doesn't unlock, and believe me - it's better the other way round!! The other fob works fine. Have stripped the fob down but can't find the problem (but am not into electronics).

:thumbsup:

Hi all,

I have the same problem affecting the central locking unit. I can only Unlock my car and I have to follow the procedure indicated by shenderson to lock it:

Anybody knows where the relay send unit is located ?

Shark :cacker:

Hi all,

Took car to dealers yesterday who ran a diagostic and advised that it is a solenoid that is failing to operate by recognising that the drivers door is shut!!! Hence it will allow unlocking but not locking

Result £300 to supply and fit whole new door locking unit!!!

<I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?> that

I am gonna have a look at it and see if i can free the begger up myself...it might just have got jammed due to all the rain etc we have had lately

Anyone got any tips on removing inside trim!! or scanned pages of a haynes manual???

Cheers

Anyone got any tips on removing inside trim!! or scanned pages of a haynes manual???

C A R E F U L L Y :thumbsup:

Take it one screw or bolt at a time. try not to brack the pins tht secure the trim to the door and dont be tempted to pull once you have a corner off. this can cause a buckle or bend in the trim which on replacement will rattle or hum with cre vibration on future trips.

hope this helps :group-cuddles:

I agree with Gus. Carefully is the name of the game. I had my door panel off last weekend and it was very easy to do. Mostly screws but there are two pop fasters on the bottom edge of the door that are easily damaged and tricky to get to put back. Apart from that, good luck and let me know how you get on.

Stuart

PS My locking is working again ...... go figure!

Slowly Slowly Catch The Monkey!!!!

Ok i get it i'll leave my heavy hands at home!!!!

No need for my crowbar on this job then.

Been quoted about £40 for a 2nd hand unit. Is this fair?

Also how easy is it to replace the item, it appears that its just a few bolts holding it onto the door once you get the trim off the door as well as a few bars running to lock barrel and door handle / lock.

Is there any kind of set up i would need to do to get it working with my fob or is that all done elsewhere and this item is purely mechanical

All help greatly appreciated as ever.

hi to all

this is quite a common problem on avensis normally happens after changing the batteries, or for no apparent reason, you must check that the interior light is working and that the connection on the fob are touching the top of the Battery. in the fuse box in the engine compartment there is a white or cream coloured fuse remove that for 5-10 seconds the reinstall if this failt you will have to reprogramme the remote i will post how to do this soon

rgds

j

Hi all thanks for your posts.

However my car is becoming more and more wierd.

Last night i thought i would try the fob and low and behold it worked and i can now lock and unlock!!!

So i stood there for a few mintues having a !Removed! testing it a few times and all was good.

Then i heard the car trying to lock itself although i had never pressed the button!!

It then proceeded to try and lock itself ever1-2 mintues, which then concerned me as i thought the Battery would be worn out by the morning if it done it all night!! (this problem seems to be the reverse of ( Stay Locked, God Damn You! (pt.2) )

(btw car started fine this morning)

I tried wrapping my keys up in foil to sheild a signal in case they were faulty but it still done it (can't really be sure this worked, although it would not operate when pressing the buttons through the foil)

So ended up having to put keys as far away from car as possible.

Anyway is this problem all to do with the same issue of my locking mechanism being up the shoot!

Cheers

p.s. have now named my car Christine (it must be possesed)

Well I know the Avensis does re-lock itself if you dont open a door within about 15 seconds.

If it's playin up that much then I would put money on the drivers side door lock (which is the one that operates the locking off the key) Chances are the lock is playing up as what has been said before, especially as it seems to have mad lock/unlock sessions. It will take some fiddlin about but, try disconnecting the locking barrel limit switches. Either that or jus disconnect the lot. This way the system won't know where the lock is so therefore will just do as it's told by the key fob. At least then you can lock the door with the key and still have the alarm on for now.

If you can find the wires that are for the limits and not the locking solenoid/motor then just disconnect them cause it will all work properly off the fob then. But you will just not get central locking off the key.

Oh yeah the above will work if the door is actually locking itself but just not recognising that it is locked.

I'm afraid to say that I can now join the merry band of crappy lockers!! :crybaby:

The problem started when my interior light failed, the one behind the front seats. I took the bulb out to see if it was faulty but it looked fine and upon replacing it, it lit as it made contact but when completely installed it didn't work.

Realising that I may as well get a new bulb I put it back together and got out the car to lock the doors and pressed lock on the key fob. Nothing happened. I could lock all doors using the button on the drivers door so I had to unlock the drivers door manually to get out and re-lock with the key.

I thought I'd replace the transmitter batteries, this has had no effect. Furthermore, I've noticed that the clock will only run when the ignition is on and the trip meter does function correctly. I haven' t yet replaced the interior bulb. Will everthing be magically restored if I do? I tried re-synchronising, I couldn't hear anything happening.

Could there be a blown fuse after messing around with the interior light. I would appreciate some comforting conclusions and some convincing that I will be able to sort this out myself at the weekend.

VMAX

• 2 weeks later...

avensis gs 1.8 .1998. :help: my central locking has completely failed, even the master switch on the drivers door doesn't work. ive checked the fuses and the leccy windows/sunroof work o.k so i don't think its the relay. i can hear a faint click from the drivers door if i pull the 30A fuse in and out . any suggestions or remedies greatly appreciated..................jim-a

Hi all,

Had this problem in a 1999 Avensis a few weeks ago. Problem with the solenoid in the drivers door. Replaced it with a second hand unit. About 40 minutes to do the job. All sorted but the job is a bit fiddly getting all the connectors in place. Hope this helps.

Joe

My central locking on my avensis is driving me crazy. The problem varies with the ambient temperature. During the recent cold snap the central locking unlocks itself after a short peroid (approx 2 minutes). This problem varies with the temperature. If it is below freezing I can lock the car with the remote but cannot open also the system unlocks itself. If the temperature rises above freezing it does not unlock itself but cannot unlock it using the remote. If the temperature rises even further then the system works perfectly. When the system is not working properly then the immobiliser flashing light does not operate. I have replace remote batteries and re syncronised. HELP

stuart

• 1 year later...

If it's playin up that much then I would put money on the drivers side door lock (which is the one that operates the locking off the key)  Chances are the lock is playing up as what has been said before, especially as it seems to have mad lock/unlock sessions.  It will take some fiddlin about but, try disconnecting the locking barrel limit switches.  Either that or jus disconnect the lot.  This way the system won't know where the lock is so therefore will just do as it's told by the key fob.  At least then you can lock the door with the key and still have the alarm on for now. 

If you can find the wires that are for the limits and not the locking solenoid/motor then just disconnect them cause it will all work properly off the fob then.  But you will just not get central locking off the key.

:thumbsup::eek: [COLOR=red]I FOLLOWED EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID AND EVEN FOUND THE 2 LOCKING BARREL LIMIT SWITCH WIRES, ( BY CUTTING EVERY WIRE LEADING TOWARDS THE PLASTIC PLUG IN WIRE HOLDER WHICH CONNECTS TO THE DOOR LOCKING MECHANISM, TO FIND THIS JUST FOLLOW THE 5 WIRES FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW / CENTRAL DOOR LOCKING CONSOLE WHICH YOU REMOVE WHEN YOU TAKE THE DOOR PANEL OFF. ONCE YOU REMOVE THIS PLUG IN PLASTIC WIRE HOLDER FROM THE DOOR LOCKING MECHANISM TEST YOUR REMOTE LOCKING AND UNLOCKING ON YOUR KEY FOB. AMAZINGLY IT WILL WORK. ) AND WITH A PROCESS OF ELIMINATION ( CONNECTING 1 WIRE AT A TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE 2 WIRES LEFT NOT CONNECTED ) IT ALL ACTUALLY WORKS. CENTRAL LOCKING AGAIN FROM THE KEY FOB. AFTER 7 MONTHS OF MAYHEM PEACE IS RESTORED. A MILLION THANKS TO S. J. RAINSFORD FOR HIS EXPERT ADVICE. POSTED HERE.

Always happy to help!! :thumbsup:

If you had lived a little closer, i'd have been happy to come accross to help you!!

Just went outside to move my car and I couldn't get in! I tried using both the remote and the key. I finally got the boot open slightly which set the alarm off :(

Moved the car and then it wouldn't let me in the boot! think I've got it all locked now but I'm going away for a week in an hour or so so need emergency advice

I have an Avensis CDX 2000-2001 - Mot & service due in Jan

Edit: I was cold last night (colder than usual) Do ya think that'd cause it?

• 10 months later...

Hi.

AMAZINGLY IT WILL WORK. ) AND WITH A PROCESS OF ELIMINATION ( CONNECTING 1 WIRE AT A TIME UNTIL YOU HAVE 2 WIRES LEFT NOT CONNECTED ) IT ALL ACTUALLY WORKS

Could you please tell us what wires needs to be disconnected?

I hate to invent the wheel again...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links