Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

99 Avensis Car Alarm ?reset

gwgraham

Hi

I have a 1999 toyota avensis GLS which is having problems with the remote locking and alarm. I replaced the fob batteries a month ago and everything was working fine. However, last week the remote locking / unlocking stopped working and........

1. Everytime i open the car door with the key, the alarm goes off . I can start the car and drive it but the alarm carries on for 20 seconds or so.

2 After that it is fine although the alarm light on the dash stays on permemnantly, until I stop, turn off the ignition and open the door. Then the alarm goes off again. i can lock the car with the key in the drivers door and all doors lock but the alarm carries on for the 20 seconds or so.

3. All is then OK and the alarm light can be seen flashing.

4. If I unlock and open the door............ back to 1.

Does anyone know how I can reset the alarm.... or where to hit it with a hammer?

Many thanks

Grae

I think this is contained in the vehicle handbook - try there first, if not search previous postings. As a recall it is easy to reset just can not remember how !

• 4 weeks later...

my uncle's carolla was very simple to sort i did it by remove the Battery on the car for about 5mins after replacing the Battery i pressed to fob on the keys lock unlock etc if you have two keys do it with both within 5seconds of reconecting the Battery and it worked fine i only tried it becasue i'd read or heard it some where before might help if you havent sorted it?

also i do need to sort same problem on my avensis now

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem as described by gwgraham. Even try removing the fuses under the steering wheel and removing the Battery but still cannot reset/disable the alarm.

Found a few resetting and key programming sequences in this forum but none of them works.

Look like have to take it to Toyota and pay £££ for repair. :(

Having spent 3 hours reading 100+ messages, one message I found very inspiring is the possibility of radio interference, which prevents the key fobs communicating with alarm ECU. I then drove the car away to a remote area and tried the key fobs again. Surprise surprise, both my key fobs were working again.

However, after returning home the key fobs are not working again. It seems something near where I live is interferering with key fobs. I suspected wifi but after looking round for a minute, bingo, it is my remote control door bell. The button has been jammed and emitting a signal of frequency similar to the alarm system. Must have been the postman pressed it too hard last Friday when the alarm problem started. The key fobs works again after unjamming the button.

That is my story. Hope it helps others.

Regards,

Patrick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links