Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.3 Engine Knocking

rutland32

I wonder if someone could help me with the knocking rattle type noise my engine makes when in low revs under load.

I've done 50,000 miles, 03 plate, runs well and i've had no problem. it has been getting a little worse over the last few months.

is it engine noise or an under bonnet peripheral kind of noise ?

if engine noise then have you checked oil ?

its does sound as though its from the engine, its only low revs under load other than that its runs normal.

i have the same sort of problem. low revs under load this rattle appears. i have kind of thought it might be a problem with clutch???? drives ok though! i have also noticed that if i have more weight in the car then its more noticable. sounds similar to your problem, so any input on this would be appreciated.

i actually thought it was brake pipes rattling, but i've checked throughout the underside and seperated anything that could cause a problem. still there!

ok, problem seems to have got worse!!! same noise but more often. also first thing in morning engine cold..... lots of clutch judder!!

surely some ones got some ideas or had the prob before......... anyone????????? :huh::unsure:

i have the same sort of problem. low revs under load this rattle appears. i have kind of thought it might be a problem with clutch???? drives ok though! i have also noticed that if i have more weight in the car then its more noticable. sounds similar to your problem, so any input on this would be appreciated.

i actually thought it was brake pipes rattling, but i've checked throughout the underside and seperated anything that could cause a problem. still there!

• 5 months later...

I am having the same problem, I am due to service it this weekend so hopefully I can work out what it is. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? I know the thread is aged some does the OP know what the problem is/was?

Thanks

I have a 54 plate yaris that had the same problem,a rattle at low revs,so took it back to toyota garage ,they said it was the plastic shield that covers the exhaust manifold behind the air box,i wasnt convinced but they let me try 3 other yaris s on the forcourt of all slightly different ages and they all did the same so must be a common kind of problem.

but have found as its near the exhaust manifold it does disappear when a good bit warmer ,but the heat also distorts it slightly thats why it begins to rattle when cold again.

If sitting at idle you can get it to rattle if you slowly let the revs rise to 3000 then let off the accelerator thats the manifold rattle.

Manifold heat sheilds and cat heat sheilds are notorious for doing this. I have just took the cat one off my Honda Accord and my previous golf was the same.

If you can get to it easy then i would just remove it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 54 plate yaris that had the same problem,a rattle at low revs,so took it back to toyota garage ,they said it was the plastic shield that covers the exhaust manifold behind the air box,i wasnt convinced but they let me try 3 other yaris s on the forcourt of all slightly different ages and they all did the same so must be a common kind of problem.

but have found as its near the exhaust manifold it does disappear when a good bit warmer ,but the heat also distorts it slightly thats why it begins to rattle when cold again.

If sitting at idle you can get it to rattle if you slowly let the revs rise to 3000 then let off the accelerator thats the manifold rattle.

I too had a very similar prob on my 05 Auto. Your post provided the vital clue. Traced it to the Air intake housing unit, the joints at the air cleaner end and the other end have a fair bit of play and these were causing the rattles. Seems like poor design or more probably cost saving measures. I inserted small strips of bicycle tyre inner tube rubber into these joints to take up the play. As an added measure I installed a rubber washer between the housing and the metal bodywork (where the housing is bolted to the body). It not only cured the rattles but also the booming noises. The difference it has made is amazing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links