Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris T-sport

H13RNC

Yeah, new t sport auris would be good. Is this for certain or is Toyota doing a PR stunt?

To be honest, if Toyota don't bring any sport cars back similar to Celica, Supra, MR2 & CTS, I will need to look elsewhere for my next car :(

Yeah, new t sport auris would be good. Is this for certain or is Toyota doing a PR stunt?

To be honest, if Toyota don't bring any sport cars back similar to Celica, Supra, MR2 & CTS, I will need to look elsewhere for my next car :(

I hope it isnt a stunt, the toyota rep i spoke to sounded genuine, But after all that we will have to wait and see. if i get a fair trade in price i will get one, depending on the car and the package offered etc. Dont think I will but it brand new as we all know the price drops once you drive it out the show room, but maybe an exdemo...

I still love my corolla t s-port

Cheers

H :thumbsup:

i think thats how a lot of us are thinking and maybe Toyota realised this. Toyota had a similar image to Hyundia or even Kia has at the moment until the MR2 came out. Subaru say that car thre building for Toyota will only be available as a Subaru outside of Japan - that tells its own tale?

Without going off topic

The supra is coming back - it was launched as a concept in 2007, suppose to be next year we see more and the celica will make an appearance in 2010/2011 as a joint build with subaru parts/engine.

i'd be interested in an auris tsport. hope they update the 2zzge to a 2.0 litre or something for some extra grunt and maybe raise the limiter to 9k for the hell of it :)

i kinda like the auris 180 - going by the facts and figures it combines nice performance with good mpg and cheaper tax/insurance. however ive never drove one so what the hell do i know! :D

I look foward to the auris t sport if it does come out, be interesting to see as i do like the look of the auris even as a standard auris & i like the interior!!! i actually thought toyota uk phased out the 't-sport' completly since u cant even get the yaris TS in UK but can still get them in parts of europe as a 1.8, not quick as a CTS obviosly. u those comparing the t / sr180 auris as a 'hot hatch' subaru impreza is phasing out the WRX here & gonna 'replace' it with a diesel, its their words but cant see how they can replace it with a diesel :rolleyes:

Well, this was getting a bit heated.

Everyone always loves their cars no matter what they are, even if it is a T180.

A lot of car choice is personal preference. At the end of the day to have a diesel as a sports car it needs to be engineered in a way to eliminate certain problems associated with diesels. I have a diesel car and have driven T180 so know what they are. You need to resolve lag, (ie add another turbo like BMW do so successfully) you need to improve front end handling due to added weight of diesel engine and you need a good delivery of torque across the rev range.

To do all this for a relatively cheap hot hatch isn't really an option, (BMW 335d is a £30k+ car) so although I don't disagree that diesels can be used in sports cars (you only need watch Le Mans) for a cheerful little hot hatch it won't really work. Plus BMWs are RWD anyway so will handle better for a start. So Toyota will need to do something else.

As for the T180s other foibles some can be down to personal pref, interior and exterior styling. So each to their own on that front. But it does roll through those corners and I like my sports cars to be planted.

So to my orginal message; an Auris TS will need to be a bit better than the T180 (better handling etc) with an engine to match something like Focus ST or Astra VXR to have the kind of impact that would make it worthwhile.

Then I might have another try in an Auris.

A lot of car choice is personal preference. At the end of the day to have a diesel as a sports car it needs to be engineered in a way to eliminate certain problems associated with diesels. I have a diesel car and have driven T180 so know what they are. You need to resolve lag, (ie add another turbo like BMW do so successfully) you need to improve front end handling due to added weight of diesel engine and you need a good delivery of torque across the rev range.

To do all this for a relatively cheap hot hatch isn't really an option, (BMW 335d is a £30k+ car) so although I don't disagree that diesels can be used in sports cars (you only need watch Le Mans) for a cheerful little hot hatch it won't really work. Plus BMWs are RWD anyway so will handle better for a start. So Toyota will need to do something else.

As for the T180s other foibles some can be down to personal pref, interior and exterior styling. So each to their own on that front. But it does roll through those corners and I like my sports cars to be planted.

So to my orginal message; an Auris TS will need to be a bit better than the T180 (better handling etc) with an engine to match something like Focus ST or Astra VXR to have the kind of impact that would make it worthwhile.

Not that I'd have one, but BMW already have a rwd hot hatch in the form of the 123D twin turbo for mid £20k s, so you don't have to pay £30k+ for 3 series. Seat are winning the odd British touring car round with their front wheel drive 280bhp diesel Leon, but are having reliability problems, however they seem to have the handling issue sorted, not sure about the number of turbos mind.

Not convinced the Auris has an issue with weight over the front wheels, as unlike alot of diesels the Toyota 2.2 D-CAT engine is all aluminium apparently. Agree on the twin turbo point though.

Not that I'd have one, but BMW already have a rwd hot hatch in the form of the 123D twin turbo for mid £20k s, so you don't have to pay £30k+ for 3 series. Seat are winning the odd British touring car round with their front wheel drive 280bhp diesel Leon, but are having reliability problems, however they seem to have the handling issue sorted, not sure about the number of turbos mind.

Not convinced the Auris has an issue with weight over the front wheels, as unlike alot of diesels the Toyota 2.2 D-CAT engine is all aluminium apparently. Agree on the twin turbo point though.

I always forget about the 1 series, ugly car! But that handles pretty well so I'm told (RWD again), personally I wouldn't pay £23k for a hot hatch anyway.

Seat have a good platform to start with that's why it handles well, the engines are pretty good in the Leon as well, so again if Toyota were to use the Auris base they'll need to do a lot of work to it. Plus as you say the Leon TC have a lot of power and will cost a lot to develop to improve on the already good handling of the road car. So don't really see your point there!

Even if you're right about the light engine, it still doesn't handle well enough as is, so will need some work to become a decent TS. I don't think using a diesel is the way to go.

I always forget about the 1 series, ugly car! But that handles pretty well so I'm told (RWD again), personally I wouldn't pay £23k for a hot hatch anyway.

Seat have a good platform to start with that's why it handles well, the engines are pretty good in the Leon as well, so again if Toyota were to use the Auris base they'll need to do a lot of work to it. Plus as you say the Leon TC have a lot of power and will cost a lot to develop to improve on the already good handling of the road car. So don't really see your point there!

Even if you're right about the light engine, it still doesn't handle well enough as is, so will need some work to become a decent TS. I don't think using a diesel is the way to go.

If Toyota wanted diesels inside the T Sport, they could've made a slightly more powerful Diesel and called it T Sport and not T/SR180. Maybe I'm wrong, but a T Sport would not be a T Sport without its Naturally Aspirated engine. Can you imagine Honda sticking a diesel engine in and naming it Type R? Maybe they will one day, but the notion of a Type R are its high revving engines which Diesels are not! So for me, a T Sport should be a petrol and not a multiple turbo'd diesel!

The point is that you do not have to look at at high performance GT cars in Le Mans to see that performance diesels are making their way down the motorsport path to family type cars, though understandably a touring car is a different beast to a standard road car. And if they are considering diesels at that level against highly tuned petrol engines then there is nothing wrong in applying the same logic to joe public cars. Also remember Toyota had a go at the Auris Sport Study with A 200PS version of the 2.2 D-CAT with firmer suspension, bigger brakes and wheels, a sports interior, twin exhaust and full bodykit - looked pretty good. Might still be a serious option.

If Toyota wanted diesels inside the T Sport, they could've made a slightly more powerful Diesel and called it T Sport and not T/SR180. Maybe I'm wrong, but a T Sport would not be a T Sport without its Naturally Aspirated engine. Can you imagine Honda sticking a diesel engine in and naming it Type R? Maybe they will one day, but the notion of a Type R are its high revving engines which Diesels are not! So for me, a T Sport should be a petrol and not a multiple turbo'd diesel!

Actually, I can. I read within the last 12 months that Honda are planning to make a diesel Type 'R' and are infact working on how to make it a revvy engine.

Actually, I can. I read within the last 12 months that Honda are planning to make a diesel Type 'R' and are infact working on how to make it a revvy engine.

Yes, Honda is working on it, but only if it is in keeping with the type R brand, i.e high revving. Once they've done that, then people can start compare like for like and not contrasting NA cars with diesel turbo/twin turbos/superchargers as this thread has turned out to include.

I hope you diesel guys know what I am trying to convey!

I would be surprised if a Diesel Type R with over 180PS ever appears, having worked for Honda UK until recently, the Japanese don't see Diesel as a large part of their business as most car sales are out outside Europe. It took years of work to convince the engineers the i-CDTI engine was essentially for UK survival. The i-DTEC in the new Accord is currently only available with 150 PS the later version will only have 180PS max and the autobox is still 18mths away.

Lets have a high revving 2.0 - 2.2 Petrol with a bit more low down torque, i don't want a Diesel as i drive one all day and the CTS is a blast when on lift with the induction kit screaming. No current road going diesel can make that induction sound. B)

I would be surprised if a Diesel Type R with over 180PS ever appears, having worked for Honda UK until recently, the Japanese don't see Diesel as a large part of their business as most car sales are out outside Europe. It took years of work to convince the engineers the i-CDTI engine was essentially for UK survival. The i-DTEC in the new Accord is currently only available with 150 PS the later version will only have 180PS max and the autobox is still 18mths away.

Lets have a high revving 2.0 - 2.2 Petrol with a bit more low down torque, i don't want a Diesel as i drive one all day and the CTS is a blast when on lift with the induction kit screaming. No current road going diesel can make that induction sound. B)

Me too, i'd very suprised to see any diesel car it the hot hatch range with over 180bhp, as for a Diesel T-sport??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO god :help: us !

Cheers

Me too, i'd very suprised to see any diesel car it the hot hatch range with over 180bhp, as for a Diesel T-sport??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO god :help: us !

Cheers

You high revvy guys are just going to have to sit at home and twiddle your thumbs when the combusion engine is dead and replaced with quiet fuel cell four-wheel direct-drive gearless vehicles in the not so distant future. Either that or have your own screaming engine sound effects Speakers inside and outside of your future cars so that you can pretend its the good old days! :lol2:

Cheers

You high revvy guys are just going to have to sit at home and twiddle your thumbs when the combusion engine is dead and replaced with quiet fuel cell four-wheel direct-drive gearless vehicles in the not so distant future. Either that or have your own screaming engine sound effects Speakers inside and outside of your future cars so that you can pretend its the good old days! :lol2:

There won't be fuel cell cars in mass production for at least 20yrs IMO, OPEC will see to that, there is nothing wrong with a Torquey Diesel if you want a lazy drive as my 50k per annum company car testifies, however i dont find a wave of torque as exciting as lift combined with induction roar when out for a rare blast.

Secondly if your Diesel packs up outside of warranty, the bill will start at £1000 - The good old petrol Toyota will run for ever provided its maintained as there's less to go wrong, and when it does it will be cheaper to fix as it wont be as complex to repair.

Cheers

you must be speaking from experience - do you find twiddling yer thumbs passes the boredom of driving a t180 :lol2: or do you twiddle with something else to remind you of the good old days :rolleyes:

The difference here is I've driven both (T-Sport for 4.5 years), and certainly around my area the opportunities to experience the 'lift' are few and far between, whereas the t/sr180 sees max power virtually every trip, which is much more satisfying IMO. Twiddling with something else does remind me of one or two of you guys though :lol2:

I've found this to help you hear your future vehicles... :laughing:

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/crblog/bmx...made-in-queens/

The difference here is I've driven both (T-Sport for 4.5 years), and certainly around my area the opportunities to experience the 'lift' are few and far between, whereas the t/sr180 sees max power virtually every trip, which is much more satisfying IMO. Twiddling with something else does remind me of one or two of you guys though :lol2:

Thats the end of the sensible discussion then.

it was an interseting thread to start with - the T Sport coming back would always spark interest. unfortunately some diesel drivers get very offended becuase a lot of people have stated in this and other threads the T180/sr doesnt interest them so they jump on there high horse caliming we are all ignorant and fools for running petrol cars - i even got called retatrded! becuase the diesels dont weigh up. your point on running costs is spot on - diesels are v/expensive to maintain in the long term with pumps, injectors and turbo's all needing replaced in there normal life cycle. a normal petrol will do 150k+ usually with no big bills - unless it aint maintained. in that same 150k the diesel will have been through a least 1 turbo and 2 sets of injectors and pumps.

Did you manage to get your rear strut brace fitted?

it was an interseting thread to start with - the T Sport coming back would always spark interest. unfortunately some diesel drivers get very offended becuase a lot of people have stated in this and other threads the T180/sr doesnt interest them so they jump on there high horse caliming we are all ignorant and fools for running petrol cars - i even got called retatrded! becuase the diesels dont weigh up. your point on running costs is spot on - diesels are v/expensive to maintain in the long term with pumps, injectors and turbo's all needing replaced in there normal life cycle. a normal petrol will do 150k+ usually with no big bills - unless it aint maintained. in that same 150k the diesel will have been through a least 1 turbo and 2 sets of injectors and pumps.

Did you manage to get your rear strut brace fitted?

oops, I think I've started a Diesel v Petrol war!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Diesel cars and have had many diesel company cars, I just want to show people that people should not always compare diesels to petrol as the diesel has a natural advantage with the added benefit of either turbo etc.. and when this original thread was about the AURIS T SPORT (if there ever will be one), and I read BMW 335D twin turbo diesel, I was thinking ?????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links