Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4x4s And Matching Tires

jesseahk

I destroyed one of my Michelin tires while driving in the mountains this summer. Since 3 of the tires are still very good I tried to find a used one to match. Since I put the used tire on, (a different brand) my four wheel drive does not work as smoothly. It seems to pull on occassion and does not switch in and out as smoothly as before. I have the replacement tire on one of the drive wheels. Can this cause my problem with the 4x4. Any suggestions?

Jesse

Swapping a tyre should not affect your 4-wheel drive! If tyre is of differing pattern & tread depth, then this may affect the feel of the car.

I always try to keep tyres of the same make & similar tread depth on same axle. Never mix makes!! They tend to give different levels of grip & performance.

Make sure your front 2 are kept in tip top condition, most of the drive is delivered via the front wheel( 60/40 I'm told ).

Jesse

You dont say what vehicle you have , but it's not a good idea to mix tyres even for off road .

You should have equal drive to all four wheels , on most Toyota 4wd the diffs are the same ratio front and rear , but because one tyre has a different pattern it will mess up the grip .