Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cambelt Replacement

Shakster007

Hi

I'm having my cambelt replaced. Is there anything else I should consider getting done at the same time?

Cheers.

If you are getting it done at a garage, then no not really. Is it the 1st or second replacement cambelt? ie 60k or 120k miles? A lot of people say to replace the idler pulleys and the tensioner but personally I wouldn't bother unless they really needed doing. A good mechanic should be able to tell you this. These parts can really bump up the costs.

If you are getting it done at a garage, then no not really. Is it the 1st or second replacement cambelt? ie 60k or 120k miles? A lot of people say to replace the idler pulleys and the tensioner but personally I wouldn't bother unless they really needed doing. A good mechanic should be able to tell you this. These parts can really bump up the costs.

Amazingly enough it is the first replacement at 128k. I just bougt the car. The previous owner just never had it done although he always had it serviced at the dealers. They should have done it because they seem to have done everything else!

Anyway, yes, I am having it done at the mechanic.

I have a receipt that says the 'aux belts' (two of them) were replaced a few months ago. What are these?

I have a receipt that says the 'aux belts' (two of them) were replaced a few months ago. What are these?

Auxiliary belts.

What we used to call the fan belt, even though most cars have had electrically driven fans for decades now. They're the smaller belt(s) that are usually visible when you look in the engine bay and tend to drive water pumps, alternators etc. Not quite as vital as the cam belt because your car can live for a short while without these belts and failure is rarely results in damage to the engine, whereas cam belt failure results in instant loss of power, and with some engines, a very expensive repair bill.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links