In-car Audio Format

Starensis

29 members have voted

1. 1. In-car Audio Format

• Mini Disk
    • Compact Disk
    • Tape
    • Radio only

As I'm still confused as what to do with the MD player in my other half's recently purchased RAV 4, thought I'd see what you all think via a poll.

Whatever the outcome is, I will do!

:ffs:

MD is a good format. It's just a pain to keep recording them..

I still have the original 15 year old tape/radio in my supra, I've got a CD player to go in but havent got round to fitting it yet. I guess MP3 will take over from everything one day, but being a bit of a technophob i dont know much about it.

When my MD player was stolen, I replaced it with CD.

wow, it hit me in the face that CD give alot more quality which i don't believe it before.

The advantage MD gives is that the cartridges are damn close to bomb proof, I have scratched many a CD by throwing it in the glove box when driving, with MD's you can chuck them about and not worry about scratches, MD's are also a tad more child friendly (so I hear) as the disc is hidden from sticky figures, chocolate, drool and baby teeth.

That said i still like think Cd's will be the way forward for the next 5 or so years!

MD's are also smaller to store. I had a CD changer and had to keep coping them for the car anyway as I don't like to leave original CD's in the car, so the recording of MD's is actually easier as you can get more CD's on one MD disk.

Kaz

Get yourself an MP3 headunit.

You can fit almost 600 songs onto one cheap CD-R.

Sorted. No other format comes close :thumbsup:

Those MP3 units are B)

I've got a MP3 head unit and have got a program on the computer to change my Cd's to MP3 format then i just use MP3 in the car then i've always got the original if an MP3 gets scratched :thumbsup:

So if you feel ok with recording and changing formats then i'd look at a MP3/cd head unit.

Simon

I've fitted a Sony double din radio/tape/single cd head unit and a Sony xplod 10 cd mp3 multi changer so I could probably get about 80 hours of music. Don't think I've ever used the tape though. I don't understand why manufacturers still fit radio/tapes as in my opinion tape is a dead format.

Yeah must admit i think tape is dead now most people i know are on MD or CD now not scene them over here yet but allot of the import cars are coming over with double din cd and md headunits combined with if that could also play MP3 you would have the best of everything.

Simon

Looks like MP3 CD is the way forward!

Anyone have any contacts/sites available for cheapish units??

In my personal opinion I would say that MD is the best format for music. And I prefer it over CD, MP3 or tapes.

And I say this having a 10 disk CD/MP3 changer in my car. Before I got my changer I had 3 different MD players and I found each one of those much easier to use.

However, I will admit that I am a bit of a techno-freak so I know exactly how to get my music onto MD in CD quality.

Anyone want any tips on how to get their music onto MD at CD quality, just let me know. My email is atikali2000@hotmail.com

At the moment though, I am looking for a Kenwood MD changer. If anyone comes across one, please let me know... Until then I suppose I'll have to stay content with my 10 disks of MP3s - approximately 3000 tracks ;)

Atik

Those MP3 units are B)

I've got a MP3 head unit and have got a program on the computer to change my Cd's to MP3 format then i just use MP3 in the car then i've always got the original if an MP3 gets scratched :thumbsup:

So if you feel ok with recording and changing formats then i'd look at a MP3/cd head unit.

Simon

Im with you on that one..

Ive just ordered a Sony X-Plod MP3 unit off e-bay.. just waitin for it to arrive in the nect few days... :hokus-pokus: :rolleyes:

I've got a MP3/Cd player and i'm really happey with it!!!

Fizz, wot 1 u gettin? Probably the same 1 as me i would imagine!!! Its quality by the way!!!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all your input.

Looks like I will be selling a Sony MD player from next week then!

I pick the car up tomorrow, so will be looking for a MP3 CD unit to fit ILO the MD unit.

:thumbsup:

When my MD player was stolen, I replaced it with CD.

wow, it hit me in the face that CD give alot more quality which i don't believe it before.

Aye Mini -Disk quality isn't that great...that's why they are so small...and get more songs on a smaller date medium, because it is not only highly compressed but also removes top/low end information...repeated components. Very much like SKY TV...again a lot of the original information is removed....so they can pile so many channals on the data stream...the digibox..then literally fills in the gaps...good old interpolation...hence you get a bit of bad weather...you lose a little more of the carrier wave...and the picture becomes all blocky as too much info is lost.

At the end of the day Analogue medium is always going to be tops on sound quality...ie the good old LP! but as we all know...that quality doesn't last. CD's were suppose to be indestructable...we all know they arn't...but they are readily avaliable, and are a good compomise for sound quality over reliability..portability. Mini-disk/s MP4 players are really only designed to allow downloading of data off the net and copying your mates cd's...

Vipes