Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Gear Issues

dacanko

Toyota Avensis 1.8 T4, 59k miles, 2005

I have noticed that when I try to engage the reverse gear from either hot or cold gear box sometimes it does not engage however if I depress the clutch and try again it goes in easy.

Anyone else have this happen (not a real problem and I can live with it) BUT for warranty purposes I would like to hear from anyone

Thanks

Cannot help on what the problem is all i can say is my old 1.8 t3x 54 plate went into reverse all the time everytime no problem, but my dads 1.8 t3x 06 plate is hard work to get reverse. Like you say if you let the clutch out and re engage the clutch it goes in. On the whole my dads cars done 20k and the box was never has smooth has my old t3x, mine went between all gears smoothly and had a nice feel, my dads seems to have a different feel to it.

I had a similar sounding issue on my 'new' 07 (15k on clock) T3-x 1.8. On the very odd occasion I couldn't select reverse or it crunched. Other symptom was a 'buzzing' vibration from the gear stick at 3k revs. Over a fairly short time (3 weeks) I could no longer reliably select 1st or 2nd either (sometimes worked fine , sometimes impossible without declutch).

Mr T replaced the "gear selection cables" 1 week ago. So far so good.

Of course I am not saying my experience is in any way related to your issue, I'm the opposite of an expert!

• 9 months later...

When I first bought my 1.8 T3X selecting reverse was really easy but I did have the buzzing gearstick. New linkage cables appeared to fix the buzzing but selecting reverse became difficult, requiring declutching. The buzzing returned a year later and a modded linkage kit was fitted, didn't cure the buzzing but reverse is easier to select now.

• 10 years later...

Got a toyota avensis make 2007 ,UK model recently it has developed a reverse gear problem ,there is also some whizzling sound from the engine.I also realized my mechanic had put in the wrong transmission fluid three months ago while servicing the vehicle.

Have sought advise from mechanics,who say its the clutches  which have slipped.

My questions,can the clutches be changed or i will need to change the whole gear box?

Kindly assist with your views ,more so owners of avensis UK model.