Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Failed - C02 Emissions

paulsutt

Hi,

Recently had a bit of a nightmare with my x reg roadster! Engine light came on and had sensors replaced..light then came back on!! to cut a long story short was told by garage after lots of tests that possibly ecu unit had blown..didnt really trust them so thought id get a second opinion. In meantime had to put it in for MOT which has failed today because of c02 emissions?! engine light is still on..have been told that they will try to read the code but should take it to Toyota dealer, which i know will cost big bucks...im at a loss what to do as no-one really seems to know what problem is. I wont pretend to know what im talking about but suspect that these emissions are due to engine light still on?

Please help.

Thanks

Paul

Wonder if there's a problem with your Pre-cats?engine may/may not be buggered.

You can buy an OBD2 READER,you plug this into a female socket located under the steering wheel.

Or I think you can bring into places like Halfords and they will do a read for you.[some places will do this for free and say no bother mate]

Here is the female port

car12007.jpg

Post up the code when you get it and we can find out what it is exactly.

ECU being blown would cause you a few more problems I would think.

What is OBD-II?

what an example of one looks like.

equus-3120-obd-tool-kit.jpg

Note:If your pre-cats are fine then if its something small that can be fixed,consider replacing your headers or gutting them.Then the next time your MOT comes around,drive it a Half hour prior to the MOT test,in 3rd gear,High revs an a good speed.I cant remember what I did prior to mine.But it heats up the engine,when they do the test it should pass emissions no problem.

If you decide to save cash and gut the material inside the stock headers,make sure you cover your mouth and nose as the material is cancerous.

Stock,with covers off

thheaders6.jpg

Aftermarket

thchesinstalled.jpg

Pre-cats guide to removal

Video of top side of precat inspection

Wonder if there's a problem with your Pre-cats?engine may/may not be buggered.

You can buy an OBD2 READER,you plug this into a female socket located under the steering wheel.

Or I think you can bring into places like Halfords and they will do a read for you.[some places will do this for free and say no bother mate]

Here is the female port

car12007.jpg

Post up the code when you get it and we can find out what it is exactly.

ECU being blown would cause you a few more problems I would think.

What is OBD-II?

what an example of one looks like.

equus-3120-obd-tool-kit.jpg

Note:If your pre-cats are fine then if its something small that can be fixed,consider replacing your headers or gutting them.Then the next time your MOT comes around,drive it a Half hour prior to the MOT test,in 3rd gear,High revs an a good speed.I cant remember what I did prior to mine.But it heats up the engine,when they do the test it should pass emissions no problem.

If you decide to save cash and gut the material inside the stock headers,make sure you cover your mouth and nose as the material is cancerous.

Stock,with covers off

thheaders6.jpg

Aftermarket

thchesinstalled.jpg

Pre-cats guide to removal

Video of top side of precat inspection

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Looks like engine is buggered..which is no surprise as i've been having the dreaded using loads of oil and engine knocking for ages. Was told a while ago that it was piston rings/pre-cat failure, although it never got worse..until now! One of the sensors that should have been replaced before wasnt so garage have replaced this and its just scrapped through MOT..allthough they have told me engine is buggered. Garage can get hold of a recon engine fitted for approx £1400 which seems pretty good to me.

I've also got hold of someone in Bham who can do whole lot for £1150 with a Premium rebuilt engine guaranteed for 3 months etc, which seems even better. Company are called JAP AUTO PARTS...was wondering if anyone has dealt with them?

Cheers

Paul

hi paul i had very similar problems with my corolla tsport, my car kept runing slugish etc and had it plugged in a t toyota, they said it was an O2 sensor had that replaced they said it was ok 20mins after pickin it up it happened again, that nite we called the AA and they pluged it in and it turned out to be the Air flow sensor not the O2 sensor which i paid big monies for!! hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions, Regards,

Luca :)

Underside view of the pre-cat.

thcatsout5-1.jpg

Sounds like a damn shame,if its consuming a lot of oil.

Well if the engine is buggered,maybe 2zz From a Lotus might tickle your fancy/

Overhead shot of the MAF.Mine is installed in an Ingen cold air intake.

injen3.jpg

See if that dirty too as per said.Some use a cleaning spray,or you can delicately clean it using a soft cloth and a lot of love.there some pics of one plugged out floating around somewhere.

Keep us posted.

All the best.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links