Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remaining Mileage Reading Problem?

chrisbolton

Hi all.

I've had my Yaris for a year now (new shape '56' plate). Running well, super economical, no problems...

However, yesterday strange things seemed to be going on with the fuel readings?

I'd been driving locally, with I guess 20-25 miles driving left (two bars lit on display; a decent 59 average mpg on the display)... intending to fill-up next day (new credit card month).

Sudden flashing bar showing just 6 miles to empty. Surprising. No single bar (non-flashing) prior to this (@ 15? miles left).

I did an 'emergency' top-up 5 litres (which would give me 50+ miles driving)

However, there was no change on 'miles to empty', the reading went from 6 to 2 (during the 3 mile journey home), i.e., the new fuel had no impact. Note: it did go to two bars on fuel gauge (not instant, but happened 1 mile into journey home).

Anyway, I know there is enough petrol in for 50 miles driving, two bars lit, yet my miles left reading is showing just '2'. I'm concerned that at the false '0' the car may break down. I need to go out and put some more petrol is later today, maybe a decent fill up with correct the glitch?

Has anyone had any experience of this and what do I do?

I guess it an electronic/computer glitch. Is it something I can sort or do I tell the dealer when I get it serviced next week, i.e., will they see pound signs?

Update: the miles to empty did go down to '0', though thankfully, the car kept going.

I put more petrol in - > ½ tank. The 'miles to empty' did reset itself and showed an appropriate number. Panic over!

Though I'll probably take action sooner next time, just in case I'm 'surprised' again.

I have the old stlye 54 plate yaris and it does similar things,the readings are sometimes not very accurate it seems to drop bars when you turn off and then turn the key on again,i dont think its a huge problem just best not to let it drop to low.

with the range meter i usually recalibrate it ever now and again by holding the button in for a few seconds when it is displaying how far you have to go,although the new yaris may be different.

cheers phil

hi guys never knew that .. will that be displayed on the digital gauge .. ive had mine to 1 flashing bar and drove it for about 20 miles ... never seen a warning telling me how many i had left

The original MK1 yaris did not have a range left meter,only the face lifted MK1 yaris had this and then the new shape yaris.

Cheers phil

The original MK1 yaris did not have a range left meter,only the face lifted MK1 yaris had this and then the new shape yaris.

Cheers phil

ive let my d4d mark II down to 1 bar but its never told me how much further i can drive .. can you please tell me how to display this?

Cheers phil

ive let my d4d mark II down to 1 bar but its never told me how much further i can drive .. can you please tell me how to display this?

On the right hand side of the display just under the clock. If you press the button next to it it will change what ever is displayed there, to -MPG-Ave MPG-Temp-Mile(left)-

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links