Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Juddering

Nancy16

Hi, I'm a new poster and need some help. Bought a Carina E and recently it's started playing up.

On short journeys it's fine but on longer ones the following happens. Driving along at approximately 50mph when the feel of the accelerator changes....sort of gritty...and she starts juddering .....press down and she continues on.

Arrive at lights and she starts juddering again. The other day, waiting to park it was embarrassing, she was shaking so much.

Later got back into the car, judders a little, pray it won't stall at the lights, get onto the main road and she goes like a bird.

There's no pattern except for the longer distance so I assume the heating up of the engine must have something to do with it.

When I first bought the car the engine didn't idle at lights but raced so obviously set too high. This has now stopped so I don't know what's going on.

Thanks

Nancy

Hey nancy, sounds like you need some injector treatment in your tank, i just bought some today after

replying to barry last night, it only cost a fiver

could be fuel pressure regulator or faulty fuel pump, try changing fuel filter first though.

Good luck with it :D

Hey nancy, sounds like you need some injector treatment in your tank, i just bought some today after

replying to barry last night, it only cost a fiver

could be fuel pressure regulator or faulty fuel pump, try changing fuel filter first though.

Good luck with it :D

Thanks for your reply. The car's in the garage as I type. The mechanic checked just about everything including the clutch which was my main worry....expensive! He then decided that it must be the distributor cap, I think about £10. He ordered that but when it arrived not only was there the cap but everything else , about £150 worth so he changed everything. Still misfiring.

I suggested the injectors after reading some of the threads on here so he's going to do that tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll give him your list! lol

I'll post the final outcome when and if it happens because it might help others.

Cheers

Nancy

OUCH! :o thats steep, the injectors are about £100+ for a set, do hope it's not them. :(

Just put mine through an mot today, only had one advisory, replace front brake pipe,

I'll get ruond to that next wk. :D

keep us posted as to what your mechanic recommends B)

OUCH! :o thats steep, the injectors are about £100+ for a set, do hope it's not them. :(

Just put mine through an mot today, only had one advisory, replace front brake pipe,

Found it! It's one of the injectors. Now where did I see a supplier for secondhand ones?

Cheers

Nancy

Found it! It's one of the injectors. Now where did I see a supplier for secondhand ones?

Cheers

Nancy

Unfortunately I require a blue injector at £70. A new one is double and that's for one. Could have had a grey one for £30 but they apparently don't fit so buying one seems a bit pointless. lol

Can't deliver until Monday Aargh!

Nancy

STREWTH!!!!!! :jawdrop: you mean £140 for one injector thats criminal,

if i was you i'd buy new cos with second hand you don't know how long it's gonna last.

STREWTH!!!!!! :jawdrop: you mean £140 for one injector thats criminal,

if i was you i'd buy new cos with second hand you don't know how long it's gonna last.

No! £70 for one injector (blue) until I started receiving more replies. Talk about a range of prices. Anyway finally ordered one for approx £29.70 which is better. Seems some suppliers are just greedy.

Any idea how much a distributor cap is? When the mechanic phoned me I'm certain that he said £10 but they had sent £150 worth. Yesterday it changed to £30.

Took the car out yesterday and she was definitely better even without the new injector. I wasn't bouncing all over the road. I explained to the mechanic that she wasn't bouncing at the lights and he informed me that being an automatic it was just revving to go.! Duh!

I think I know the difference between bounce and rev. Dipstick!

Nancy

:lol: dipstick indeed, last time i ordered a dizzy and rotor arm (i always change both at the same time)

was november and it was under a tenner for both, that was from unipart.

where did you order your injector from?

:lol: dipstick indeed, last time i ordered a dizzy and rotor arm (i always change both at the same time)

was november and it was under a tenner for both, that was from unipart.

where did you order your injector from?

Went through 1st. Choice but the company which rang me with the £29. quote was Foreign Car Spares, Birmingham.

The prices ranged from £29 through to £70 but Japp was definitely the most expensive. Also had a quote from a company mentioned on the Money Saving Expert website and steered clear of them.

Will let you know the outcome from 1st Choice. Delivery either Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for the prices. Might have a wander on the Unipart website.

Nancy

At least it's getting sorted at a reasonable price.

Heres a few more sites i go on for spares:

virgin auto parts

BMF group

hadrian body panels

autoparts online

discount car parts

eternal car parts and express car parts

and there's gsf (german, swedish and french)

virgin auto parts

BMF group

hadrian body panels

autoparts online

discount car parts

Thanks for the list. Injector arrived this morning from Foreign Car Spares via recorded delivery.

So far....impressed. Then had an e-mail from Ist Choice asking my opinion of the service.

I'm impressed and will definitely go back to them.

Nancy. :

virgin auto parts

BMF group

hadrian body panels

autoparts online

discount car parts

Thanks for the list. Injector arrived this morning from Foreign Car Spares via recorded delivery.

So far....impressed. Then had an e-mail from Ist Choice asking my opinion of the service.

I'm impressed and will definitely go back to them.

Nancy. :

Just to let you know the final outcome. It was the injector and now she goes like a bird. The ouch was when I got the bill.....£126. and that didn't include the injector! Heigh ho.

Now I've e-mailed FCS to see if they have an original car radio.

Thanks for the help

Nancy

Hey Nancy, glad to hear you're up and running again at a cost tho'.

I'm sure a whole car on eBay would have cost about that. :lol:

Anyway, might be able to help you out with the original radio i have two of them, :D

send me a pm if you want one. :)

• 4 years later...

My '94 GLi Estate has developed a nasty vibration from 55-65 mph but only under power. I have had all four wheels balanced but that has not cured it. One of the guys at my local garage thinks it could be a bulge in one of the tyres but another of the guys is now saying it could be a driveshaft. Do you have any ideas???????????????????????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links