Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E (rain) Water Leak

JohnD1

Rain water leaks in Toyota Carina P reg hatchback

When the car has been parked up for a couple of weeks, during heavy rain, I find water pooling in the rear left hand side passemger footwell. I have also found the front left hand passenger carpet wet.

The car is parked on level ground in front of my house (not a cambered road) the lowest pont being to the rear right hand side.

The window and door are tightly shut and I can't see how its getting in.

The boot seems dry. I can't see water marks on the door. Does anyone know where the rear washer pipe runs? I have not yet started pulling the trim and carpets up. I have the Haynes maual but it doesn't help.

As the water has appeared after the car has been unused for a couple of weeks I don't think it's being thrown up from underneath. It might be that when the car was in daily use, the heater and ventilation dried out the carpet, and I wasn't aware of the problem.

Does your car have AirCon?

Our old Micra had a similar problem and it turned out to be the pipe that lets the water out of dehumidifier from the A/C was blocked causing the water was coming back and into the cabin.

Thanks for the suggestion, good idea..

It does have air con, but it lost pressure a couple of years ago, and after having it recharged twice, I gave up and stopped using it. Also the water is in the back, so I don't think its condensate.

Has it got a sunroof? On alot of cars, a common fault is that the drain pipes can get blocked over time.

Sunroofs naturally leak, and when the drains block it has to go somewhere. And that's in the roof and down any place it can find! Not sure about the carina, but on the avensis they are on the front two corners of the sunroof opening. A good test is to fill the sunroof opening with water and make sure it comes out the bottom. (If you have drain pipes!!!)

:thumbsup:

If the water seems to coming in during heavy rain,why not take the car to a car-wash and sit inside during the wash, the force of one of those things should make any leak quite obvious, or have someone spray a pressure washer over it while you are inside.

Another good idea, thanks. I will take off the door trim and boot lining first, and I have heard that blowing talcum powder around helps highlight the tracks of drips and runs.

Thanks for the suggs, it has been raining today and I was crawling around looking for the point of entry. It is weeping from the bottom of the rear door trim, filling up the groove in the rubber draught seal, and running in under the internal plastic sill cover.

When I shake the door, I can't hear any water splashing about, so I think it must be running down the inside of the trim, maybe the membrane has become dislodged. Surprisingly, I can't feel any drain holes in the bottom of the door, so I will probably drill some.

However... I haven't yet managed to get the window winder off so I can remove the door trim and fix the prob. Haynes says pull out the retaining spring with a bit of bent welding rod (which I haven't got) but I can't see this spring. Can anyone describe how to get this winder spring off?

ta

I've got the spring out now (it is actually a broad circlip hidden under the winder hub; you have to pull the closed end, I used long nosed pliers) and taken off the door trim. The cause appears to be that there are two pieces of polythene sheet inside the door, one of them was probably supposed to be tucked inside the door Shell, so that water penetrating the window would run down it and fall to the bottom of the door inside the Shell, and the other is in contact with the door trim.

The inner one had come outside the door cavity, possibly when a dent was repaired, so that water could run down it, then down the second sheet, then fall out of the bottom of the door trim and thence find its way down onto the carpet.

I have poked the "shell" polythene back into the door Shell, may secure it with some tape, and before refitting the trim will watch on the next rainy day to see if the prob is cured.

should have read this one first! :blink:

Alas, not yet cured. It looks as if the inner polythene sheet is stuck to the door using a thick bead of black sealant, which also acts to direct the flow of any water down to a hole on the inner diir skin, so that it gets back into the Shell and runs out of the bottom of the door.

My sealant bead has become detached, so it no longer dams the flow of water. I suppose I will have to put a new bead in, and perhaps even cut a new polythene sheet. I am thinking of using a Gutter Sealant gun, looks to be some kind of synthetic mastic and will presumably stand up to wet better than acrylic seal.

The gap at the bottom of the window looks surprisingly wide, about 2mm to 3mm. Shouldn't there be a rubber wiper in contact with the glass?

Anyone else had to do a similar job?

Clear bath sealant will do. You can get the gun type or squeezy bottles now.