Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem After Cambelt Replacement.

voo

I've just had the cambelt replaced in my T reg RAV4. Before this, when idling, the car was quite silent. Now I can hear a faint ch ch ch sound and the floor shakes a little. Does this normally happen just after a cambelt change or should I take it back to the garage mechanic?

I've just had the cambelt replaced in my T reg RAV4. Before this, when idling, the car was quite silent. Now I can hear a faint ch ch ch sound and the floor shakes a little. Does this normally happen just after a cambelt change or should I take it back to the garage mechanic?

Sounds like he has screwed something big time there!

Thanks Gods gift. Oh dear it sounds bad. Do you know what the mechanic would have to do to rectify this please?

Does anyone know what the tachometer reading should be when the car is idling please?

Thanks Gods gift. Oh dear it sounds bad. Do you know what the mechanic would have to do to rectify this please?

Does anyone know what the tachometer reading should be when the car is idling please?

should idle around 800

Ye - sounds like the timing is out by a tooth or two.

I just taken it back to garage and mechanic says that if the drive belt was a tooth out the car wouldn't drive at all. Is this true please?

You would know for sure if it was a tooth out because it would be either "flat" one way or or "back firing" the other , this was advice given to me by anchorman when i did my own cam belt last week , i had similar problems , mine now ticks over better than it did before replacing belt , it sorted itself out after a few hours of driving.

try taking the earth off the Battery and press the brake pedal twice, this will reset the ecu and may sort your problems.

Lo there...

sorry to hear about your Rav...

Think the best man for this one is MR Anchorman the resident guru :arabia: himself.....

YOU THERE ???????

regards

Rob

B)

It is possible to get the tension wrong when fitting a timing belt, a badly fitted timing belt will make strange noises weather to tight or too loose :( other possible problems are engine mounting not correctly refitted etc.

Take the vehicle back and say you're not happy with it, it make noises it didn't before, ask him to re-check the timing belt tension and other parts he removed to do the job.

If you're still not happy with the job, say your going to get the timing belt job independently inspected by the RAC/AA and if his workmanship is found to be at fault, you will take him to court to recover your costs ( sound a bid heavy handed but as an ex-mechanic it rattles me when i here about poor workmanship ).

Thanks for the information Bob King. I'm going to give it a longer trial but I'll definitely do as you recommend if the problem is still there. It is very annoying when the engine was so quiet before.

Lo there...

Think the best man for this one is MR Anchorman the resident guru :arabia: himself.....

YOU THERE ???????

regards

Rob

B)

Lo there...

YOU THERE ???????

regards

Rob

B)

Hello Nightstalker I hope Mr. Anchorman sees my thread, any information I get is gratefully received. Thanks.

I have to fit time in for work now and again! :P

As discussed above the engine will either lack power or backfire if they got the timing wrong but I am a little bit suspicious about this noise you describe. It has the indications of a misfire which could be associated but could be a seperate issue. If you gently press the accelerator while stationary does it disappear and has it affected the power or fuel economy? If it is misfiring it could just be a loose or detached vacuum pipe which are possible to dislodge or could have been left detached when the belt was done.

Incorrect tension of the belt could cause some strange noises but not the vibration.

Try these things and then if push comes to shove you could have a ride over to Chapel-en-leFrith and let me listen.

Thanks anchorman I feel a bit neurotic about this and as I don't know much about mechanics. I've a retired mechanic friend who has listened to the engine. When the automatic choke is in operation the engine revs at 1200. After 5 minutes of idling time it does go down to 800. It does drive OK but when stopped at traffic lights I can feel a slight vibration on the steering wheel, which I know wasn't there before. I hope it improves after some miles of driving. I just feel there's something wrong. When I press the accelerator gently I can't hear the noise. I feel disappointed it's not purring like a kitten as it did before.

I can't see it getting better but give it a while and if necesary we can meet somewhere down the Hope Vally while I listen.

Cheers

When I started it this morning the rev counter said 1200 before it went down to 800. I've just started it now 5.20 pm and the reading was 1500. I haven't waited for it to go down because it was taking so long, but it was going down slowly. I must admit I've not taken this much notice of this before I had cambelt changed. I just started it up and gone on my way. Should it be like this every time I start it up? The retired mechanic who listened to the engine said that it was running a bit quick but my husband said that it was the automatic choke, and nothing else was said about it.

Also is it normal to feel a vibration on the steering wheel? When husband held steering wheel he said he couldn't feel anything, but I can and son can. Thanks.

When I started it this morning the rev counter said 1200 before it went down to 800. I've just started it now 5.20 pm and the reading was 1500. I haven't waited for it to go down because it was taking so long, but it was going down slowly. I must admit I've not taken this much notice of this before I had cambelt changed. I just started it up and gone on my way. Should it be like this every time I start it up? The retired mechanic who listened to the engine said that it was running a bit quick but my husband said that it was the automatic choke, and nothing else was said about it.

Also is it normal to feel a vibration on the steering wheel? When husband held steering wheel he said he couldn't feel anything, but I can and son can. Thanks.

the power steering is supplied by a pump and a rubber belt which uses the same pulley as the timing belt to drive the steering pump so to speak, im beginning to think the noise you can hear is possibly an over tightened power steering belt , which could lead to an over worked pump causing vibration through the steering or someone prised it with something to take the belt off and its now miss aligned..

it has to be something in that area thats not right as these are the things the mechanic that did the job would of had to remove to do the job.

Thanks GT4 BOOSTER. I hope I can persuade my husband to take notice of me and get it sorted with the mechanic who did the job. I would like to take it to AA or RAC but it will be too expensive, it was our local garage mechanic that did the job and I'm really regretting having him do it now. When I took it to him with my concerns he said there's nothing wrong with it.

I didn't know you were a girlie when I offered to meet you! Not that I prefer meeting blokes but I don't want to get on the wrong side of anchorwoman (that would be bad).

I revise my offer to eventually meet an appropriate member of the voo family if you think it would be helpful!!!

Thanks for giving me a good laugh Anchorman when I'm feeling ****** off about the RAV4. I don't think Anchorwoman would be bothered at all if she could see me. I think it's a great forum with friendly, helpful people. I really appreciate your offer of help when I feel so helpless and misunderstood about the cambelt problem. As a woman, the way I see it is that the cambelt is OK. The ch ch ch problem probably, as GT4 BOOSTER says, is the over-tightened power steering belt.

Can I ask you about the revs when I start the car up? Today, the first time I turned the engine on, the rev counter said 1,200. It eventually went down to 800. A few hours later it read 1,500 and it went down to 1,000, but no lower. This was while idling. Before the cambelt was replaced I'm certain it started off on lower revs and the engine was very quiet. It seems to take a long time for the engine to quieten down than it did before.

Also would it help to take the earth off the Battery and press the brake pedal twice slowly as GT4 BOOSTER says, or is this a joke?

Hi Voo - I don't know about the earth off and press brake pedal twice to reset ECU myself, but I have no reason to doubt it, as there are a number of functions on the cars that are accessed in what seems very odd ways.

For example, to set the central locking to lock automatically on ignition start (an anti-carjacking feature), you do something like open and close the door 6 times while turning the ignition on and off at the same time :eek: - sounds mad, huh!!

Seriously, I am not :no:

I would paste the article but am on diif computer at moment. I'll have a search and see if I can find it.

That particular feature took about 30 minutes to get the sequence right to enable it (you only do it once! :D ) but I think it is worth it as when you start the car it locks the doors and when you stop it, they unlock again automatically. call me odd (many do ;) ) but I like that.