Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Kit

Beagh1958

Have 03 model Avensis with the next to useless dipped beam lights. Have read many postings regarding HID Kits, but having so many different versions to choose from including kits on auction sites it's a bit up in the air. I require a road legal kit with clear bright white light without any tinge of blue, no over the top voltage kits that blind all & sundry.

Has anybody on the forum through previous postings come up with the best kit available? Please with respect no moaning & groaning about these crappy dipped beams, I can do enough of that myself. Just the best all round HID kit. Thank you before hand for anybody who can point me in the right direction.

Come on someone must have an idea. I know this subject has been posted many many times but someone must have an idea, PLEASE.

Have 03 model Avensis with the next to useless dipped beam lights. Have read many postings regarding HID Kits, but having so many different versions to choose from including kits on auction sites it's a bit up in the air. I require a road legal kit with clear bright white light without any tinge of blue, no over the top voltage kits that blind all & sundry.

Has anybody on the forum through previous postings come up with the best kit available? Please with respect no moaning & groaning about these crappy dipped beams, I can do enough of that myself. Just the best all round HID kit. Thank you before hand for anybody who can point me in the right direction.

hi had the same problem myself,try "hids4u.co.uk"

To Rossy,

Ran through whole site today & checked vehicle handbook against firms suggested kit ( 55w ) but Toyota handbook advises use off 35w kit for HID conversion. 35w kit is CE approved just wondering if you went for the 55w or if you went with 35w kit. If you went for 55w have you had any problems or has it all been good news. Think i will play safe and go the 35w route, any answer would be much appreciated as car will be going to new owner soon, HID kit being part of the deal.

Regards, Beagh1958.

To Rossy,

Ran through whole site today & checked vehicle handbook against firms suggested kit ( 55w ) but Toyota handbook advises use off 35w kit for HID conversion. 35w kit is CE approved just wondering if you went for the 55w or if you went with 35w kit. If you went for 55w have you had any problems or has it all been good news. Think i will play safe and go the 35w route, any answer would be much appreciated as car will be going to new owner soon, HID kit being part of the deal.

Regards, Beagh1958.

I've got a 35w Ultimate kit fitted to my Corolla and I've had no problems since fitting the kit nearly a year now. The 35w kit is bright enough and I think is less likely to cause any complications.

To Rossy & Ed-Shek,

Spoke to company in question (see pm to rossy) brilliant had everything I required, answered all my questions. Went for 35w kit, in the post allready.

Regards to both of you, Beagh.

To Rossy & Ed-Shek,

I received lighting kit from "HIDS4U.co.uk" as suggested by yourself Rossi, had kit fitted in a couple of hr's O/S headlamp a little tricky, N/S no problem. Just come in from work, remembering I live in the countryside with absolutely no road lighting of any kind & can only describe lights as exceptional. To Ed-Shek, lights just as your photograph shows, exceptional. Thanks for advice & company name. Regards, Beagh.

P.S. Ordered on the 11th-Aug-08 arrived on the 14th-Aug-08. Would highly recommend "HIDS4U.co.uk" for anybody looking to get rid of crap standard dipped beams.

• 3 months later...
Glad to be of help and another satisfied customer from Hids4u! :D

I have been looking for pics of the process of the conversion , you did not by chance take any did you ?

I am not dim (not as dim as my lights anyway) but pics would help!

Cheers

Steve

To Steve Martin,

You will not need pictures, system comes with fitting instructions, it really is pretty much plug & play. Ballast units just need to be mounted away from any heat source, mine being mounted to inner wings away from engine heat. If you want to PM me your email, i can send some pictures, will leave it with you.

Regards, Beagh.

• 11 months later...
To Steve Martin,

You will not need pictures, system comes with fitting instructions, it really is pretty much plug & play. Ballast units just need to be mounted away from any heat source, mine being mounted to inner wings away from engine heat. If you want to PM me your email, i can send some pictures, will leave it with you.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi All

Does fitting HID's invalidate insurance

To Steve Martin,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi All

It well may do - but you would need to ask your insurers for a definitive answer.

Under EU regulations HID (sometimes refered to as Xenon) lighting must comply with ECE Regulation 48. This stipulates the headlight lens must be suitable and appropriate, the vehicle must have headlight washers, and fitted with a self-levelling system.

The Dept of transport issued a fact sheet in November 2006 - see link below.

If you consult the terms of your insurance it is very likely to state that if you modify the car you should notify them. Should you fail to notify them the insurers could argue you failed to keep to the agreement and as a result may invalidate any insurance cover you may have.

But if your modifications comply with the relevant Road Safety regulations, etc. I don't see why it should make any difference to your cover but to be sure it would be prudent to seek their advice first and foremost. It also has to be remembered just because the vehicle passes an MOT with unapproved lighting doesn't necessarily mean that it complies with the releveant regulations. Again it may be worth consulting VOSA on the matter.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

To Steve Martin,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi All

It well may do - but you would need to ask your insurers for a definitive answer.

Under EU regulations HID (sometimes refered to as Xenon) lighting must comply with ECE Regulation 48. This stipulates the headlight lens must be suitable and appropriate, the vehicle must have headlight washers, and fitted with a self-levelling system.

If you consult the terms of your insurance it is very likely to state that if you modify the car you should notify them. Should you fail to notify them the insurers could argue you failed to keep to the agreement and as a result may invalidate any insurance cover you may have.

But if your modifications comply with the relevant Road Safety regulations, etc. I don't see why it should make any difference to your cover but to be sure it would be prudent to seek their advice first and foremost. It also has to be remembered just because the vehicle passes an MOT with unapproved lighting doesn't necessarily mean that it complies with the releveant regulations. Again it may be worth consulting VOSA on the matter.

Thanks for that reply.......been through the notes (very informative). Anyway called my insurers who contacted the underwriters......They included "upgrade to main lighting system" in the policy at no extra cost. So tomorrow, will go ahead and upgrade.

Another question: Is 5000k or 6000k better for the brightest light?........not looking for fancy blue lighting!!!

To Steve Martin,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi All

Thanks for that reply.......been through the notes (very informative). Anyway called my insurers who contacted the underwriters......They included "upgrade to main lighting system" in the policy at no extra cost. So tomorrow, will go ahead and upgrade.

Another question: Is 5000k or 6000k better for the brightest light?........not looking for fancy blue lighting!!!

Hello to all, 5k is the brightest light of the two you quote ... many people believe that the higher the color temperature the brighter the lamp. This is totally wrong. The color temperature is purely a scale to measure the color of the light output. It is a reference purely for color and could equally be called White , Green or Blue.The reality is the higher up the scale the lamps are the less bright they become. 4100K lamps are approx 20% brighter (measured in Lumens not degrees K) than the 6000K. The two most popular kits sold are the 4300K and the 6000K, the 4.3K will give you almost a pure white and the 6K has a slightly blue hue. It is a popular misbelief that the higher the temperature the brighter the bulb, the suns light is around 5.7k.

Regards Pete. ;)

To Steve Martin,

Regards, Beagh.

Hi All

Hello to all, 5k is the brightest light of the two you quote ... many people believe that the higher the color temperature the brighter the lamp. This is totally wrong. The color temperature is purely a scale to measure the color of the light output. It is a reference purely for color and could equally be called White , Green or Blue.The reality is the higher up the scale the lamps are the less bright they become. 4100K lamps are approx 20% brighter (measured in Lumens not degrees K) than the 6000K. The two most popular kits sold are the 4300K and the 6000K, the 4.3K will give you almost a pure white and the 6K has a slightly blue hue. It is a popular misbelief that the higher the temperature the brighter the bulb, the suns light is around 5.7k.

Regards Pete. ;)

Greetings, Got the HID's sorted. Went for the 6000k with amazing results. Just gotta get them aligned. Anyway apart from the OTT LED strips, anyone recommend any matching bright or white sidelights? rather then the dim yellow.

Hi

I got these ones, they are warm white led w5w bulbs a direct replacement for your t10 side light bulb , they are perfectly white not a hint of blue off them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-168-19...sQ5fAccessories

the postage is a bit of a wait but they are worth it

ORDERED!!!

Hi

I got these ones, they are warm white led w5w bulbs a direct replacement for your t10 side light bulb , they are perfectly white not a hint of blue off them

may sound a bit obvious..........but are they easy to fit?

Hi

may sound a bit obvious..........but are they easy to fit?

Well as you have a diesel engine i can't comment as i don't know . for me the drivers side sidelight is the easiest and the passenger side i loosen the bar that holds the Battery in and then push the airintake out of the way, which is held in postion by one clip.but if you have small hands it'll be much easier.

just be gentle with the bulbs, and when you have the new bulb in, try it to see if it works before putting the holder back in, if the bulb doesen't work remove it and turn it around and try again. just remember to have a little patience and do it slowly so you remember what you did.

I hope this makes sense....!!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

cheers Matey......great match ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links