Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Dashboard Lights Colour

yannick

I've tried to change the colour of the dashboard lights in my 2003 Avensis. I managed to undo the instrument cluster easily enough (just a few screws and pull it out) and then I looked at the back. I can't find any light bulbs at all. It all seems a single unit and I hesitate to try to pull it apart any farther until I'm sure of what I'm doing. :blink:

Has anyone attempted this yet? I've got a few pictures of the operation, and if anyone's interested I can post them. They might help to point out exactly where the unit comes apart.

I'm sure that I'm missing something, because surely Toyota made bulb replacement fairly easy for garages to do... :help:

The new Avensis does not use bulbs, uses LEDs like the Celica instead.

Does that mean that it's impossible to change, or just more difficult?

Probably impossible. Isn't it that optitron type thing where you get it always illuminated? If thats the case, isn't it currently white? In which case, why would you want to change it?

Orange - Yes I can see why you would want to change it, the Corolla T-Spirit uses white optitron which I think looks nice, you could enquire into how they are done on that.

Looks like I'm going to have to see a Toyota garage or some car electrics expert on this one :unsure: White sounds interesting...

For posterity, if anyone finds this thread, the story continues in the General Discussions forum under the title Optitron Dashboard. If you have any comments, please make them in that thread.

I am determined to change the colour of my dashboard, so it will also feature in the workshop submissions once it's done.