Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Selling My Mr2

Penelope Pitstop

After much thought i have decided to sell my MR2 next spring ... :( I have had it now for 3 yrs and i was hoping Toyota was going to bring out a new model which they arnt.......so i have decided i am going to buy a Boxter S instead....i will be sooooo sad :( when i hand the keys over to someone else as i have owned the car from new...I wandered what other people opinions are on the Boxter S as i dont want to default as yet to another site :( :( ...PP

Sorry to hear that PP.

I had a Boxster S (on an 03 plate so not the current one) before the MR2 and I'd say there are pluses and minuses compared to the MR2 - .

Yes, the Boxster is a great car in many respects. Handling is incredible and it's one of the best cars I've ever driven - IMHO better than quite a few cars that cost a lot more money. There's also a lot of luggage space compared to the MkIII MR2 - though probably not quite as much as the MkII.

But be prepared for it to cost you a lot more money to run than your MR2 does. I don't think Porsche's quality is on a par with Toyota's, their dealers aren't as good in my opinion, and the price of parts is ridiculous. Tyres, Petrol, Insurance and just about anything you care to think about will cost you more.

If money is no object then go ahead, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Beware that as with most cars, if you don't buy the top of the range you may regret it. I get the impression that people take the p out of the regular car much more than the S, which is crazy because the regular car is good in its own right; the S is better though. Even with the S, all other Porsche owners will look down on you; even those driving the big VW tractor thingumy (literally and figuratively in their case).

The one good thing money wise is that they hold their value well - at least that's good if you come to sell it. I was fairly happy with the amount of money I got back after almost 2 years of ownership (sold privately though; if I'd sold it back to the stealership it would have been a different story). I think I'd have lost slightly less money in total on an MR2, but as a percentage of the £42,000 ish purchase price (including a couple of options) I felt the depreciation wasn't too bad at all.

Be prepared to be terrified every single time you park it anywhere you can't see it. I confess I'm always this way with my cars, but I didn't dare park the Boxster anywhere that was the slightest bit dodgy. Nothing ever happened to it but I think that was only because I was very, very careful with it. Someone did break into my house and took one of the keys which I think is an increasing trend with this type of car; fortunately the police had a pretty good idea who had done that, even though there were no finger prints or anything else to go on, and they recovered the key within a week, but it was a fairly traumatic experience.

I'm not sure whether I'd have another one; I think I would if money was no object. But otherwise the MR2 offers about 90% of the fun of the Boxster for a fraction of the cost, and there are other advantages of MR2 ownership too.

HTH

Hello and thanks for ur detailed reply,,i agree with evrythin you say and i am paranoid of were i park my MR2 and thats why it is in mint condition,,,,i am going to go over to the nearest dealership on the weekend just for a nosey altho when i have saw on u tube trailers for the boxter s especially a red one it does look very much like my roadster :) .....i wandered what insurance group it falls into in comparison to the MR2......and i also wandered what type of monies for services ect and how much it will do to the gallon,,,,,....hmmmm i was all for it last night and now i am havin sum doubts :( ,,anyhow i will take a look on weekend and see how i feel.......

Can't remember the group, but it's pretty high. I think you'll need to ask your insurance company.

I have many years driving without claims and have passed my IAM test and I still found that half the insurers I spoke to wouldn't even quote me on the Boxster.

Good luck with your shopping. Porsche garages tend to do generous test drives so you'll have a blast.

I took my dad's ordinary boxster for a second service at the local porsche dealer and it cost 570 quid! (not including brakes).

Although it was the best day I ever had driving round in that car, even though it was just a normal one, so I expect the S to be more special. (However I am only 21, and drive a diesel Corolla day-to-day, so anything is probably going to be amazing to me :lol: )

Hmmmm in two minds what i think,,,would i be scared of were i leave it ,,(i am with my MR2)...i saw a few Carreras(sp) today on M62 and i got excited lookin at them and i was thinkin how cool it lukd and then i thought right i am going to get a boxter s (poor mans porsche do people call it)one minute i am gettin one and then i think why?????especially when i had my car valeted today and it lukd fantastic,,plus i am feeling guilty when i look at my car that i am thinking i am selling it :wacko: anyway if it happens i was thinkin nxt spring ,,,so i dunno its a difficult desicion :!Removed!:

IMG_0698mr2.jpg

MR2.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::yes::yes::yes:

I know , i know it luks real sweet and i soooo luk after my MR2...P.P

You get rid of you Roadster and I'll...I'll...I'll.....Get really angry :ffs: :P :lol:

I know a lady member on another forum who got rid of her Roadster for a Boxer :yes:

Didn't last long and she is now back with the MR2 ;)

This is the most depressing thread i've read in a while, it reminds me that in a couple of hours i'll be signing my car over and trading it in for a..... Renault, it gets worse.... Megane, still not done..... 1.4 16v :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'll be missing out on all the thrilling driving round the twisty B roads, and swaping it for the mundane motorway miles in a megane. Life really does hate me eh? - on the plus side i'll be able to fit my sports bag in the boot, YAY!! :(

on the plus side i'll be able to fit my sports bag in the boot, YAY!! :(

Should have bought a MkII ;)

on the plus side i'll be able to fit my sports bag in the boot, YAY!! :(

Should have bought a MkII ;)

Or I should stop playing sport...decisions, decisions!!

This is the most depressing thread i've read in a while, it reminds me that in a couple of hours i'll be signing my car over and trading it in for a..... Renault, it gets worse.... Megane, still not done..... 1.4 16v :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'll be missing out on all the thrilling driving round the twisty B roads, and swaping it for the mundane motorway miles in a megane. Life really does hate me eh? - on the plus side i'll be able to fit my sports bag in the boot, YAY!! :(

:(

:(

GOOD NEWS!! - Because of the credit crunch and the new risk for lenders of finance I didn't get excepted :D :D ... so my MR2 is still at home parked on the drive, that's the last time I have a knee ***** reaction to losing a clutch and an alternator in 3 weeks!! Just to get things straight it was put down to me not living at my address long enough that they pulled the plug on it, but in more than one way I think they've done me a favour. Next stop CHIPPING!! and maybe 150bhp??

Just noticed my blatant typo!!... Anyway, I'm glad It's staying and on another positive note it's given me a kick up the backside to give it some TLC, and when I get some money I might buy the car some new goodies as a token of my appreciation. B)

• 4 weeks later...
After much thought i have decided to sell my MR2 next spring ... :( I have had it now for 3 yrs and i was hoping Toyota was going to bring out a new model which they arnt.......so i have decided i am going to buy a Boxter S instead....i will be sooooo sad :( when i hand the keys over to someone else as i have owned the car from new...I wandered what other people opinions are on the Boxter S as i dont want to default as yet to another site :( :( ...PP

Was in a similar position last year and VERY nearly bought a Boxster......

Boxster is a fantastic car and as others have said handles very well and is pretty reliable, the difference with me though was my budjet would have only got me an early-ish 2.5 model with mid-high miles, and given the car was only being bought as a sunday toy - expensive servicing and lack of outright performance made me look elsewhere....

In the end I opted for the little plastic VX below, awesome performance and handling - if a little basic, but on my fave B-Road on a sunday morning it's pretty much unbeatable. :)

rabiatared4.jpg

........cant make my mind up,,,,,,,,,my friend had one of those vauxhalls and it looked real neat on my drive,,it was also red like ur picture......thanks for posting the photo...PP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links