Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Idea Out Of The Window

Yarisboy

Hi, long story short... no one will insure me sensibly on a celica and I don't have 3500 quid to spend insuring a £1500 car.

after alot of advice from insurers i've decided to play the game their way... :yes:

so, small cars... with small engines, any ideas?

knowlson has suggested a 106 1.3 rallye which appeals to me alot as it sounds like revvy fun.

if i'm not having masses of power and torque, then it has to be fun or good/rewarding to drive.

so I await your suggestions/opinions once again!

Sam

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yarisboy

• Oli

• knowlson

• dave5282

What group is the Celica?

Did you try Tesco?

Under my dad's name i got insured on my new celica for £1300 and i'm only 20 with an SP30 for speeding and an accident at my fault (early days. tut tut)

Everyone else was quoting 3000 - 5000 and some even laughed down the phone. Chris Knott advised me to get something like the YTS and i replied "i've already got one!" LOL

You really start to see how much they vary..

Another one.. My mate @ 18 paid £1700 TPT&F on a swift GTI the next year it was £700 fully comp. In 1 year it droped a grand and the car is now fully covered.

Keep on trying mate. is it the 2L GTi you are trying to get?

Well the Paseo is an import, and will probably have the insurance attached...

The 106 quicksilver is a 1.6, so will be pricey.

The 106 rallye sounds like a decent comprimise..

You can also get a Clio 1.2 sport? depending on how much you want to spend, there an awful lot of choices (more than you would imagine)...

I'd reccomend looking at that little Diahatsu (cant remember the name), but a small 3-door hatch with a 800cc 3-cylinder turbo, cheap to insure, but apparantly a lot of fun...

its a Diahatsu gtti, there quite nice little cars!! but don't really know much about them!?

if i were you i'd definatly get the 106 rallye, there great fun!! and pretty quick for a little car!

have your tried a starlet gt turbo? i'm 20 with 0 ncb and 3 points (sp30) and its costs me £1300 a year which isn't to bad really!

Marc

No mate, Paseo is a UK car officially released by Toyota. Its only classed as an import if the manufacturer doesn't officially release it. :thumbsup:

However, every one was made in Japan I believe, so in a way they are. They were just rare ish <_< .

I seem to have that same cough 97, *Cough* Paseo *Cough* :lol:

1st thing is the french suck! :lol: And all their cars suck.

:arrgg-matey:

I was 19 when i got my 1998 S Reg Celica GT. I insured the car (for value of £6000) with Adrian Flux for £1800 3rd Party - NO NCB .

So i'd give them a call before you join all the other bling bling baseball cap boys with their Rallye's and Saxo VTR's :lol:

Im only kidding, its just that i hate ALL french cars and would find it very hard to buy something that wasnt japanese. :thumbsup:

Just think about it...2000cc.....175bhp(approx)......coupe......birds love sports cars.......Celica!.......Jap engineering........ :drool:

:lol:

I wouldnt recommend a 106/Saxo as the brakes have been voted the worst ever by many owners, also if safety is important to you they did appalingly in the euro-ncap crash tests, they also fall apart.

If you want something sportish but small, then either keep the Yaris, a Starlet SR, Daihatsu Sirion Rally etc.

Personally I would keep the Yaris, high quality, nice to drive, did very well in the crash tests etc.

106 1.3 rallye :D

It's cheap you can get one for under 2k group 9 insurance I got one when i was 18 insured for 850 with adrian flux.

get one I agree that french cars are :ffs: coz most of the people drive them are baseball cap wearing bum boys, but the rallye is diffrent type of car compared to the other 106 models!!!! there cheap to fix up and parts are easy to get :thumbsup:

but try adrian fluz they have just done my rolla for 850 fullycomp with the charger :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yo knowlson whats the story behind your rolla?

Did you do the engine swap yourself?

I never asked before :D

Yo knowlson whats the story behind your rolla?

Did you do the engine swap yourself?

I never asked before  :D

hehe nah man mate of mine did it for me :thumbsup:

I just told him what I wanted and he did it top price also and he ended up making it unique with all the super strut suspension he manged to fit in:thumbsup:

wanted to go for the 3sgte but did not when I found out the 4wd was a real ***** to shove in the rolla :crybaby: so put the 4agze instead!! but now its all working it rocks :thumbsup:

The 106 quicksilver is a 1.6, so will be pricey.

The 106 rallye sounds like a decent comprimise..

Gen2 Paseo's are UK car's as Dazh says - group 7 insurance

Quiksilver is a 1.4 8v - group 5

Rallye is a 1.6 - group 11

Daihatsu Charade Gtti - to old & I think they have high insurance despite the engine size...

i looked into a 106 rallye - i like em :thumbsup: don't discount the XSi though. it's only 1 group higher, and you get the toys with it.

you could look at a 306 Dturbo. only group 5 insurance, and 120bhp is easily achievable.

also, if memory strikes me right, the 1.6 205 GTi is only group 11, but that's probably still too much.

then of course, there's my car, but you'd have to be brave! :P :lol:

Well like I said it might not be important to you, but if you look at how the 106/Saxo crashed it would put me off. The pics below were done by euro-ncap at 40mph - roughly the same as two cars hitting each other at 20mph, so not very quick at all, but look at the difference between the saxo and yaris - particularly where the occupants head ended up.

citroen_saxo_2000.jpg

toyota_yaris_2000.jpg

wow...

thanks for the huge response guys, really appreciated :yes: :group-cuddles:

the celica is a group 16 car... and yes it's the 2.0 GT that i want, in fact it's the same group as an impreza WRX ... so how that works I don't know :wacko::blink: :(

I will try adrian flux... I really want a celica, i've spent the past month researching the idea, I also like japanese cars, and pop up headlights, and 175bhp, and driving a car that no one else does in my area, and at my age...

the 106 1.3 rallye I would consider, but they're so rare.. the closest one to me according to auto trader is 45 miles and it's had oz wheels and sports exhaust on it so u know it's taken a beating already :(

Regards to keeping the yaris, that's out of the question as it's not my car :lol: plus it's too slow anyway, that 1.0 engine is enough to test even the most patient driver, the vvti helps but its not enough.

I will give the celica one last shot with adrian flux... leeky if your car was worth £6000 and they insured u for 3rd party .... surely a £2000 car will be more like £1200-1500 ? :unsure:

i'll only opt for another car if I absolutely definitely cannot insure the celica i want so much!

I might even go down the route of insuring in my dads name like Oli... silly in the long run, but by this time next year it won't hurt me so much to pay out thousands to insure a car anyway...

it's so hard to know what to do! :help:

The way i look at using my dad's insurance is....

The only time it will :censor: me over is if i no longer use it. I'm not going to fall out with my dad and my dads happy now because he's got 3yrs NCB on his own car.. While i use his *cough* 9 yrs!!! I don't know how i blagged that one. LOL

The one problem you have is if you mom/dad won't let you use their NCB then theres no point. You can only have your NCB on one car unless you have 2 sets of NCB....

At the time i used my dad's full NCB (5yrs - 9yrs) and his insurance was still £200 on his 1.4 corolla without the full NCB. So i got my Corolla GTi for £1400 @ 18yrs.. Happy story until i wrote it off (twice! :!Removed!: )

I say the Celica all the way :thumbsup:

Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!Celica!!!!! Celica!!!!!

Just reassuring you.. LOL :thumbsup:

45 miles ain't to far, you gotta be willing to travel if your looking for the right car! your best bet would be to test drive a few of them, you'll be suprised by the 106 rallye, obviously the celica gonna be a much superior ride!! have you tried elephant, there usually really good!

marc

cheers for the reassurance oli :lol::thumbsup:

I think the only way to go about things is to test drive each car i'm interested in...

so that'll be;

gen5 celica

gen6 celica

106 rallye

306 Dturbo ( :unsure: )

problem is i'm not gonna have much time to do all this, my job requires me to have a car... so i'll need to be mobile with the car I buy very shortly!

marcgt, ur quite right 45 miles isn't a long way... but to go 45 miles and back to test drive is 90 minutes, then to decide i want to buy it and go back again is 180 miles... and the next closest rallye after that is 169 miles away! :lol:

french cars have the pedals set for women with small feet.. i cannot drive any of em.

your best bet is to higher your excess that will drop the premium!