Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whistling/whining Noise...

hollyb

Hi All,

I bought my Aygo Sport about 6 weeks ago, and since then it has developed a whining, whistling noise. It's always present, but pitches up and down alongside the revs. It behaves like a Turbo noise, but doesn't sound so nice - less air whistle, more wasp in a bottle.... The performance is absolutely fine - no nasty lights or loss of power or anthing else that would suggest there is anything wrong.

It has crept up on me, and I didn't realise how loud/noticable it was until last week when I was a passenger, got out of the car, and my other half drove it away - it's louder outside than inside!

I am pretty sure it didn't make the noise when I bought it, so unless I've somehow already thrashed the engine (I do drive it like a sports model - isn't that the idea?) it's something that has developed over the past month or so. Or my ears were blocked when i bought it maybe?

I've googled as much as I can and some folk suggest it could be the air filter housing being loose - excuse me, but where would I find that, and how would I know it was loose? Or am I better not to meddle, and just to take it to the doctor...?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. I do really like the car in every other respect...

H

Clutch spring. Mine is doing it since they changed it when it was juddery. See if it happens as you press the clutch. Toyota are currently getting back to me with a date for fixing.

Thanks folks.

I don't think it changes with the clutch - more the accelerator, but I will test it at lunchtime and let you know... Unfortunatley it does it in all gears, but the noise is louder as the revs go up - so if I'm pootling in 5th with low revs it's less noticeable, but still there.

I opened the bonnet last night (took me ages to find the release catch - had to look in the manual in the end!) and the noise seems to come from the left side of the engine - somewhere deep in - around the belts.... Well - that's my perception of it anyway.

H

Ok not the clutch then. The clutch is on the right, obvious if you look while someone presses it.

Yeah - I checked and it's not affected by the clutch.

I think I'm going to just take it into the dealer.... Maybe it just needs a tune up? Fingers crossed....

Thanks for all your ideas though.

:0)

H

There is another thread from last week about this, mine does it but not as bad as yours and mine is only afew months old, so its getting mentioned @ the 1st service.

It sounds a bit like my problem, same area of the engine too. It was traced to a noisy air conditioning unit, at the bottom front left. Get your dealer to check it all out, and start a new one to see if the niose is the same.

Hope this helps,

Ian

• 2 years later...

Hey! Has anyoneone come up with an answer to this. The REASON wjy I m asking is....guess what?

I started up my car yesterday, and heard a whininh noise. No, its not any wheel bearing, but my car doesnt growl anymore, but has another whining noice recently been introduced.

I ve stopped my car, and listened to it with the bonnet up, and the noise is definitely there, and the noise becomes louder when the accelerator is pressed down, and when relased the noise goes down too!

Its exactly what I read from the forst post but like every other forum. Somoen puts up an question, and they never seem to come back on to answer it.

Anyone go any ideas what the noise is?

P.s The noise is constant. It doesnt affect the performance of the car, but its noticeable when the accelerator is pressed when moving or stationary.

Mine is making a similar sound but only on the move. I thought it might be coming from the front discs. New discs and pads didn't clear it.

I'm thinking now it could be the water pump bearing,

Just a suggestion......

Is the noise like a continuous floorboard type squeek?

The "fan" belt, or serpentine drive belt which runs the

alternator / air-con if you have it, sometimes becomes polished,

as do the pulleys it runs on.

You could test to see if it is belt squeal by CAREFULLY

sprinkling a LITTLE water onto the belt while the engine is running.

Start the engine. As its ticking over, pour a few drops on the running belt.

(Or mist some water on with a plant sprayer or similar).

If it IS the belt / pulleys that are polished, there will be a noticable difference.

Waterpump is more of a grinding / scraping sound if it is failing.

As the weather becomes wetter / more humid after summer, the problem usually cures itself

as the pulleys surface rust overnight.

Just a suggestion and BE CAREFUL doing it.

Aygo engine > finger strength !

Ian.

Also......As somebody suggested......Check your water level for waterpump leakage.

Failing waterpump is more of a grinding / scraping noise.

Hey Ian!

Thank you VER much for your input, and you describe the noise like a continous floor board squeak. Its like a wasp buzzing about when the car is at stand still, and when you press the accelerator the "wasp" noise gets louder,a nd faster, and slower when you back off from the accelerator.

I think you might be right about the pulleys. I actually tried to look for a leak at the water pump as its a known issue with the Aygo but no pink colour marks like in previous posts or water marks in the engine bay.

Something very similar happened to my late uncles 1983 Mercedes and it was his alternator that was making the noise. He used WD40 to stop the screeching noise.

Youre RIGHT about the noise. Its disappeared but I noticed the noise does come back after a day or two. Its usually after a heavy period of rain. Will post again after I squirt some WD40 on the pulleys.

Thanks for your help fella!

Ok same problem.

Took to good mechanic.

They used a stethoscope to identify the problem as one of the bearings in the alternator most likely.

Got new on order and it'll be installed mid next week. Let you know how i get on.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok it wasn't the alternator.

Replaced with a new one.

No joy

No clues any more really, just fed up.

Aw naw! No luck. Hope you get things sorted. My car only had the squeaky noise for a couple of days. As Ian mentioned its sometimes the pulleys and I believe this was the case with my car, and my uncles car. After a few squirts of WD40 to the moving parts of the engine there was no more noise.