Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3rd Or 4th Gear?

snorkers

Following the statement by IAM about drivers exceeding the 30mph limit because they're in the "wrong gear" i.e. 4th, I though it would be interesting to find out how people drive their Yaris.

So are you are 3rd or 4th gear person at 30mph?

I'll admit to being mostly 4th gear but I try to stick to somewhere between 29 and 31mph.

Mine is a 1.3 CDX :hokus-pokus:

i find mine potters along nicely in 5th at 30mph to be honest!

but soemtimes 4th cos theres always that bit of 'go' there if ya need it

:thumbsup:

I'm a poor student, so petrol is like gold...! 5th gear whenever possible I'm afraid! :blink:

Pav

i find mine potters along nicely in 5th at 30mph to be honest!

but soemtimes 4th cos theres always that bit of 'go' there if ya need it

:thumbsup:

The corolla does too, its the 1.4 and its fine, course if you need to accelerate you can always drop it down so as not to labour the engine, but a bit of 1st...2nd...5th action keeps the economy up when your trudling along

4th, just like my driving instructor told me.

Although sometimes 3rd...

or 5th...

!

A

1st 30MPH (Max 35MPH)

2nd 60-70MPH

3rd Skip

4th Skip

5th (from 2nd Gear)

dont drive at 30 MPH

They know nothing....the claim was that using a lower gear...ie 3rd rather than fourth and fifth...prevented drivers from creeping over the speed limit and was also more economical...I don't think so.

Driving in third at 30 required your right foot to always be onthe accelerator....as there's substantial engine braking in third for most vehicles at 30. So it's noiser...more polluting...and also much easier...to go over 30...as your in a low gear...a touch of power...and your away... if your in fourth or fifth (if your motor's happy) trundles along quite nicely with hardly any need for the right foot. when it's time to accelrate away...either do it gently...or change down a gear.

Many many many 30mph zones cover some fair distances...so are they saying we should all drive in third for like five miles? yeah....very eco friendly that.

Then they say we should all get small cars....so why put speed bumps ///road rumbling strips every where...which the smaller car suffers from..but the trucks...mercs...luxury 5-series say...don't even notice.... sure... very small car friendly...not!

I've got to cross 6 road rumbling strips when approaching a roundabout on my way to/...and from work...and i'm not joking...but my dash rattles and shakes, becasue of it.

but...why the smeg..put them on the road leading to a roundabout..... and i'm taling about a major road A59 ... coming to the A1 roundabout...ermm hello....straigh road for chuffing miles...hugh pigging roundabout...signs everywhere...its not as if you can't see it...and I've never ever known any accidents happen...before these strips were put in place...but there have been several after it...guess what...yes people braking hard before the rumbling strips!! I dunno!!

Sorry/...had a naff day!!

Vipes

Ah Sorry im a t sport driver so....

2nd up to 50mph....lol.....

30mph far to slow...hehe.....

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

you should be able to go higher, shift from 1st when speed is 30mph

has anyone such an incredibly beautiful personted under the front bumper on drives, kerbs and speed bumps, may i should get the car lowered

ive hit the bumper, exhaust and skirts on all sorts!

even toyota cant get the car on the ramps!

:D