Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Filling Petrol Tank On 1999 Rav4

voo

It's the first time I've had to put petrol in. Originally the petrol gauge showed about quarter full. I got to the £10 mark and the gun thing started clicking and wouldn't let me add further petrol (I wanted to put £20 in). I managed to get it to £12 and then I gave up. What am I doing wrong please?

You might not be doing anything wrong - maybe it is full and the gauge is reading wrong. Sometimes those back pressure valves can be too sensitive and once triggered don't reset themselves until you start filling again. Next time very carefully ease the nozzle back until you can just see the end and then start gently filling again. If it comes back up the filler pipe you know it is full. If it keeps going for more than a few seconds try angling the nozzle in different directions to see if it flows more freely as there is sometimes a bend close to the top which will cause the fuel to back up.

Cheers

Keep an eye on the trip meter as well - prob get around 25-30mpg - to get an idea of how the gauge 'pattern' goes.

Many pumps do that clicking way before the tank is full and it is VERY annoying!

The tank will hold about 50 litres - I normally put 40 litres in at a time, but then I use the trip meter and I know what mpg I get.

The RAV4 4.1 filler hose is a good straight run until it gets to the bottom where it takes a 90 degree turn into the tank. I've never had any bother with getting fuel in! The gauge is mounted on the top of the tank and accessible from an access panel in the rear boot area. I wouldn't bother touching it tho as you need to make sure it seals up again properly. The gauge is a fairly primitive bit of kit and yours is now 9 years old. It would have been designed 20+ years ago!

Even when the low fuel warning light comes on, I still have between 5 and 10 litres of fuel in. it varies as well!

With the turbo engine and the way i drive, I get 210 miles to a tank minimum....unless I'm racing when it then drops to 170 miles. You'll get more like the figures mentioned above with the 3SFE engine.

Thanks bothwell buyer I may have pushed the nozzle in too far, I'll see what happens the next time I put petrol in.

It's the first time I've had to put petrol in. Originally the petrol gauge showed about quarter full. I got to the £10 mark and the gun thing started clicking and wouldn't let me add further petrol (I wanted to put £20 in). I managed to get it to £12 and then I gave up. What am I doing wrong please?

lol - women eh !! best laugh i have had in ages.

Guest Snowy3

*hits GT4 BOOSTER over the head with her hand bag for that remark!!!!!*

anyway how do you know voo is a woman????

Message to GT4 BOOSTER, I'm glad I've given you a laugh. Has your petrol gun nozzle ever clicked?

Maybe he's still trying to insert it properly and theres a hint of frustration??? It happens with men and boys so I'm told?? :lol:

Message to GT4 BOOSTER, I'm glad I've given you a laugh. Has your petrol gun nozzle ever clicked?

i use derv. :P i know when to withdraw my nozzle if my fluids aint filling the tank properly.

*hits GT4 BOOSTER over the head with her hand bag for that remark!!!!!*

anyway how do you know voo is a woman????

lol SHE told me.

i use derv. :P i know when to withdraw my nozzle if my fluids aint filling the tank properly.

Spent the last 5 hoors lookin fur a shop selling derv aroon here. The nearest stuff ah cuid find wis Daz. Is that the4 same as you buy??? :P

Spent the last 5 hoors lookin fur a shop selling derv aroon here. The nearest stuff ah cuid find wis Daz. Is that the4 same as you buy??? :P

:rolleyes:

The first time i went to the petrol station in my Rav 4 it done the same thing kept clicking,

(blonde moment) :unsure: I thought the pump had ran out of petrol so moved to another pump....

But it was just because i had pushed it in to far lol

and i have to say i have never heard it since.

Regards Helenbo1 :)

for the females among you , the pump head is designed to stop flow when the tank is full up , if you push the head in to far it comes into contact with the petrol tank filler wall , back pressure due to fuel hitting the filler wall cuts off the fuel from the pump head . most pump heads have slots on the underside so you can guage how far you have stuck it in ( ooh matron !! ) , also if you dont press the delivery button too hard ,you should be able to fill up with ease. hope this helps if youre blonde ,brunette or ginger , any colours i missed is due to hair dyes, lol .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links