Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Noise Under The Bonnet

Aerodeck

Hi All

I hope someone can advise what may be wrong with my Avensis - there's a whistling noise from the fan belt area, it's more noticeable on idle. You can't hear it with the windows shut and going along but noticeable when u open a window. It's not a slipping belt, not loud enough.

I suspect a bearing ... can I oil all the spindles ? Or would this be fatal to an alternator...?

Or how do I find out which one is casuing it ?

Any tips appreciated :)

Hi All

I hope someone can advise what may be wrong with my Avensis - there's a whistling noise from the fan belt area, it's more noticeable on idle. You can't hear it with the windows shut and going along but noticeable when u open a window. It's not a slipping belt, not loud enough.

I suspect a bearing ... can I oil all the spindles ? Or would this be fatal to an alternator...?

Or how do I find out which one is casuing it ?

Any tips appreciated :)

hello

I feel you've got the same problem with mine. i'm goint to change both driving belt and tension roll.

i can hear the same minor noise at cold starting when window (front passenger's) is slightly opened.

the life time of the above is around 95k km -- so now my clock shows 104k.

may be this will help you

cheers/Igor

Spray a bit of PTFE on the belt and see if it shuts it up, if it does then its a dry belt which you can either replace or i've heard of some stuff which is similar to PTFE spray called 'belt bandage' that you spray on.

Spray a bit of PTFE on the belt and see if it shuts it up, if it does then its a dry belt which you can either replace or i've heard of some stuff which is similar to PTFE spray called 'belt bandage' that you spray on.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Won't PTFE spray make the belt slip ? What am I missing here ?

You'd better use water instead. It dries off in a moment. I guess ptfe doesnt.

The water is just to make sure it's is the belt slipping, and if it is, the water

makes it silent for a while.

You'd better use water instead. It dries off in a moment. I guess ptfe doesnt.

The water is just to make sure it's is the belt slipping, and if it is, the water

makes it silent for a while.

A quick spray of wd40 onto one of the pulleys will do the trick. Shuts up instantly if its a dried out belt, just dont go mad with the spray.

WD40 is OK but it'll dry out again pretty quickly, PTFE spray when your first put it in might make your A/C light flash for a few minutes but is fine if you let it 'soak' for a couple of hours and then lasts for weeks.

WD40 is OK but it'll dry out again pretty quickly, PTFE spray when your first put it in might make your A/C light flash for a few minutes but is fine if you let it 'soak' for a couple of hours and then lasts for weeks.

Totally agree with you there. WD40 is just to show the problem is a dried out belt, would recommend a new belt if it is the case. The rubber in the belt gets hard and dry with age and doesn't like bending round the pulleys, hence the swishy/squawky noise, the wd40 just lets it slide more smoothly round the pulleys. For the price of a belt, I would just bung a new one on if it is the belt making the noise.

• 3 weeks later...