Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard Times Ahead For Toyota

chatman

Toyota has reacted to the global economic slowdown by confirming that, as we reported last week, it is trimming its sales targets for the next 18 months. The company is also shifting greater emphasis onto low-emissions vehicles.

Cutbacks will effect Toyota’s Burnaston plant near Derby, which will lose one of its two shifts on the Auris line in response to slowing sales. According to Executive Vice President Takeshi Uchivamada, Toyota has no plans to make redundancies among permanent staff at the factory, which also builds the Avensis and assembles engines for other European plants.

On the product front, Toyota will launch 18 new low-emission vehicles over the next 16 months, including the new iQ city car and new, third-generation Prius hybrid, which will definitely be launched at January’s Detroit motor show. Toyota will also launch a new fuel-sipping 1.3-litre petrol engine and it promises to continue reducing C02 emissions “across its full product line-up”.

Executive vice-president Masatami Takimoto said Toyota would also produce a small electric vehicle for the early 2010s, by which point the firm plans to be building and selling one million hybrids per year.

It is particularly determined to use fewer parts for the next cycle of cars, and the iQ, which systematically miniaturises and lightens all major components, is said to be a key example of Toyota’s aggressive new way of thinking.

Does Toyota advertise/promote the cars that they intend to launch in the forthcoming 18 months or so? If so, where?

So what that means is Toyota has reacted to the global slowdown by aiming to produce boring,uninspiring,

slow Battery operated cars :yawn:

When every other jap car company are producing good looking sports cars B)

i had a phone call last week from the dealership i got my Yaris Tsport from,

they were having an open day & the salesman wanted to know if i would be going along?

i told him that i had recently sold my Yaris & moved over to another manufacturer,

i told him that Toyota have got nothing sporty to offer me, the sales guy agreed with me :lol:

he said well if Toyota ever make something exciting again he would give me a call ;)

Toyota need to sort themselves out, we do not all want to save the planet :rolleyes:

Does Toyota advertise/promote the cars that they intend to launch in the forthcoming 18 months or so? If so, where?

Honda don't do this either, everything is soo secret, it took months of work to convince the Japs that the 08 Accord needed to sold with a teaser type advertising campaign, shame it has made no difference as nobody has bought one :lol:

Toyota has reacted to the global economic slowdown by confirming that, as we reported last week, it is trimming its sales targets for the next 18 months. The company is also shifting greater emphasis onto low-emissions vehicles.

almost all companies are finding it hard at the moment

Cutbacks will effect Toyota’s Burnaston plant near Derby, which will lose one of its two shifts on the Auris line in response to slowing sales. According to Executive Vice President Takeshi Uchivamada, Toyota has no plans to make redundancies among permanent staff at the factory, which also builds the Avensis and assembles engines for other European plants.

partly true, the auris is selling as many units as the corolla did, TME had pridicted larger sales for the auris and instructed the plant to build more, the extra sales never came and now there is a stockpile. that, and only that, is the reason that the auris production shop is going onto a single shift until march, then back to 2 shift operation, no toyota redundances are being made at all, period

Some more news on global car manufactuars....

Volkswagen has overtaken Ford on global vehicle sales, relegating the American company to fourth spot in the global automakers’ sales chart.

According to the latest sales figures, VW Group delivered 3.31 million vehicles in the first half of the year, with Ford delivering 3.22 million.

“This shows we are on the right track with our ever-stronger international presence and, above all, our product program,” said Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the VW Group management board, “we will systematically push ahead with our growth course even in the present difficult market environment.”

The results will make gloomy reading for Ford executives, and give further proof of the tough trading conditions the company is facing in the USA, it’s biggest market. Ford was the world’s second-largest carmaker as recently as 2004, before being overtaken by Toyota.

And despite announcing a cut in production today, Toyota is still on course to become the world’s largest car manufacturer at the end of this year, having outsold General Motors by 280,000 units globally during the first six months of 2008.

The last two sentances about sum things up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I couldn't give a ***** less about Toyota anymore, they don't produce the gorgeous cars that they once did back in the 90s.

I couldn't give a ***** less about Toyota anymore, they don't produce the gorgeous cars that they once did back in the 90s.

Why come on here then if you don't like the marque anymore :unsure:

The Carina E Camry and Corolla, Damn I miss the nineties! spoon

Why come on here then if you don't like the marque anymore :unsure:

Well a lot more peolple do and now Toyota is the largest car company in the world....small shifts or not.. they still sell a lot of cars.... :D :D

So what that means is Toyota has reacted to the global slowdown by aiming to produce boring,uninspiring,

slow battery operated cars :yawn:

When every other jap car company are producing good looking sports cars B)

i had a phone call last week from the dealership i got my Yaris Tsport from,

they were having an open day & the salesman wanted to know if i would be going along?

i told him that i had recently sold my Yaris & moved over to another manufacturer,

i told him that Toyota have got nothing sporty to offer me, the sales guy agreed with me :lol:

he said well if Toyota ever make something exciting again he would give me a call ;)

Toyota need to sort themselves out, we do not all want to save the planet :rolleyes:

Hear hear :)

On the lookout for a new ride and was recently in the local Toyota dealership and left feeling... well... bored to death!

'Performance' now to Toyota is a slightly ropey diesel, in a blobby offcast of what used to be the Corolla :huh:

Unless they look back 10 years and say, 'what have we done' i doubt ill be spending my pennies on new Toyotas :(

be patient.... I think a new Supra and Celica are due in 2009 :P Lets hope :D

Lets hope :)

But to be frank, if they stopped being so retarded and just imported this....

6E3001BE-C927-445B-ABC8-331C653FC732.jpg

I would drop my deposit down on one tomorrow :)

Lets hope :)

But to be frank, if they stopped being so retarded and just imported this....

6E3001BE-C927-445B-ABC8-331C653FC732.jpg

I would drop my deposit down on one tomorrow :)

Now thats a proper Toyota :yes:

Well... it would solve every problem...

They have one of everything else to keep the tree huggers happy.... a 280bhp super saloon/estate is just what they need to keep the petrol heads coming back.

Plus its the last Toyota to be using an incarnation of the 3SGTE (unless something else is lucky enough in future)

The would get my business :)

yep id put my name down for one as well.

its sad when the fastest car a manufacturer sells in Europe is a diesel hatchback!

if no body is buying performance cars why have mitsi brought out a new evo and nissan the GTR

Toyota has stopped production of the Tundra, and Tacoma in the US untill late October, and laid off 1,000 workers

Toyota has stopped production of the Tundra, and Tacoma in the US untill late October, and laid off 1,000 workers

Dang :(

Was over in the US in Feb/March and saw a few Tundras with the massive 5.7 V8 in them :D Sounds VERY tasty with a bit of stainless expelling the exhaust gases :D Monsters aswell :D

Sports cars are for small niche market compared to family cars. I would love a beefy sports car, but economics, family and long distance journey comfort prevent me from owning one. If I wanted a track car I would get one of these, they are much quicker than any Blade or Scooby.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang :(

Was over in the US in Feb/March and saw a few Tundras with the massive 5.7 V8 in them :D Sounds VERY tasty with a bit of stainless expelling the exhaust gases :D Monsters aswell :D

im looking into importing a Tacoma, and if i can push to it a Tundra in the new year

Sports cars are for small niche market compared to family cars. I would love a beefy sports car, but economics, family and long distance journey comfort prevent me from owning one. If I wanted a track car I would get one of these, they are much quicker than any Blade or Scooby.

Exactly! I've got what I've got because I have two kids to carry about and look after plus all the associated s*** I need to ferry about with them too. It's the safest in it's class so if one of the many idiots on the road hit me, hopefully that will mean something. Plus I can run it on biofuel should the need arise.

I would love to be able to justify a little track car but for the time being, I can't. Toyota are simply applying market dynamics to their fleet. Boring? Yes. But when they have survived this period of instability and absorbed a couple of less forward thinking marques they'll be in a stronger position. Plus, when there are electric cars on the drawing boards with 4s 0-60s, electric doesn't look as shabby as it used to. Long term, petrol and diesel will run out before the oil does and the public will be denied use of it long before it dries up as countries need it to run the infrastructure and pilot planes and tanks around foreign countries. I'm not getting at the petrol heads, I love a good thrash (steady now) as much as the next puppy, I just deal with people who have fingers in the oily pie - so to speak - and they are getting very jittery about their long term future.

And no, I'm not a tree hugger or a freaky ar*ed survivalist.

"May you live in interesting times." never rang so true.