Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Age/mileage

littlepete

Hi folks

Just after a bit of advice from you guys as to my thoughts at the moment.

I have a 2003 (03) Corolla T3 1.6, bought from new and always been serviced by main dealer Oakmere Toyota in Northwich. Just recently had its 80K service with no problems but I've been thinking if its time to get rid due to the high mileage.

Had a test drive of an Aygo this week, which I didn't like, plus the dealer said they'd only give me about £2500 for mine in trade in.

My car does look a little shabby, needs a spot of paintwork doing to the front bumper and a repair to a cig burn on the drivers seat and to be honest I wasn't really prepared for the valuation as I could have got it looking better beforehand.

Now I have an engine management warning light come on, its been on for a few weeks with no noticeable loss in performance or fuel economy.

So I guess my questions are:-

What typical mileage can these cars achieve before things start going wrong

Should I get rid or spend a little on the repairs - is it worth it?

I do love this car and its never caused me any trouble in the five years I've had it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi folks

Just after a bit of advice from you guys as to my thoughts at the moment.

I have a 2003 (03) Corolla T3 1.6, bought from new and always been serviced by main dealer Oakmere Toyota in Northwich. Just recently had its 80K service with no problems but I've been thinking if its time to get rid due to the high mileage.

Had a test drive of an Aygo this week, which I didn't like, plus the dealer said they'd only give me about £2500 for mine in trade in.

My car does look a little shabby, needs a spot of paintwork doing to the front bumper and a repair to a cig burn on the drivers seat and to be honest I wasn't really prepared for the valuation as I could have got it looking better beforehand.

Now I have an engine management warning light come on, its been on for a few weeks with no noticeable loss in performance or fuel economy.

So I guess my questions are:-

Should I get rid or spend a little on the repairs - is it worth it?

I do love this car and its never caused me any trouble in the five years I've had it.

Thanks in advance.

If its got a Full Service History and you have had it from new, then spend some money on it. IMO 80k really isnt a lot of mileage for a well maintained car, as you know the cars history then you'll be giving it away for £2,500.

Run her into the ground and pay the bills as they come until it becomes uneconomical :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If its got a Full Service History and you have had it from new, then spend some money on it. IMO 80k really isnt a lot of mileage for a well maintained car, as you know the cars history then you'll be giving it away for £2,500.

Run her into the ground and pay the bills as they come until it becomes uneconomical :thumbsup:

This is what I plan to do with my 55 plate E12. It is fully serviced and has a low mileage (23k) so plan to keep it for a long period. It's just coming up to its first MOT which will be the first I've had done on a car for a very long time. I'm getting to the point now where I no longer want to keep burning money every 2 to 3 years just to get a new one. It helps that I really like my car too.

The only issue for me now is whether to fork out £400 for the extended warranty!

This is what I plan to do with my 55 plate E12. It is fully serviced and has a low mileage (23k) so plan to keep it for a long period. It's just coming up to its first MOT which will be the first I've had done on a car for a very long time. I'm getting to the point now where I no longer want to keep burning money every 2 to 3 years just to get a new one. It helps that I really like my car too.

The only issue for me now is whether to fork out £400 for the extended warranty!

Don't spend £400 on extended warranty. Ask yourself what would have to go wrong to justify £400. Not much. Save the money and think only of an issue if something does (which it won't if you look after your car) Extended warranties in any form are a complete waste of money. Insurance companies that offer these know they are a no brainer to make money for themselves and the chances are they will find a reason not to pay out if you have to make a claim. Think no more of it and hold onto the £400.

• Like 1

Don't spend £400 on extended warranty. Ask yourself what would have to go wrong to justify £400. Not much. Save the money and think only of an issue if something does (which it won't if you look after your car) Extended warranties in any form are a complete waste of money. Insurance companies that offer these know they are a no brainer to make money for themselves and the chances are they will find a reason not to pay out if you have to make a claim. Think no more of it and hold onto the £400.

Totally Agree, stick the £400 in the bank, the chance of a major mechanical failure that the warranty will cover are small. I would not be saying this if we were on a FIAT,Citroen,Peugeot,Renault etc Forum :lol::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Very helpful comments as I am in the same position early next year.

My E12 auto will three years old and be under 20,000 miles. I like the car, nothing has gone wrong, no rattle or squeaks. A really smooth drive with plenty of performance. Even the wife loves it!

But then again, I could have a shiny new car with a three warranty. And it would be a bit faster and have more toys. Not only that my local Mr T is offering 0% finance, and free servicing on a new Auris having assured me that he has a queue of buyers for my car. Everybody knows that cars start to cost big money after three years?

I now agree totally with the other members comments. The cost to change for a new Auris will be at least £7000 for the same spec or better. Its unlikely that I will spend a small percentage of that keeping my present car in a pristine condition for years to come. As for an extended warranty, I was going to purchase one but now have changed my mind.

Thanks.

Thanks for your advice. I think you've pretty much summed up what I want to do.

Although a new car would be nice I'm loathed to start forking out payments on a loan for a new one just yet, especially if there is plenty of life in mine yet!

Very helpful comments as I am in the same position early next year.

My E12 auto will three years old and be under 20,000 miles. I like the car, nothing has gone wrong, no rattle or squeaks. A really smooth drive with plenty of performance. Even the wife loves it!

But then again, I could have a shiny new car with a three warranty. And it would be a bit faster and have more toys. Not only that my local Mr T is offering 0% finance, and free servicing on a new Auris having assured me that he has a queue of buyers for my car. Everybody knows that cars start to cost big money after three years?

I now agree totally with the other members comments. The cost to change for a new Auris will be at least £7000 for the same spec or better. Its unlikely that I will spend a small percentage of that keeping my present car in a pristine condition for years to come. As for an extended warranty, I was going to purchase one but now have changed my mind.

Thanks.

Nice to hear. I really like my E12 auto. Like you I find it very smooth to drive and, as I've said elsewhere, think the interior plastics are way superior to the Auris. I'm certainly hanging on to mine. Kinda attached to him anyway :rolleyes:

As for the extended warranty I will probably give it a miss.

If you look after a car they will nearly last forever

My old mondeo 170000+ and going strong

Dads golf mk 3, 155000+

My corolla 90000+

All running great, it doesn't cost a fortune every year to keep them going, just normal servicing. And you the great thing about the top two, deprecation free motoring. If you keep your corolla your not really going to loss much more, if you do have to spend a few quid it will still be less than what you loss on a new car

I would not be saying this if we were on a FIAT,Citroen,Peugeot,Renault etc Forum laugh.gif thumbsup.gif
Why does one of the most reliable manufacturers in the World only offer a 3 year warranty on new cars?

Kia offer 7 years or 100,000 miles on the ceed

Hyundai 5 years on most of the range

Fiat 5 years unlimited mileage on the Punto

I would not be saying this if we were on a FIAT,Citroen,Peugeot,Renault etc Forum laugh.gif thumbsup.gif
Why does one of the most reliable manufacturers in the World only offer a 3 year warranty on new cars?

Kia offer 7 years or 100,000 miles on the ceed

Hyundai 5 years on most of the range

Fiat 5 years unlimited mileage on the Punto

Thats a good question, i would be interested to read the small print on these warranties, i doubt they cover the bits you will need (Clutch/Flywheel/Brakes/Exhaust etc). Most KIA/Hyundai's probably don't cause many issues like a Petrol Toyota doesn't. As for the FIAT, Erm unique selling point? I bet their warranty dept at FIAT UK is a busy old place :lol:

80K is nothing on a Corolla. Tomorrow, i am trading in my car which has covered 166K over 6 years. Apart from the usual maintenance, the car has only had a clutch and radiator replaced.

You are always going to lose out if you part exchange your car. You can run it to the ground and not lose any money compared to buying a new or newly near car instead. It all depends on your finance.

Personally, i would just keep it as i am not really worried with image.

• 7 years later...

I was just searching for some other advice on Corolla's and came across my thread I started back in 2008. 

Well I'm pleased to report that my Corolla is still going strong some 7 and a bit years later - and has now nearly clocked 175K :-)

• Thanks 1

Hi,

See you are not a frequent poster then ! :biggrin:.

That mileage puts most of us to shame, though would be interesting to know what you have had to renew in the last 8 years /100k miles from when you were originally looking to sell in case it got too costly to maintain.

You say you were looking for advice in the forum, does that mean you have a little problem now ...?

Hi

No problems, I was just looking for a little help on brake pads and I found what I needed. I'm more of a browser here than a poster. 

Apart from tyres, brakes etc the only thing I had to replace was the Battery. That was last year and it was the original that came with the car - so I couldn't really complain as it was 12 years old :-)

I do worry now that maybe there might not be so much life left - but I'd quite likely just get another cheap Toyota for about £1000, with lower mileage, as I know they can run for a long time!

• 3 years later...
On 2/7/2016 at 5:07 PM, littlepete said:

I was just searching for some other advice on Corolla's and came across my thread I started back in 2008. 

Well I'm pleased to report that my Corolla is still going strong some 7 and a bit years later - and has now nearly clocked 175K 🙂

So, another 3 years down the line, still going strong? 

Mine is on 106k, having bought it just over a year ago at 95k. Changed and fixed a few bits, as you'd expect with a used car, but generally sweet as a nut!

Your car would be brand new to me I have an avensis with over 200000 miles on and I love it if I was you I would look after it and save cash unless I just fancied a new car but they do nothing for me just my opinion 

On 8/30/2008 at 5:35 PM, littlepete said:

Well, that depends. First of all, 80k is not much at all. But wear all depends on how you service it, how you use it (long vs short commutes) and if you keep it in a garage or always out in the open.

I sold my 2002 Corolla with more than 215k on it. That was a few years ago and I've just heard that the guy who bought it has now scrapped it with about 250k on the clock. The main reason was corrosion on the brake pipes. The car otherwise still looked as new externally. Rusted brake lines is not a distance thing, mainly age and always being parked outside. That car never had a new exhaust, wheel bearings or other things you'd normally expect to be replaced at higher mileages. Maybe you want to check the brake lines and ask someone to get some underbody coating on them. I've seen several other E120s that failed MOTs due to rust on the brake pipes. Could be a weak spot. 
Suspension parts like shock absorbers have a finite life. I replaced one shock absorber at 175k. But they can certainly fail a lot earlier than that. 

In short, you will not know what fails first since it varies. To justify the cost of repairs, you can look at how much will it cost you to get a new(er) car that does what your car does as well as it does it.

• 1 month later...

My wife's 2004 Corolla has 287000km (180000 miles) on it and still going strong except for a few niggles.