Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gt4 Clutch Change

Racingmcfly

Has anyone changed a clutch on a generation st205? Is this an engine out job or is it possible in situ? And any ideas of time taken? Done a clutch on an 95 Mr2 non-turbo is it similar to this or is 4wd an added prob? Any help much appreciated

Im pretty sure the best way to change the st205 clutch is put it up on a hydro lift and drop it out the bottom.

Before you change it have you tried adjusting it?

I thought i needed a new clutch in my st202 then i found out it wore down and just needed tightening up, most garages will charge you for a new clutch when you dont even need one.

not ajustable on 205 hydraulic, can only adjust pedal height at the pedal, if she slips she gone :crybaby:

Are you sure?

I know supra's have hydro clutches thats why they are so heavy but my st205 is no heavier than my st202!! :wacko:

engine out job i'm affraid. toyota dealers quote 11hours but they can be done quicker. if you havent got the facilities i.e a 4post lift then let some one else do it it will be worth it

It will take a decent place approx 8 hours. It can be done in situ. Try someone like Mr Clutch - they are experts with this type of thing and a damn sight better bet than your Toyota dealer. Should cost you around 250 quid from them.

If you are anywhere near Nottingham then give IAn Smith a ring at Toyauto - 0115 9787844. Ian is one of the most experienced in the country with the 3S-GTE and tech advisor to the GT4OC.

mr clutch! them muppets who give you an all in price and a clutch made out of mdf,car like the celica needs quality part,s and people who no wot they doin :lol:

It will take a decent place approx 8 hours. It can be done in situ.

Believe me its definatley an engine out job ive done a couple, hard enough getting the box on & off the engine with the lump out (they can be a pig to line up!) never mind with it still in the car!

An experienced Toyota mechanic would do it in 8 hours though.

:thumbsup:

mr clutch! them muppets who give you an all in price and a clutch made out of mdf,car like the celica needs quality part,s and people who no wot they doin :lol:

If you look at the price that was suggested for the Mr Clutch Job - £250 that is without a clutch - you supply your own.

I had a clutch changed in my old ST185, the Clutch was a fensport stage one which was fitted at Mr Clutch in Tunbridge Wells, I was very happy with the service and the job that they did.

Mr Clutch's are franchises so the level of service is going to vary greatly from store to store - the branch in Tunbridge Wells was specifically recommended to me by another GT-Four owner.

It is true that Mr Clutch supply reconditioned clutches as standard - hence the reason to supply your own.

GT-Four needs quality parts - I agree.

GT-Four needs people who know what there doing - I also agree, only problem is that there are very few garages/people around that know the GT-Four/3S-GTE well, so choice is limited. If you know of a place that knows the GT-Four well and can do a clutch change at a reasonable price then I'm sure there are lots of people that would find that info useful. :)

Mr Clutch change clutches for a living. They may seem like they don't know much about performance cars, but then that doesn't matter - you want your clutch changing, not a motec mapping. I'd rather have them doing it than my local Toyota garage who spend their days doing MOT on corollas.

I know of many GT4 owners very satisfied with Mr Clutch.

oops - edit: yes don't let them supply the clutch as Mr Clutch units are refaced used friction plates. The price I quoted was just for labour...

hi to all

no you dont need to take the engine out all you need is a 2 post ramp anyone who say you need the engine out is doing it the hard way if you remove the enigine you have coolant to bleed wiring loom to connect fuel system

however you must have about 4 people to help lift out gearbox and reinstall we change these clutchs in 7 hours

rgds

j

• 7 years later...

hi to all

no you dont need to take the engine out all you need is a 2 post ramp anyone who say you need the engine out is doing it the hard way if you remove the enigine you have coolant to bleed wiring loom to connect fuel system

however you must have about 4 people to help lift out gearbox and reinstall we change these clutchs in 7 hours

rgds

j

hi

i realise you answered this question a long long time ago, but could you possibly tell me how to go about doing the clutch change with the engine in?? also do you know what the best clutch is for the gt4 st205??

cheers

trust me it really is easier to take the engine out. there are some bolts that are near impossible to remove with the engine in and the gearbox/transfer box weigh nigh on 90-100KG. tis a shame your so far away as i could do it for you for a reasonable price.

clutch depends on the power/use of your four. if you are running upto 1.1bar on a stock turbo/ internals then a std toyota clutch is fine. if you want something a little stronger then the exeedy organic is very good