Do Not Sell My Personal Information

J.a.e. - Reports

Devil-ish

Well I feel the problem was no elvis, no pink hats, no bin liner wearing and no really drunken sillyness that unites everyone

Looks like dispite what I have said about the location etc im going to have to get a toyota and show you how to party!!!

(sorry just trying to lighten the mood - Bring on the trumpets)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tegan

• Monster-Mat

• GIDDLEPIN

• SJandMR2

:unsure: Well i think you all had a good time :lol::lol: & you have added detailed write ups on here,

cant say i fancy the beach much :lol:

As for the lack of interest, I decided this year not to go to JAE, the first time i have decided not to in 8 years.

My reasons were the talk of the causeway being one,

but the main reason was the lack of Hotels with walking distance of the venue.

I dont camp, i dont own a tent & i never intend to buy one :P

The same as alot of other JAE goers, you only had to try book a room within a few miles

of any past JAEs, they were all fully booked.

As for the TOC vs LOC, i cant comment on JAE this year as i wasnt there.

However LOC have always made me feel welcome in the past & i have always found them friendly,

once the guys even let me park on their LOC stand at Rockingham as TOC didnt go,

i was parked in middle in the yaris with several lexus body guards around it :lol:

spent the day with the guys :thumbsup:

Agree with the idea of name tags, also possibly what car you drive,.

As a newcomer I was made welcome by everyone I spoke to, no problems with any one being offhand, although I believe someone moaned at the missus about "Agro the Aygo", but as I was not there at the time I

cannot comment.

Having been involved with motorsports as a MSA official you tend to take the rough with the smooth and I have found common manners and maybe a bit of diplomacy helps.

I will be back at JAE next year,as we as a family enjoyed the venue. which ever car I drive .

Well I feel the problem was no elvis, no pink hats, no bin liner wearing and no really drunken sillyness that unites everyone

Looks like dispite what I have said about the location etc im going to have to get a toyota and show you how to party!!!

You might find it is because me and Gaz wern't there also!! :P

I tried to head over to the gazebo on saterday night to say hello and just go glared at so carried on walking :(

I didn't recognise anyone in there!

i didnt use the gazeebo either, i stayed in my car most of the evenings

not all us with a lexus are bad guys you know

Oh dear, ive only just decided to start coming back on here and already im into a crossfire 'i can throw my toys furthar than you can' debate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no argument between TOC and LOC. The way i see it, is the people who spend time on LOC will be in a different social circle to the people on TOC, they know faces and names within their circle and likewise for TOC.

Its NATURAL that certain people will group together.

Hell! We were parked next to the Honda Type R folks! Im sure theyre miffed because we didnt go and talk to them... well Chris did :lol:

I dont think it was really anti social at all, personally i know very few from LOC, but the odd face i reckognised from previous years i gave them a 'nod' or such like. I was more than happy to let them 'get on with it' while we 'got on with it'.

The American chaps were a good laugh, handing out beers and the one lad who bought the Ram 1500 also offered the chance to have a laugh at his sub they had blown up a few hours earlier :lol:

I also hear LOC 'took over the stand', well fair play, their members were more interested in turning up, so by proportion, they perhaps deserved a little more area, its not as if they shoved all the Toyotas to the back, bar my own admission as mine is a shed and the other car was a Renault, they were pretty much equal up at the front.

i dont find ANY of the Lexus guys are bad. All sound.. in fact i love you all LOC and TOC and i wanna impregnate you all ;)

Anyway, lets get back on track about the good times.

erm wrong and wrong :lol: plently of drunken silliness, and I had a stupid bandana if not a hat...lol , your only party people, if you attend the party!! :P ..:lol:

Oh dear, ive only just decided to start coming back on here and already im into a crossfire 'i can throw my toys furthar than you can' debate :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no argument between TOC and LOC. The way i see it, is the people who spend time on LOC will be in a different social circle to the people on TOC, they know faces and names within their circle and likewise for TOC.

Its NATURAL that certain people will group together.

Hell! We were parked next to the Honda Type R folks! Im sure theyre miffed because we didnt go and talk to them... well Chris did :lol:

I dont think it was really anti social at all, personally i know very few from LOC, but the odd face i reckognised from previous years i gave them a 'nod' or such like. I was more than happy to let them 'get on with it' while we 'got on with it'.

The American chaps were a good laugh, handing out beers and the one lad who bought the Ram 1500 also offered the chance to have a laugh at his sub they had blown up a few hours earlier :lol:

I also hear LOC 'took over the stand', well fair play, their members were more interested in turning up, so by proportion, they perhaps deserved a little more area, its not as if they shoved all the Toyotas to the back, bar my own admission as mine is a shed and the other car was a Renault, they were pretty much equal up at the front.

Good point there rob!

Also Lexus had a bigger pitch ordered anyway, 3rd bigger was ordered just that john did not mark out the TOC section.

erm wrong and wrong :lol: plently of drunken silliness, and I had a stupid bandana if not a hat...lol , your only party people, if you attend the party!! :P ..:lol:

I couldnt get Friday off work and didnt want to drive 8 hours over 2 days!!!

Anyway, we will have to see at the Christmas party!!!!

Should have done what we did and get a big screen up with Gran Tourismo. Toyota vs. Honda all night, was great fun :lol:

In terms of what should be done in the future, it would be better for both clubs I reckon if we did spend more time on one stand, even if it is divided into two halves. Usually the bigger groups get the better spots at meets.

Anyway, I actually spoke to a few Lexus owners and found they were ok :D

It's true there is a bit of a demographic difference between TOC and LOC: if you are young, fit, handsome and poor you drive a Toyota; if you are a rich old bufty you drive a Lexus :lol:

I don't think that's ever going to change, but I'm sure we can all still get along :thumbsup:

Paul.

.... if you are young, fit, handsome and poor you drive a Toyota; ....

Oh dear.... I don't fall in that grouping so maybe I should consider a different marque :(

As for this LOC/TOC thingy.... having spoken to numerous drivers owning different cars I just cannot see why a Lexus owner should be any different to a Toyota owner. They like the car they drive and good luck to them. If anyone is approached in a decent and polite manner surely they will respond accordingly, but maybe one or two owners were just caught at a bad time and maybe others are just shy :unsure:

Well i will say it short as im still tired lol

JAE 2008 was absolutly .......................

Awesome :) Great people, and nice meeting everyone again, and Carl and Suzanne thanks for all the food and drinks it was great meeting you guys and such a laugh, i will say a full story tommorrow :)

I have read through this entire thread hoping to find reports on what JAE was like, the thread was promising at the start with some good reports, some good things and some bad things, but it has since degenerated into a completely different subject... I want to know....

What the show was like...

What the layout was like...

What the facilities were like..

What the location was like..

What the trade stands were like...

What the food from the vendors was like...

What the general atmosphere was like...

etc etc etc

Having been to the last 3 JAE's I know what to expect from the people who attend, I know what a laugh being with TOC can be, I know the feelings of "division" between LOC and TOC (although I wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush... both clubs could do more to improve relations at shows) I really don't want to read about the same things as happened at EoE, this is a new venue, I want to hear more about that side of things.

Reason being, for us it is a 1,000 mile round trip, it's all very well for people to say if we are car enthusiasts the distance shouldn't be a problem... but it is, with the cost of fuel being what it is and 2 cars to travel with (1 turbo and 1 supercharged) distance = £££'s, you might say just bring the one car, if that was to be the case then it would need to be the Corolla (which is factory standard) as the MR2 just isn't big enough and why spend ££££'s modding the Roadster to leave it at home?, besides, all weekend I would be asked why I didn't bring it :lol:

We also have to think about booking my summer holidays for next year to be guaranteed the time off together and as we need to book holiday time to attend we are limited to just one show this far away, We enjoyed the previous JAE's we have attended but unfortunately this year with the dates changing at short notice we were unable to attend, at first the location did bring us to question whether we would go or not, but after thinking about it we decided it would still be worth traveling to (even had an offer to help break up the journey with an overnight stop over :)) but then couldn't change both our holiday bookings. This led us to organize the camping trip, known now as CAE..

So I want to know what the show was like so I can decide whether it's another CAE (as a few members from both TOC and MR2roc have asked if I will do it again next year) or JAE for next year... so lets leave the TOC v LOC c**p and get on with reviewing JAE properly as a spectacle.

What the show was like... Good as the car owners made it that way

What the layout was like... Messy and poorly laid out

What the facilities were like.. Average really, the temporary loos were disgusting

What the location was like.. Somewhat remote and far from ideal as it is on the coast

What the trade stands were like... Few in number but good as they could be I guess

What the food from the vendors was like... Reasonable but there were few vendors there, due to the location I think

What the general atmosphere was like... The atmosphere felt good to me as it was compact.... still JAE is about the owners

What the show was like... Going by other JAEs poor. There were no memorably stunning cars in my eyes. No handling track, or drift arena. I'd love to see a 0-60 trial like at Trax

What the layout was like... Poor, cramped, and like a maze. it took us the best part of an hour to find the reading tribe stand. - this wasn't helped by the fact that 9/10 people had no phone signal. -and admitedly we arrived in the dark. I'd feel sorry for those with low cars.. especially after they claimed on the JAE forum that it was low car friendly. I saw a rather nice R34 GTR with a demolished splitter heading in on day 3...

What the facilities were like.. Poor, I thought, I have a real OCD hand washing thing going on, I need sinks and soap too! The vile portaloos made me feel dirty, so I had to walk all the way to the "proper" ones, that were soapless the whole time I was there!

What the location was like.. Location Location Location. It’s a bit "out of the way" for most. Logic dictates that a national show should be at a central location.

What the trade stands were like... Trade stands? VERY thin on the ground. a real disapointment.

What the food from the vendors was like... Average and expensive (I only used a burger van once)

What the general atmosphere was like... Despite all of the above it was not bad actually, very laid back, a little too laid back infact as everyone seemed to go to bed early!

cant say i fancy the beach much :lol:

Beach wasnt too bad actually... ok so there was a sofa or two, but was amusing :P sitting on the edge of the coastline looking out across the water was still lovely (but then I had some good company too)

As for the lack of interest, I decided this year not to go to JAE, the first time i have decided not to in 8 years.

My reasons were the talk of the causeway being one,

but the main reason was the lack of Hotels with walking distance of the venue.

I dont camp, i dont own a tent & i never intend to buy one :P

I love camping... I feel it adds to the atmosphere even more.. BUT! :) there was a static caravan park about 5mins walk from the showground along the coast which had all amenities (you own shower, loo, oven, hob, bed etc)... and some of the peeps stayed there and said it was good.

What the show was like...

What the layout was like...

What the facilities were like..

What the location was like..

What the trade stands were like...

What the food from the vendors was like...

What the general atmosphere was like...

1) I thought really good, cosy again, with twists and turns, hedges and trees to give people privacy without being overly segregated.

2) Not bad (tho I think MR2OC got the best stand position tbh so I'm biased lol :P) I think all in all it was a good layout, just coulda done with being bigger in general.

3) Facilities were actually not bad. After exploring the site a few times, there were portaloos everywhere (although the site staff shoulda made provisions for them to be cleaned part way over the weekend as the guy turned up sat morning expecting people to move their cars... access roads would have been good.. so ultimately our loos (and poss others) never got cleaned, so yeah after a hot few days they smelt a bit! There were standard toilets too tho, two sets of ladies and gents in the main courtyard (and possibly somewhere near the canteen but I didnt look). There were also 3 lots of showers, and I only had to queue once for about 5mins for a shower... pressure was good, tho on the 2nd day the water was a little on the cool side.

I believe most stands had generators, and we even had a hose pipe on our stand which was very useful!

4) Location, brilliant. I didnt think it was any more difficult to get to than EoE really, we did motorways pretty much all the way there. The 'infamous' causeway was not an issue at all (well wasnt for me anyways and a lot of peeps I know said the same).. so people can stop going on about that lol. The beach ok wasnt white sand and turquoise waters, but it was nice enough to look at and listen to/walk along... lots of oysters there!

5) Trade stands were good what was there, but there blatently wasnt enough!! I think that now people have been and will go back etc and there have been some good reports of the place and some people's worries were put to bed... more may turn up next year... but what was there was ok.

6)Food was really good actually, nice chips, and a gorgeous chicken butty from the chicken van lol! Also the fry-up brekkie in the canteen in the morning was spot on!.. the rest of the time we catered for ourselves :)

7) I think the general atmosphere varied from stand to stand... so although I visited TOC I can only really properly comment about MR2OC. We had a blast, a good laugh, drinking having fun and chatting. We had a couple of issues with certain regions keeping to themselves but overall people came together no matter where they were from.

Mike has posted this vid of his pics... its of course MR2OC biased (lo) but I think it sums up the fun we had...

I love camping... I feel it adds to the atmosphere even more.. BUT! :) there was a static caravan park about 5mins walk from the showground along the coast which had all amenities (you own shower, loo, oven, hob, bed etc)... and some of the peeps stayed there and said it was good.

Yes JJ i knew about the static vans, back when it was first announced that JAE was going to be somewhere on Mercea,

i looked into it, they had 6 vacant vans but the cheapest was over £150, when i used to stay in a hotel for £60 ;)

Then when the JAE folk announched where on mercea it was going to be, i looked again and they were fully booked.

To be fair about the beach, the photos i have seen on here it looks crap :lol:

but the pictures i have seen on other forums i use it looks ok :rolleyes:

Yes JJ i knew about the static vans, back when it was first announced that JAE was going to be somewhere on Mercea,

i looked into it, they had 6 vacant vans but the cheapest was over £150, when i used to stay in a hotel for £60 ;)

Then when the JAE folk announched where on mercea it was going to be, i looked again and they were fully booked.

To be fair about the beach, the photos i have seen on here it looks crap :lol:

but the pictures i have seen on other forums i use it looks ok :rolleyes:

It sure didn't look ok to me :rolleyes:

60b98139.jpg

:eek: That dont look good Les :!Removed!: :lol::lol::lol:

This is one of the ones i saw :unsure:

DSC_3236.jpg

Thats a 'distance' shot, you can just see one of the sofas past the edge of the cliff :lol: and two random black things on the beach that looked discarded from something-or-other.

Up close was even worse, plenty of broken glass, and as mentioned before the sea was a lovelly shade of brown :lol:

the sea was a lovelly shade of brown :lol:

So it was not a suntan you all came home with then....you had just been in the sea :yucky::laughing: :lol2:

the sea was a lovelly shade of brown :lol:

So it was not a suntan you all came home with then....you had just been in the sea :yucky::laughing: :lol2:

Yeah ive now also got an additional arm, 14 toes and an extra buttock :)

Mmm, Lovely Beach :eek:

Well, the RAV4s maybe revving up for next year, depending on location :thumbsup:

Same place again!! ;)