Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Sr180

Sulphur Man

Hello all, first time post from possible future Toyota owner.

Test drove a RAV4 SR180 yesterday and came away thoroughly impressed. Wondrous engine, excellent handling/ride compromise and the right versatility for my family.

However, I have one query, the saleslady at Inchcape Basingstoke claims the SR180 has a lower, but wider torque band to the discontinued T180, as some owners expressed frustration at the power delivery of the T180. Is this true? Is the SR180 remapped from a T180? First I've heard about it.

The only negative I had was the seats arent quite as good as the rest of the car. The demo car had optional leather, good quality too, but the seat support and overall comfort didnt meet a £23K car. Not bad as such, but beneath the standards of the drive itself. The rear seat is a bit bench-like. Apart from that, great car.

Any other SR180 owners out there?

Most people here seem to absolutely love the power of their T180s!

The only re-occuring problem/issue with the T180s is the RFTS - which the SR180 has as well, of course :fear:

There are powerchips that you could fit to take an XT5 D4D upto approaching SR180 levels ;)

T180 = 400Nm of torque.

Sr180 = 400Nm of torque.

Saleslady = full of talk! :lol:

It could be re-mapped but I doubt it :unsure:

Like Hoovie said, the question you have to ask is about the run-flat tyres. Have they the equipment to change them? Ask to see it! Talk to the fitters who do the job, are they happy working on run-flats and have they done any without damaging the support ring?

If they are not willing to answer any of these questions......walk away!

For what it is worth without the RFT's, the T180 / Sr 180 is a truely great car IMHO! :thumbsup:

The only re-occuring problem/issue with the T180s is the RFTS - which the SR180 has as well, of course :fear:

;)

Coming from owning 2 BMWs I have no problem with RFTs, and I'm surprised at the backlash to them on this forum. All modern BMWs are equipped with them and the resale values are unaffected. Plus, look at the size of the RAV4 and the wheels - do you really want to be sat at the side of a busy road trying to replace a wheel on a wet winter night?

Should we buy an SR180, my wife and daughter will be using the car predominantly. I'd rather it were fitted with RFTs for their convenience and safety.

Ok, thats the blue touchpaper lit.

The RFT on BMW's and Mini's are stiff side walled tyres and are easy to work on.

The RFT on the Sr180 is the so-called Bridgestone Support Ring system, a unique fitment to just the Sr 180 / T180, using a steel ring in the well of the wheel. It needs special equipment and training to replace the tyre, that only certain Toyota or Bridgestone trained garages have.

It is a very time-consuming process (hours if not days) to change a tyre and you are usually charged labour!

Most people after driving with a flat have ended up paying for a new support ring (it turn's 50p shaped), if the garage haven't damaged it getting the tyre off.

No one says RFT are not a good idea but the BSR is poor method of going about things!

Sulphurman, it may well be worth your while checking if there are any new T180's in stock at any Toyota Dealers that may suit you as being the "old" model, they could well be heavily discounted and are actually a better spec then the SR180s (not sure what they changed, but IIRC they took away some nice things when they went from T180 to SR180)

Re the RFTS, I don't think people have an objection to Run-Flats per se, but Toyota/Bridgstones implementation of them. The RAV4 RFTs need special equipment to just change the wheel and not even all Toyota Dealers have them, let alone your high street tyre fitter.

Obviously at the end of the day, it is your choice 100%, but just want you to understand what many feel is a weak point in a superb car and if that should impact your decision at all (like you say, RFTs can be a great boon, but there is a downside).

As it happens, where you live, there are some extremely competant Toyota Dealers in close proximity, so that is a major advantage (I have bought from Octagen Bracknell and had dealings with the dealer in Sandhurst/Yateley whose name I have forgotten)

They took away the standard, Leather, SatNAv bluetooth

Also re-mapped engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's the same as the T180 now called an SR180.......

I would ask them question regarding the RFT as they are a bugger to change and cost a lot when the garage knacker them changing them.....Think the longest so far has been 10 days changing a tyre :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tell us what the garage say...when we quizzed the sales guy at the motor show, he was dribbling and lying also trying to big up the RFT's... soon put that right...

Apart from that, I would sell the wife :unsure: :unsure: to get my hand s on a T180/SR180.......Then have chage to replace those awful RFT tyres....

had a look on toyota.co.uk - the T180s are still a fair premium over the SR-180s.

Couple of dealers have the SR180 only slightly higher (£300 or so) more then same age/mileage XT-Rs!

Fujisan, Hoovie

Thanks for the excellent advice and insight into the unique RFTs on the T180/SR180. I can now see why many forum members feel frustrated by this product decision. It sounds like the support operation for this tyre system isn't up to scratch yet - no one should have to wait more than a day for a tyre to be replaced, definitely not on mass-manufactured SUV.

I test drove the car through Inchcape Basingstoke, who were kind, courteous and not at all pushy. We had the SR180 to ourselves for an hour or so, and we tested it on as many varied roads around the area and countryside as we could. I'm aware that Octagon Bracknell has a good reputation. Hopefully these two dealerships will support an SR180 tyre failure as best they can. You're right, chatman, I plan on asking a few searching RFT questions before purchasing.

What I like most about the SR180 is it's attitude. As far as I can tell, its the only SUV in the sector (£18-25k) which aspires to being more than a school-run ferry. It's got the styling and performance of a GTI. As a new family man who's always bought nippy cars, this is a great compromise. All the others I've driven were docile wimps, the CR-V especially. The most obvious competitor is the Ford S-Max 2.5T, but that's thirsty and characterless.

What Toyota have slipped up on is the front seats. The SR180 shouldnt have the stock seats of the rest of the range. Some sporty bolstered efforts, perhaps with the red SR180 from the tailgate embossed on them, would finish things off brilliantly.

Does the Auris SR180 have sports seats? If so, why not in the RAV?

I think you have summed up the opposition quite nicely re Ford and CR-V :thumbsup:

The economy some T180 drivers report is pretty astounding for a 4x4 180BHP motor as well, so it really is the best of both worlds.

Maybe get a nice custom leather retrim on the seats? that would look pretty smart :thumbsup:

Re the RunFlats: the two issues are availability and cost - In your location, availability really should not be a problem :eek: and I think it is possible to take out a long-term insurance plan on the tyres as well if you are the type of person who likes to know upfront the cost of their motoring (I do, anyway!).

Yeah, I'm confident that the car would be economical. After 10mins driving my wife and I both realised that decent progress can be made without breaking 2000rpm. Gotta love that torque!

I might make a cheeky suggestion about the seats to Toyota UK, just to see if they'd respond.

No one seems to confirm, or deny, that the SR180 is remapped and has different torque characteristics to the late T180...... Any T180 owners driven an SR?

Hey Sulphur Man.... :D

dont forget that Octagon also have a branch in Reading... they are quite good there so would be very supprised if they dont do repair work on the RFTS - Personally I'd get a xt5 unfortunately the budget at the time did not stretch so I opted for big red xt4 2lrt petrol... Still great car - I dont know what these car reviewers are fed on but I dont think their review of the 2ltr petrol is all great... I believe the petrol Rav is fab..

Regards

Rob

B)

Fujisan, Hoovie

Thanks for the excellent advice and insight into the unique RFTs on the T180/SR180. I can now see why many forum members feel frustrated by this product decision. It sounds like the support operation for this tyre system isn't up to scratch yet - no one should have to wait more than a day for a tyre to be replaced, definitely not on mass-manufactured SUV.

I test drove the car through Inchcape Basingstoke, who were kind, courteous and not at all pushy. We had the SR180 to ourselves for an hour or so, and we tested it on as many varied roads around the area and countryside as we could. I'm aware that Octagon Bracknell has a good reputation. Hopefully these two dealerships will support an SR180 tyre failure as best they can. You're right, chatman, I plan on asking a few searching RFT questions before purchasing.

What I like most about the SR180 is it's attitude. As far as I can tell, its the only SUV in the sector (£18-25k) which aspires to being more than a school-run ferry. It's got the styling and performance of a GTI. As a new family man who's always bought nippy cars, this is a great compromise. All the others I've driven were docile wimps, the CR-V especially. The most obvious competitor is the Ford S-Max 2.5T, but that's thirsty and characterless.

What Toyota have slipped up on is the front seats. The SR180 shouldnt have the stock seats of the rest of the range. Some sporty bolstered efforts, perhaps with the red SR180 from the tailgate embossed on them, would finish things off brilliantly.

Does the Auris SR180 have sports seats? If so, why not in the RAV?

T180 = 400Nm of torque.

Sr180 = 400Nm of torque.

Saleslady = full of talk! :lol:

It could be re-mapped but I doubt it :unsure:

I have always been under the impression that the toyota ecu couldnt be re-mapped, certainly not by tuning companies..i have seen figures for two "CHIP" companies who claim they can take the 136bhp to 170bhp and 380nm of torque; which is pretty close, add a TTE exhaust, and who knows, but same companies can chip the t180 to215bhp.. :drool::drool:

No one seems to confirm, or deny, that the SR180 is remapped and has different torque characteristics to the late T180...... Any T180 owners driven an SR?

Hello Sulphur, I've driven both! :D

The engine is the same, the SR180 I drove was a little 'tight', but it would loosen with miles.

The T180 has leather seats that are a better design than the SR180 (8 way adjustment) also it has keyless entry and Sat Nav/Bluetooth. If you can find a low mileage 08 plate T180 then I would go for one of them! :thumbsup:

As for the run flats, Reading and Bracknell won't touch them (but they will change a complete one if there is a warranty issue), Basingstoke broke my inner ring (and 'tried' to charge me for it), Oxford make up the price as they go along and Slough broke their machine! :rolleyes:

If I can be any more help, let me know :)

P.S I know a good independent that can change them!

After buying my T180 a few months back, it hurt me doing this, but I just looked up http://www.allapprovedcars.com for T180s and how the prices have dropped :(

Check these out:

1. Toyota Rav 4 2.2TD T180 Station Wagon 5dr Tyrol Silver with a Grey Faro Leather interior Registered Nov 2007Location Romford 7,578 Miles £18,813

2. Toyota Rav 4 2.2TD T180 Station Wagon 5dr Astral Black with a Black Cloth interior Registered Jun 2008 Location Newport 2,500 Miles £20,850 (But surely must be a SR180 if it is cloth?)

3. Toyota Rav 4 2.2TD T180 Station Wagon 5dr Tyrol Silver with a Black Faro Leather interior Registered Apr 2008 Location Colchester 250 Miles £21,500 See http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Toyota...CarDetails.aspx

Incredible.

Well well... I would have thought that the Reading team would have sorted it out... They always seem very helpfull n stuff...

SO there it is... perhaps a XT5 would be better... Thats quite a bit of milage just to get a wheel replaced... Bet they dont tell you this when they try to sell you a t180/sr180

regards

Rob

B)

Hello Sulphur, I've driven both! :D

The engine is the same, the SR180 I drove was a little 'tight', but it would loosen with miles.

The T180 has leather seats that are a better design than the SR180 (8 way adjustment) also it has keyless entry and Sat Nav/Bluetooth. If you can find a low mileage 08 plate T180 then I would go for one of them! :thumbsup:

As for the run flats, Reading and Bracknell won't touch them (but they will change a complete one if there is a warranty issue), Basingstoke broke my inner ring (and 'tried' to charge me for it), Oxford make up the price as they go along and Slough broke their machine! :rolleyes:

If I can be any more help, let me know :)

P.S I know a good independent that can change them!

If I were you mate, and I'm one of the many on here who would kill for a T180/SR180, I would take a test drive

in an XT5 before you make your decision. The standard 2.2 is certainly no slouch, as said above you could allways

chip it later.

If I were you mate, and I'm one of the many on here who would kill for a T180/SR180, I would take a test drive

in an XT5 before you make your decision. The standard 2.2 is certainly no slouch, as said above you could allways

chip it later.

Whenever I see a T180 on the road i always feel a little envious, I don,t know if its the chrome grill, the slightly bigger wheels, or the flared wheel arches, but it some how has more presence, or maybe its just that I know whats under the bonnet :drool::drool: but i would still be put off by those RFs.

I don't think the depreciation is any worse than any other 4x4 at the moment, as all of them are percieved to be gas guzzlers which we of course know, isn't true.. :yes:

Whilst some people are spreading doom and gloom about the prices of RAV's and other 4x4's we have had a very strong period of RAV sales, maybe the used prices are a bit cheaper, but we can sell nearly all we get hold of. To this extent we have got fantastic deals on all NEW RAV''s because we want your part exchange RAV's to sell on

LINDOP DEAL

The Lindop deal lasts until 30th September so if your looking for a new RAV, check it out, we do Nationwide delivery too!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well well... I would have thought that the Reading team would have sorted it out... They always seem very helpfull n stuff...

They do tell you Rob, Reading told me that they didn't change these tyres when I bought my T180 :thumbsup:

Hi Sulphur Man, really don't think you will regret your decision to buy one of these Q cars. I think originally the majority of T180 owners, myself included, just wanted the engine which to be absolutely honest, has so much grunt it is unbelievable. It appears to me that a lot of people see the RAV Badge on the back and think that the T180 and SR180 have similar performance to other RAVs; this is not necessarily the case!!! Cannot believe that they have remapped/rechipped the engine to produce lower torque, no point whatsoever, might just as well discontinue the 180 engine in that case. The simple fact remains that an Avensis Estate fitted with a 180 engine can out accelerate a Porsche Boxter at certain mid-ranges.

Love my T180 to pieces, especially with all the goodies that were built into it. The only issue I have, as with currently only T180 owners, are the b****y RFTs. The simple fact is that after speaking extensively with a guy from Bridgestone, and despite other comments on this forum, I have discovered that these tyres, in the hands of an experienced fitter can be changed in four minutes. I will have three tyres to replace next year and I will not take any old bunny from Toyota or nearest local authorised Bridgestone SSR RFT concerning labour charges and replacement of the support ring. We just have to stick together on this issue and kick up stink. I still have ongoing communication with Essex Trading Standards on the whole issue of these currently one model specific tyres only.

Please don't let the above observations put you off purchasing what is undoubtedly a lovely SUV with tremendous amount of torque and power that makes the various towing that I do, a sheer pleasure.

Best Regards

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links