Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throtle Flat Spot / Delay

Green Goddess

Hi, I've only had my Roadster for a few weeks and as I've never driven another one this may not be a fault but.... since I've had it, I've found that when changing gear I need to take my foot off the throtle for at least a couple of seconds before depressing the clutch to give the engine revs enough time to go die down. There is also a delay when pressing the throtle which means a stutter when re-applying it. The car also has trouble starting when hot, it seems to start when releasing the key. It starts well enough from cold. Any ideas? (The first day that I had the car the engine managemnet light came on and a new exhaust sensor cost me £200 so I'm trying to keep away from my Toyota garage for a little while!)

Hi, I've only had my Roadster for a few weeks and as I've never driven another one this may not be a fault but.... since I've had it, I've found that when changing gear I need to take my foot off the throtle for at least a couple of seconds before depressing the clutch to give the engine revs enough time to go die down. There is also a delay when pressing the throtle which means a stutter when re-applying it. The car also has trouble starting when hot, it seems to start when releasing the key. It starts well enough from cold. Any ideas? (The first day that I had the car the engine managemnet light came on and a new exhaust sensor cost me £200 so I'm trying to keep away from my Toyota garage for a little while!)

Hi GG.

I had a similar problem with my Roadster recently, hesitation/delay to increase revs when pressing the accelerator. Took it to my local Toyota dealer, they cleaned the MAF sensor, this cured the problem.

Labour charge was a bit steep; don't know if MAF cleaning is something you can do yourself, wish I was bit more technically minded.

Best reagrds.

Pete.

Hi GG.

I had a similar problem with my Roadster recently, hesitation/delay to increase revs when pressing the accelerator. Took it to my local Toyota dealer, they cleaned the MAF sensor, this cured the problem.

Labour charge was a bit steep; don't know if MAF cleaning is something you can do yourself, wish I was bit more technically minded.

Best reagrds.

Pete.

MAF sensor cleaning

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63346

Hi GG, is the gearbox a manual or SMT?

Hi, sorry to be so long in replying - I've only just managed to find everyones replies!! Anyway it's a manual gearbox. I thought for a moment that things might have been fixed when the plugs were changed (the mechanic said he'd never seen such a gap and didn't think they'd ever been changed in 50,000 miles!!)

However the flat spot is still there. Is the MAF sensor people speak of the 'thing' between the air filer and the engine? Good grief I feel dim!

Hi GG, is the gearbox a manual or SMT?

Hi, sorry to be so long in replying - I've only just managed to find everyones replies!! Anyway it's a manual gearbox. I thought for a moment that things might have been fixed when the plugs were changed (the mechanic said he'd never seen such a gap and didn't think they'd ever been changed in 50,000 miles!!)

However the flat spot is still there. Is the MAF sensor people speak of the 'thing' between the air filer and the engine? Good grief I feel dim!

Loads of info HERE That should help :thumbsup: