Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

K&n Air Filter

crisskro

So.. I've e-mailed K&N enquiring about a universal air filter (not panel). Here's what they replied (and FAST):

"Hello Chris,

The RC-5052 is a universal product. It is not specifically developed for certain models. In this case I don’t know if you definitely want the APOLLO or you want some kind of performance kit; we do have a 57i kit in development for the Aygo 1.0L (actually two; depending on if you have ESP). These kits are not available yet, but I expect them soon.

If you still want the universal Apollo kit; You first have to make sure if the Apollo fits under the hood (I doubt it, since there is not much space between the air intake and the reservoir). You also have to measure the diameter of the part where the Apollo will be fitted. The diameter of the flange of the Apollo is 70mm. If the diameter of the intake is 80mm for example, you will need the 85-6001.

In this case I would advise you to have a little patience and wait for the 57i kits. "

These are great news, was waiting for quite some time for a good, special for the aygo, sport filter. I'll wait for the 57i kits :thumbsup:

A K&N Apollo Kit WILL fit HOWEVER you will need an elbow pipe similar to what Guido has made on his my107 page: -

http://my107.blogspot.com/2008/07/my107-my...uction-kit.html

On the K&N site, they still require either an Aygo or C1 or 107 as a test mule for their kit development and have been since January this year, and with the unlikely hood of there being a willing owner who will hand his/her car over for between 1-5 days is rather slim...

Best to try and source out an elbow pipe configuration as per the link above and buy the Apollo Kit with a 60mm-70mm adaptor so the kit will fit

That's what i intend to do before Christmas this year - fingers crossed that and a set of new alloys! :D

I also made my own custom induction kit with an K&N airfilter.

You can almost use every airfilter (universal or some brand like K&N) for an induction kit.

Just buy a filter and some aluminium pipe together with two silcone elbows and you can do the trick.

Use 2.5" / 63mm elbows and pipe.

InductieKit01.jpg

InductieKit02.jpg

InductieKit03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally its here - something for me to get when i get paid this month!

I've already emailed them asking how much it will cost and also there is a picture of an installer removing the springs clips off the intake manifold part and there is a "carbon fibre like" blanking panel there - wonder where they got that?

I've emailed them anyways so hopefully have an answer soon!

I'm going to wait until they tell if there is any hp increase. "Sounds cool" is not enough, i get that from my exhaust :P

Well got an email back from K&N regarding this kit: -

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products.

Unfortunately the blanking plate will not be included in the kit due to costs, this plate will not be available as an accessory. The retail price is £92.07 +vat, we cannot supply direct.

FYI The 57-0673 is only for models with ESP, the kit for models without ESP will be out shortly.

Which begs the question - what's the difference (fitment wise) between cars with ESP and without ESP? I know the main difference is cars with ESP have electronic throttle bodies as opposed to cars that don't who make do with a cable-operated throttle body...

But surely that shouldn't mean any difference fitting it? Unless the diameter of the 2 throttle bodies are different diameters?

*EDIT* Got my answer and my guess was correct, here's the reply i got: -

Hi Paul,

Models with ESP have an electronic throttle with a much smaller throttle body so the intake hose diameter is smaller.

Thanks

Scott

Good news peoples!!! got the following email from Scott this morning: -

Hi Paul,

We’re expecting the new intake hoses in within 10days, once these arrive we will build the kits so realistically it will be towards the middle of next month when the kit is released (Part number 57-0669), no price yet

However stay tuned here as i'm talking to distributors a lot so i might be able to get a discount on the retail price by way of a group buy

Anyone interested saving up for a group buy for next month? Put your name down!

1. Paul Gi

• 3 weeks later...

Seems it's out now, no pictures yet. I have a friend who has ordered it for a while now, he is going to sell it to me once it arrives (should be here next week probably). After it is fitted, I'll post some pictures. Should be the first one fitted in my country :D

I took a pipercross dual density foam panel filter used for a motorbike and cut it and some wide gap metal mesh to go above it.

The black side filters large particles then it filters smaller particles on the second red layer and is impreganted with a sticky oil to catch dust.

The advantage is it carries on flowing air as it gets dirty without dropping performance for much longer than a paper filter. Secondly it's extremely easy to take out and wash.

Cost to me: £10

Result: Car idles better, picks up on the throttle better and is much quieter. The exhaust rattle when pulling away has gone. Sounds crazy for it to make so much difference but it does. I'm now monitoring economy to see if the change is causing the ECU to use more fuel to get the correct mix or the better filter is allowing more efficient use of throttle and therefore less fuel.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the K&N should have a good result on the Aygo as it's standard set up is not great.

I'm thinking that some better spark plugs, 100 octane fuel, k&n filter and a less restrictive final exhaust, PLUS remaping the ECU for these modifications will be GREAT :D At least, I'm hoping it will be :) Expecting somewhere around 80 hp and a 0-60 time of under 11 seconds, will see next spring when hopefully all the modifications will be competed.

I think they are scheduled for 60,000 miles? Probably NGK which are good. Most times if you take them out at say 30,000 and give them a clean with a wire brush and re-set the gap they'll work like new again.

Not sure if they do an Iridium plug for this model yet but they are usually a little better.

Possibly a stupid question... but what is that little filter doing there on your engine? :D what's it for etc? :)

Possibly a stupid question... but what is that little filter doing there on your engine? :D what's it for etc? :)

That's not a filter, that is a small lampshade for when he is working on the engine on those cold winter nights .... :D

Regards

Andy

Well, the guy I was going to buy the filter changed his mind, and fitted the filter on his c1 or 107, whatever he has. This is after he has confirmed selling it to me. As you've guess, I'm totally dissapointed.

I'm not convinced the one in the picture will be any good.

The airbox is providing the engine with a reservoir of fairly still cool air, lying the filter above the engine like that is opening it up to the heat of the engine - ie the air could be less dense.

Taking some time to make a slightly larger airbox and getting air from somewhere even cooler would be a better way to go in my humble opinion.

Well, done my first test with my filter from full tank and hit 139 before I lost the first "block" of petrol. I normally and consitently lose this at 125miles.

That's a huge increase, almost too good. Will see how the rest of the tank runs down and do an MPG check off the pump figure. With the normal filter I hit 61mpg. If my initial result is accurate I should see around 65-66mpg which would be amazing.

Should know in about a week.

rqvsean

Your conversion sounds great and with that improvment in gas consumption, keep us posted. Do you have some pictures?

Have a nice weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally got a price for K&N Induction Kit part no 57-0669

RRP = £112.67 Inc VAT

Pricier than what i thought it was gonna be - might hold out for either a group buy or when it's discounted a little further...

rqvsean

Your conversion sounds great and with that improvment in gas consumption, keep us posted. Do you have some pictures?

Have a nice weekend

Hi, got about 4mpg extra and made an effort to not drive over cautiously giving a placebo effect to the change.

Not bad for a £10 mod :thumbsup:

May be able to do pictures at the weekend but it's nothing fancy or difficult.

Well i finally got a price for K&N Induction Kit part no 57-0669

RRP = £112.67 Inc VAT

Pricier than what i thought it was gonna be - might hold out for either a group buy or when it's discounted a little further...

Just did a bit of 'Google-ing' ... is that a verb? .... sorry I digress ... here's a link to the installation instruction for the 57-0699 kit. http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-0669_inst.pdf

I don't think its that good, to me its going to have luke warm air (cool air having passed over the engine) fed to it - apart from the CAI (cold air intake) pipe.

Any one else with thoughts?

I'd prefer something heading to the left (drivers side) of the engine, with a CAI or an enclosed filter - just my 2 pence

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links