Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trade-in Price Of A Compressor

lethal89

Hey guys been thinking about chopping my Silver 57 plate Compressor, it has 22300 miles is in pretty good condition few stone chips but nothing serious, full service history, with tinted windows. Duely attended at my local Arnold Clark dealership at which point the Sales manager offered me 7750 against a new Astra VXR and 7500 against a Leon Cupra sport.

Having paid the 3.50 on Glass's website i knew the car was worth 9560 in excellent condition 8500 in average condition and 7600 in below average condition. When i challenged the sales manager telling him i wanted 9000 i was told Glass's was only a guide!!!! When i asked him how he valued my car he procrastinated before eventually telling me he used the Glass's guide F**K*N unbelievable

Everything is behind book at the moment, however that does sound a bit like they were trying to nick it off you. Out of interest, did they give you the prices quickly or did they take a while to come back? I wonder if they were getting the Rolla underwritten?

If you were looking at new, did the dealer offer money off the new cars or was the PX offer based on list prices for the Astra and Leon? If they offered the new cars at list someone needs to have words with the thieving Mr Clark!!

I bought the car at Toyota Linwood, but the other two dealers were Vauxhall and Seat Linwood.

It did take a while for them to come back to me, what do you mean by under written??

I nearly smacked the smug Bas***d in the mouth at Seat when he came out to "explain" how things worked!! talking to me like i was a half witt, very patronising

I bought the car at Toyota Linwood, but the other two dealers were Vauxhall and Seat Linwood.

It did take a while for them to come back to me, what do you mean by under written??

I nearly smacked the smug Bas***d in the mouth at Seat when he came out to "explain" how things worked!! talking to me like i was a half witt, very patronising

Underwritten is when the dealer gets a trader to offer a price to take the car, so they dont have to sell it themselves, these values are typically low as the trader will want the car cheap if they're going to underwrite it.

Not sure about that they could have sent it to Arnold Clark Toyota which is in the same complex plus they told me the car was what they termed Retail and not a trade in, as it would be easy to shift which made the price even more insulting

The cars "worth" as you put it, is the price Glasses or Parkers or whoever, will quote for if you were selling it privately. In these hard times, not many dealers want a compressor in stock, they are difficult to sell at a dealership at this time. The part ex price (nothing to do with what its retail worth is) is about £8500. Looks like your dealer was offering you £750 BEHIND BOOK which to be honest, on such a car in todays climate is not bad at all. You cant expect your dealer to give you £9500 for it (The worth as you call it) because he has to sell it, service it, fix the chips, pay the VAT on the profit, pay the salesman, pay the valeters..........getting boring yet? oh and make a profit for the company. Now lets not forget this was his first pitch at giving you a price, with a little patience and bartering, you would have negotiated a better price and maybe some goodies to go with it, as it is, all you managed to do was come on here and give the guy a verbal kicking, Lets hope the business you are in is able to ride the stormy waters ahead without one of your customers coming on a forum and kicking seven bells out of you before knowing some of the facts of business. Nothing is set in stone, and neither are guide prices (Glasses, CAP, Parkers) they are indeed guides as to a cars worth, always negotiate, ask for more, free accessories etc, then when you do the maths, you will probably end up at a price far nearer than where you started

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well said Kingo. Those guides are just that - a guide. If the part-ex/trade value is £8500 then a starting offer of £7750 isn't too bad.

Unfortunately you're in a poor position - You're always going to take a big depreciation hit in the first year, more so with a car few people want, even more so with a performance car few people want, with higher than average miles, in the middle of the credit crunch. I can't understand why anyone would buy a new car then sell it (via part-ex) a year later! It's madness.

I sympathise with you like but unfortunately thats the way it is. And show me a salesman who isn't smug! As Kingo says, it's all about the negotiation and until you're actually ready to sit down and talk turkey, you've no idea how much they'll move on their initial offer.

As an aside, how come the value of the rolla t-sport is so poor? Just not a desirable car? The Focus ST also loses big money but not quite as much.

the customer presumption is that the dealer is making enough chuffing profit on the selling of a new car that they can afford to "lose a bit" in terms of giving a generous trade in value against it....

Well said Kingo. Those guides are just that - a guide. If the part-ex/trade value is £8500 then a starting offer of £7750 isn't too bad.

Unfortunately you're in a poor position - You're always going to take a big depreciation hit in the first year, more so with a car few people want, even more so with a performance car few people want, with higher than average miles, in the middle of the credit crunch. I can't understand why anyone would buy a new car then sell it (via part-ex) a year later! It's madness.

I sympathise with you like but unfortunately thats the way it is. And show me a salesman who isn't smug! As Kingo says, it's all about the negotiation and until you're actually ready to sit down and talk turkey, you've no idea how much they'll move on their initial offer.

As an aside, how come the value of the rolla t-sport is so poor? Just not a desirable car? The Focus ST also loses big money but not quite as much.

Chris81

Anything with "Sport" or RS ST etc in the title is a bit of a lemming at the moment. Yes they are a great car, but they are limited to a minority wanting a sporty car. The tide has turned, not many want gas guzzling cars, and that is reflected in the price you can get for it. At this time of year when dealers have a lot of P/EX cars in stock from the 1st Sept plate change, the last thing they want is a car likely to still be on the forecourt in two months time going into the winter, losing money every month it sits there. Just be glad your not the owner of a Cayenne or similar, thay are not worth two toots on a ragmans trumpet :toot: :toot:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I got 11k for my 56 plater last september and that only had 8000 miles on it :(

I've had my car for 20 months so i'm not trying to get rid of it within a year!!!

As far as the salesman was cncerned the 7750 offer was take it or leave, there was no room for negotiation whatsoever.

I'm well aware of the running costs trhe dealership has and the fact that Glass's is only a guide, however its the guide which the dealer will use when choosing how to price the car when they re-sell it. The top bok for the car is 9500 i'm not saying i expected that but to offer me 100 quid above bottom book is nonsense.

Everyone is out to make money i understand that but its not much to ask the dealer to give a little back and in the long run this credit crunch as its carefully put is going to cause problems for the motor trade, hopefully not to the extent where livelyhoods are affected.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links