Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Speed_Chaser

How can I check if I can install cruise in my car? It's a 2011 auris 1.4 d4d. it does have a cruise symbol on the dash (but I can't see the CRUISE lettering)

You can install ecruise or similar. I have ecruise on my 2011 1.4 d4d with Toyota oem stalk, and it works fine.

How can I check if I can install cruise in my car? It's a 2011 auris 1.4 d4d. it does have a cruise symbol on the dash (but I can't see the CRUISE lettering)

You can install ecruise or similar. I have ecruise on my 2011 1.4 d4d with Toyota oem stalk, and it works fine.

You mean chances are my car doesn't have everything pre-wired? It is the TR model so it was available as an option, what model do you have, if it's T2/T3 then maybe it's not wired up.

FYI i'm getting my info from parkers:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-reviews/toyota/auris/hatchback-2007/equipment/

You mean chances are my car doesn't have everything pre-wired? It is the TR model so it was available as an option, what model do you have, if it's T2/T3 then maybe it's not wired up.

FYI i'm getting my info from parkers:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-reviews/toyota/auris/hatchback-2007/equipment/

1.4 diesel and 1.33/1.4 petrol doesn't wiring for cruise, and they don't have support for cruise in ECU.

Read this thread through, it has been dealt with couple of times earlier.

I've seen the post about 1.4/1.33 but wasn't sure if it was referring to the latest 2013 onwards models or pre/post facelift (post-2009)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, after taking apart the dash on my car and the steering wheel I noticed that I have the led for the speed limiter and extra pins available behind the steering wheel. Can anyone tell me is it possible to retro-fit the speed limit function? If anyone on here that is technically minded and has a speed litter switch can they tell me where this button is plugged in and whether it has a resistive switch in it. If I get this information I'm going to try and retro-fit it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm buying a toyota auris hybrid touring with no cruise fitted can anyone advise as to wether it can be fitted and if so what parts are needed. Thanks.

Hi everyone! This is my story about my install:

So after my discovery of this thread and the possibility of installing cruise control on my 2010 Auris T4 Hybrid I went about searching for parts. I did a lot of ringing around breaker's yards for parts and a lot of the Auris cars for breaking didn't have cruise. So I widened the net by looking for other cars which had this the cruise stalk as a standard part.

I found a 2008 Lexus IS 220 which had a cruise stalk with the same part number. I used toyodiy.com to do a parts cross-reference to make sure the model had the correct part. The breaker's yard guy wanted €60 for the Lexus stalk which I felt was a little steep for a second-hand part but seeing as it was handy for me, I was prepared to pay it. I made sure I got the cable and two bolts for it too (very important).

Now for the install:

I tried taking off the air bag cover but the horn keep sounding. So I disconnected the 12V Battery to cancel that problem and also to make sure I didn't have the airbag go off in front of me! I don't do much car maintenance myself so felt a little out of depth but proceeded as I felt confident enough with the instructions on here :)

IMPORTANT: For those who have an Auris Hybrid, the 12V Battery is in the boot. I spent a while looking under the bonnet trying to figure out where it was like a right knob! The manual came to my rescue and directed me to the other end of the car.

Once the 12V Battery was disconnected (I disconnected the positive), I went about removing the air bag. As it is a 2010 model, I didn't need a Torx30 screw driver. The airbag is held in with springs so I just had to push back the springs at an angle, tricky but got it done.

I rested the airbag cover over the speedometer without disconnecting the cable. Next was to create the hole on the steering cover for the stalk. I used a hole saw that plumbers use for drilling a hole in plastic. I completed it with a 25mm core bit. I also used a little sand paper to take off any rough edges (which wasn't much as the core bit gave a really neat cut). I just made sure I centred the hole slightly back towards the column/dash.

The stalk just, just about fit through the 25mm hole. I screwed in the bolts and I connected the cable into the socket. I was quite happy with the clearance for the movement of the stalk and didn't need to make any adjustments to the hole. I then put back on the air bag, which simply is pushed back on with the springs.

I then reconnected the 12V battery. One funny thing that happened this time on the Hybrid - anytime to start the car you normally put your foot on the brake and press the Power button, but this time I got a lots of dash lights. Another press of the Power button got me back to normal ready state. Obviously this will happen when you disconnect the 12V battery!

So some pics of the work:

Auris Cruise Install 01

Auris Cruise Install 02   Springs

Auris Cruise Install 03a

Auris Cruise Install 03b

Auris Cruise Install 03c

Auris Cruise Install 03d

Auris Cruise Install 04   light Off

Auris Cruise Install 05   light On (green Top left)

Auris Cruise Install 06   airbag reconnected

Auris Cruise Install 07   looking good

Auris Cruise Install 08   poetry in motion

One final thing, I need to reset my radio stations, date and time. Back to the manual for the date adjustment which I couldn't figure out!
  • Like 2

Nice write up astrofluff. Was it worth it though? I don't know about the Auris Hybrid cruise but on the Yaris 1.3 it's all a bit clunky / Tonka toy like. Only really suitable for flat motorway work, even then it can be a bit rough.

The Yaris system doesn't seem refined enough, it takes too long to realise we're slowing (incline) and then tries too hard to get back up to speed, invariably over does the 'catch-up' so then lets go, then doesn't pick up until it's below speed and we go around again. It's made all the worse with the CVT box going into max power mode whenever the 'cruise' is a little below the 'set' speed!

I do have a work-around but it's not ideal, I put the gear selector into manual mode (7th) and that calms the CVT down a little, though in 7th the gearing isn't as high as when in full auto mode.

Whoever 'signed off' the Toyota cruise system on the Yaris didn't test it on anything but a flat road.

• Like 1

I bought the stalk and wire brand new from Toyota best buy I've had economy is better and it's very smooth on motorway, hills, a roads, I use it a lot ... Would recommend to anyone

Hi Berisford,

Definitely worth it! The cruise is very smooth on the 1.8L CVT Hybrid on my Auris. I even did an 'accelerate to overtake' with cruise speed set on an incline, and it dropped back comfortably to the set speed. As it was dropping back to the set speed it gently eased back in.

I also have a 2006 1.5L Prius T4 which came with cruise as standard - this is the older engine/electric motor though. Comparing the two cars, the 1.8L Auris is much more powerful (obviously) and even under cruise control, the Auris really seems more substantial and controlled. The older Prius does a great job with cruise but the Auris 1.8L does it much better, and maybe that's the later generation engine/electric motor too. Perhaps when you drop back to the smaller engine size of the 1.3L Yaris, it loses that refinement as the engine has to try harder?!

• Like 1

Nice write up Ciaran! So do you have also speed limiter function now? As the light on your dash with speedo picture stands for the speed limiter I think.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the symbol on my Auris dash is a cruise control symbol where you 'Set' the speed hence the arrow pointing inwards. I believe the generic speed limiter symbol has a lollipop/road sign symbol next to it.

Here is the switch on a Laguna which has both cruise control (arrow pointing inwards) and speed limiter (lollipop/road sign symbol):

10345-mg81011s.jpg

• Like 1

Ah ok sorry, my bad. I thought there has to be some other explanation because I too have this symbol on my CC stalk but it does not allow to limit the speed. On 1st gen Auris there is no such symbol on the speedo though, only the text "cruise". Thanks for the clarification :)

No problem - I'm learning more and more about the car everytime I look something up.

I think the Hybrid dashes have the symbol whereas the MM-petrol and D4D diesels have the word 'Cruise'.

My thinking behind it is that the Hybrid dash is filled up with lights such as the P, D, N, B & Battery, oil and 'Ready' lights on the right hand side and there's not much space remaining. Then on the left side there's a heap more amount of lights such as: dipped headlights, Eco, PWR, skiddycar. They've squeezed in the Cruise light on the top left of these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Do you think this would work on a 03 plate Avensis T4? 1.8 petrol manual?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Can someone advise if I can install Cruise Control on my Toyota Auris 1.6 SR 2008 UK model with engine ZRE151R,

I have the Cruise light on the dash but no cut out on the steering column but there is like a guide where I need to cut out.

Thanks

Ajk126

Hello and welcome on TOC. Seems like it would be suitable. Nobody has the cut out, just the line to guide where to cut. However it seems that this is not always enough as also the engine makes the difference. But regarding things you mentioned everything seems fine and suitable.

Thanks Speed Chaser for the welcome and information.

I have ordered the parts and cable and will give it a go when they arrive and let you know if it worked.

Is there an easy way to test before cutting the hold, would I be able to fully remove the airbag and test.

Thanks

You are welcome :) And yes you can test simply by removing the airbag and connecting the cable with switch to the socket. Then start the car and see if the cruise light comes on after pressing the ON/OFF button at the tip of the switch.

Or... you can remove the steering wheel and take off the back part. It will be easier to cut the hole when it's removed anyways. Then you will be able to mount the airbag back before starting the car just to be safe and not to worry that it will blow!

I wouldn't recommend starting the car without the airbag, otherwise the car will store an airbag error and you need to go to a Toyota dealer to clear the error. Until then airbag will not be functioning and the airbag light will remain on.

Thank you for the advice, the error warnings never occurred to me.

I don't think it will show error in case the airbag is connected with wire, just removed from the original place? To be safe it's better of course to remove the back part of the steering wheel which I suggested as a second option. This will let you keep the airbag in place and connected when starting the car.

If the airbag wire is pluged in and the airbag is just dismounted from the steering wheel, it wouldn't store an error but it is extremely dangerous as if the airbag goes off, you can't even predict which way it will go and what damage it could cause... it's a ticking bomb.

Ajk126, I used to drive a 2008 Auris 1.6 VVT-i with 1ZR-FE engine and have successfully installed the CC, so if you have the same engine and it seems this way as there is only one 1.6 petrol engine for the 2008 Auris, there is nothing to worry about - it will work.

Cheers.

P.S. As a matter of fact, if I were you, I wouldn't (and I didn't) drill the cover. Trust me, no matter how handy you are, it'll be ugly! I sugest you Google these two part numbers, find them and buy them...you can thank me later :clap: 45184-02150-B0 and 45186-12010-B0. I bought them from my local Toyota dealer when installing the CC.