Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Speed_Chaser

when i added cruise onto our 13 plate Auris i turned the steering wheel through 180° this gives you access to all access holes

also when the airbag unclips you can place it on your lap without stretching any cables ,you can then locate the switch and secure

with the screw ,plug in the cable then give the airbag a firm press back in  jobs done

I did turn the wheel through 180°. When I pushed the screwdriver into the holes I don't feel anything releasing. Should I push the screwdriver in at the same time as trying to pull out the airbag. I don't want to be too heavy with it in case something gets damaged internally or something drastic happens with the airbag!!Does anyone have a close up photo of this model steering wheel with the airbag released so I can see what kind of clip I'm trying to release?

Hi,

This first picture shows the steering wheel with the airbag removed (steering wheel pointing at almost straight ahead). Your clips (2) are locating under the cast alloy 'hooks' near the top left and top right of the picture. The hole in the alloy that is at the bottom of that picture has an airbag plastic peg/stud with a ball-end fitted through it.

The second picture shows the back of the airbag, but upside down relative to picture 1. The spring wire you are attempting to locate and detach from the clip in pic 1 is fairly obvious and runs around the edge of the photo. You can just make out the plastic peg/stud at the very top of the picture (it's black).

My suggestion would be to spot the wire through the access holes with a torch, and use a sturdy metal flat blade screwdriver (or even a wire tent peg if it's got a flat end). The clips are not just inside the wheel access holes. They are surprisingly stiff, when the clip is released the airbag will spring out on that side by about 5mm. No real benefit in pulling. Unfortunately the spring wire needs pushing quite a long way before it releases, but you'll know you're pushing against the right part as it pushes back against your screwdriver (or whatever) when you release the pressure on it.

Do the other side the same, then get your fingers at about 3 and 9 o'clock on the airbag and pull it straight away from the wheel towards you, this should release the plastic peg (which is a friction fit). It is only going to move a few centimetres before the airbag wire goes tight, so be wary of yanking it too hard.

HTH.

P1130443.JPG

P1130450.JPG

Thinking about this, if you haven't already bought one of these covers for the to-be-fitted cruise control, then it's worth ordering one beforehand. They are about £4.50 from Toyota. They are colour matched to your trim, this one is for the popular, standard grey/black.

If you can carefully remove the original one before you do anything else, then the steering wheel insides become a lot more obvious.

It isn't a very clever piece of design: if you lever the trim using the provided cut-out, it doesn't immediately spring out, but instead it distorts and then comes off. The trim can usually be bent back if you choose to reuse the original one later (i.e. not fit the c/control).

P1060992.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Friends,

I have toyota auris 1.4d-d4 diesel engine car. I wanna have cruise control for this car. CC system is it fit this car? Somebody help me?

LG-H815 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Hi,

I have a Corolla E15 (2008) with 1zru 1.6 vvti engine. 
I would like to install a cruise control, but i haven't got plug for the CC behind the airbag.

What can I do ? Is there any posibility to install CC on my Corolla ?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

20161114_132955.jpg

Yes, there is possible, you have to change the spiral cable, but first time check presence of CC wire back side of your spiral cable case; the correct one is a light blue wire situated at hole no.1 of it's connector (with 12 pins).

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more pictures of the back of the airbag on a MK2 Auris. The wire airbag securing clip that needs releasing needs to be pressed at the red dot that has been put on the 3rd photo (and its corresponding clip on the other side of the steering wheel). The cast lugs that secure the wire clip to the wheel are angled inwards (1st photo) and attach to the clip at the blue dot, which is why it is so stiff, as the leverage is working against your favour. When you are pushing the wire clip inwards, your effort is also used to spring the clip downwards away from the airbag to get past the ramp on the lug.

P1130437.jpg

P1130441.jpg

P1130440.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a uk 2014 Auris HSD and Toyota tell me this definitely cannot be retro fitted is this the case?

all i can say is that we have a 2013 auris hsd and i retro fitted cruise control onto it with no issues

Was it the stalk and lead thing or a third party one? Also did you fit it yourself and was it easy.

many thanks

i fitted the stalk with the lead myself 1/4 hr - 20 min job to complete on our 13 plate auris hybrid.

1) 1 turned steering wheel through 180 degree's to have the 3 airbag release holes visible i.e. left hand side ,top , right hand side

1a) disconnect Battery ( i didnt disconnect mine)

2) using a round bar or drill bit of the correct diameter ,insert into each release hole you should when your on the wire clip feel some resistance just press your release tool in a little further and the airbag will unclip on that side repeat for the other 2 holes..

3) with the airbag unclipped you can lower the airbag with the wiring still connected onto your lap (Do Not Disconnect If Your Battery Is Still Connected)

4) remove the CC blanking plug from the side of the steering wheel ,insert the switch through the hole and fix the switch in place with the supplied screws then plug in the CC lead the socket its located on the right hand side of the wiring plug see photo below.

5) press the airbag firmly back in place you will hear the horn when you do it.

6) reconnect the Battery if needed.

7) press the end of the CC stalk and look for your new symbol on the dash light up.

8) the original blanking plate will need a hole putting in it so it can be refitted or buy a new one they are only about £5 to buy

pic 8.jpg

Thanks for your help and sorry to be a pest but is your 2013 the newer shaper or older shape, i.e. The same shape as late 2014 shape.

2 hours ago, Slasher_uk said:

Thanks for your help and sorry to be a pest but is your 2013 the newer shaper or older shape, i.e. The same shape as late 2014 shape.

here is a link to an auris for sale its the same shape and same audio as our model

http://www.fow.co.uk/our-cars/view/toyota-auris-ea15evc?view=view&deposit=250&term=48&annual=10000

if you look at image 5 & 6 you can see the interior we have and the headunit thats fitted

the car in the link is a 15 plate

Same shape as mine but different speedo as mine has a screen in the centre because of the hybrid system. But yes ame audio head unit and body shape.

many thanks

10 hours ago, Slasher_uk said:

check to see if you have a small cover on the steering wheel it is located at around the 4 o'clock position this is where the CC stalk will be located when fitted

if you have this then i would say it will fit in no problems.we bought our switch off eBay and it cost £12.

Hi All,

Been looking though the Corolla forum for cruise control but most links end up pointing to this post.

I have a 2006, 1.6 petrol 3ZZFE with electronic accelerator and the original Toyota owners manual  with the car  does show cruise control as an option.

Have anyone done a retro-fit to this model and know exactly want needs doing.

Had a quick look though most of these 25 pages but cannot see anyting for my model, though not sure how much it differs from the Auris steering wheel.

Just that longer mway journeys are now getting rather painfull on the right foot !

Edit   -  Am  I right that this control is whats needed, I know its a China part but £10 seems such a long way off the £125  Mr.T has just quoted.

000173.jpg

Any idea how fitting this would affect my warranty as I have 3 years left.

it would only affect the warranty if the switch caused damage to a circuit in the car

but you will be fine dont worry just do it.

I was born tAny idea how fitting this would affect my warranty as I have 3 years left.

Obviously the cruise control won't be covered by the new car warranty, and if the installation or the cruise control itself caused damage to anything else, that damage won't be covered by the new car warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

how do i check if my 13 auras hybrid can be retro fitted with cruise control

From what I understand they all can even though Toyota say they can't 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links