Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Speed_Chaser

On 18/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, FlorianB said:

Hello Guy's! I will like to great everybody this being my first post! Sorry for the spelling but I am not from the UK I would like to install a CC on my 2014 Auris HSD and having some problems. I already have installed a CC from a Prius : 84632-34011 but it does not seem to work Could it be because I need another part with another reference? For example : 84632-0F010 ?

I have very similar problem with same car. I bought 84632-0F010, but it does not work. But for me is strange to connector coming three wires after connector through cable going two wires (red and black) at cc stick I see three wire. Seems like cable missing one wire. But at toyota service they said, that cable is correct and cc stick part number is good. So they suggested to buy new one from them.

The Toyota cruise control stalk (part no.84632 - 34011) sends information to the controller in the car via an arrangement of 3 resistors.

Instead of using a dedicated controller inside the stalk (as I had wondered), it just places one of the resistors across the two wires when a particular function is requested.  This gives the resume, set and cancel operations.  For the off/on button, it presents a short-circuit across the two wires you mention.

That's how it works with just two wires; the controller is looking for specific resistances, and then interprets those.

If yours doesn't work, you can simply test it (on or off the car) by measuring the resistances it presents down it's two wires when it is disconnected with, say, a digital voltmeter. The resistances used have nearly equal steps, if I remember correctly, maybe 150 ohms, 450 ohms and 750 ohms, or near there!

The part number I used on a 2013 Auris HSD was 84632 - 34011, but I thought that when I bought it (14 months ago), an 84632-0F010 was compatible.

Here is one I dismantled earlier:-

P1060998.JPG

P1070001.JPG

• Thanks 1

Folks about to buy one of these and having went through all 27 pages I hope I haven't missed the answers to any of my queries!

1. To add the stalk do I drill into the column cover or the side of the wheel?

2. From what I read half an hour is long enough from disconnecting Battery to start poking about safely anywhere near an airbag?

3. I notice people talking about adding a switch on the wheel? My steering wheel only has radio controls (sr 2008 2.0 d4d) do I have to add something more than the stalk?

4. From other threads people say mpg worsens with CC as it can't read the road for hills etc and I've noticed only one person on here mention mpg which improved in their case. Just wondering if it's more a driving aid than an efficiency aid?

thanks guys. 

15 hours ago, DAF XF said:

From other threads people say mpg worsens with CC as it can't read the road for hills etc and I've noticed only one person on here mention mpg which improved in their case. Just wondering if it's more a driving aid than an efficiency aid

See the following extract from an RAC article on saving fuel:

"Does cruise control use more fuel?

Actually, yes, if you were to use it all the time. Cruise control only aids fuel economy when driving on a constant flat surface, hence why it is usually good for motorway driving.

One of the keys to saving fuel is driving at a constant speed, cruise control can do this effectively on flat surfaces, making your driving is as fuel efficient as possible by negating unnecessary acceleration.

However, if you were to use your cruise control regularly, not on flat roads, you would encounter problems that would increase your fuel consumption.

This is because your cruise control would be slower to react to gradient changes, meaning when reaching the brow of a hill - at which point you would normally take your foot off the accelerator to maintain more of a constant speed when descending - your cruise control will keep the power on for a little longer, unable to see the gradient change in front.

Driving in this way regularly would accumulate to an increased fuel consumption."

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DAF XF said:

I take it this is the segment that needs drilled?

38469EA2-986B-43EE-B010-37515EB8D6F3.jpeg

It looks like ..but to be sure ...first open the drive wheel ( remove airbag etc ) to see the place where the cruise should be installed and after drill. 

Hy there, i just tried on my Auris 1.4 d4d, 1nd-tv engine, but it doesen't work!...:(

1.4D4D has a Bosch edc16 ECU and it's not able to have C control.

Answer is for 2006 corola, but i guess same engine = same setup.

source http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/299894-diy-aftermarket-cruise-control-install-8.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2017 at 10:42 PM, Gerg said:

The Toyota cruise control stalk (part no.84632 - 34011) sends information to the controller in the car via an arrangement of 3 resistors.

Instead of using a dedicated controller inside the stalk (as I had wondered), it just places one of the resistors across the two wires when a particular function is requested.  This gives the resume, set and cancel operations.  For the off/on button, it presents a short-circuit across the two wires you mention.

That's how it works with just two wires; the controller is looking for specific resistances, and then interprets those.

If yours doesn't work, you can simply test it (on or off the car) by measuring the resistances it presents down it's two wires when it is disconnected with, say, a digital voltmeter. The resistances used have nearly equal steps, if I remember correctly, maybe 150 ohms, 450 ohms and 750 ohms, or near there!

The part number I used on a 2013 Auris HSD was 84632 - 34011, but I thought that when I bought it (14 months ago), an 84632-0F010 was compatible.

Here is one I dismantled earlier:-

P1060998.JPG

P1070001.JPG

I checked resistances everything looks okay. I just found, that it was connected to wrong socket. So I connected to correct one, but seems like it still does not work. I was at car service they checked it with diagnostic, but they did not found any error. They suggested to check this next time, but seems like could be something wrong with wirings. Maybe do you know, that I can check my self?

follow the video below

i am sure that on the auris there is a check for the steering wheel controls not sure if this include the cruise switch

worth a try looking though.

12 hours ago, eygo said:

follow the video below

i am sure that on the auris there is a check for the steering wheel controls not sure if this include the cruise switch

worth a try looking though.

I did not found any setting for cruise control ;(

20171203_113955.jpg

20171203_113949.jpg

20171203_113945.jpg

20171203_113933.jpg

20171203_113911.jpg

20171203_113919.jpg

20171203_113800.jpg

20171203_113927.jpg

20171203_113806.jpg

20171203_113921.jpg

20171203_113822.jpg

there is one there for panel and steering switch i wasn't sure if this would check the cc stalk

the Auris is my partners so i very rarely have access to it ,what i have said is from memory and not from

trying it on the car now,the last time i used this menu was in the beginning of this year

On 12/2/2017 at 9:15 PM, Tomas B said:

I checked resistances everything looks okay. I just found, that it was connected to wrong socket. So I connected to correct one, but seems like it still does not work. I was at car service they checked it with diagnostic, but they did not found any error. They suggested to check this next time, but seems like could be something wrong with wirings. Maybe do you know, that I can check my self?

This cruise control seems like it should all be working already, so, an odd question:-

When you were checking the control stalk with a meter, did you get a zero ohms reading when the on/off button is pressed?  If this part of the cruise control is not enabling the cruise control function, then the other buttons will do nothing. 

You are probably already familiar with the cruise function, but, just in case you are not familiar with it on an Auris:-

When the car is ready to drive, pressing the button on the end of the stalk will cause a green speedometer icon to light continuously on the dash. The other functions of the wand are then available.  If the button is pressed again the speedometer icon goes off and the cruise function is disabled.

The on/off contacts are separate from the other three switches and are accessed through a plastic panel on the back of the stalk, after a single small philips screw has been removed.  If no one has disturbed these then I doubt they would fail, but if this has been dismantled then the contacts may have got slightly bent??

I would try to measure the ohms resistance first (0 - 4 ohms should be OK). This switch is unlikely to get damaged without someone inspecting it.  It is a momentary-action switch with exposed wiping contacts, if that is of any interest.

• 2 months later...

Hello i have toyota auris 2007 model manual 1.6 and i want to install cruise control.I read all the article that you write and i found out that my car have not have the clips for the cruise control at the steering wheel but olso the port exist and to the panel the figure exist also.So should i buy the kit or is a waste of time?

I also have 2007 with 1.6 petrol engine, with cruise control. Probably if you just connect cruise control like shown on page 1, it will work. You can probably buy the part used from some car that is being sold as parts.

On 04/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, Gerg said:

This cruise control seems like it should all be working already, so, an odd question:-

When you were checking the control stalk with a meter, did you get a zero ohms reading when the on/off button is pressed?  If this part of the cruise control is not enabling the cruise control function, then the other buttons will do nothing. 

You are probably already familiar with the cruise function, but, just in case you are not familiar with it on an Auris:-

When the car is ready to drive, pressing the button on the end of the stalk will cause a green speedometer icon to light continuously on the dash. The other functions of the wand are then available.  If the button is pressed again the speedometer icon goes off and the cruise function is disabled.

The on/off contacts are separate from the other three switches and are accessed through a plastic panel on the back of the stalk, after a single small philips screw has been removed.  If no one has disturbed these then I doubt they would fail, but if this has been dismantled then the contacts may have got slightly bent??

I would try to measure the ohms resistance first (0 - 4 ohms should be OK). This switch is unlikely to get damaged without someone inspecting it.  It is a momentary-action switch with exposed wiping contacts, if that is of any interest.

I checked everything resistance looks okay. All buttons reacting in press (resistance changes). Cleaned on/of button because it was very oily, but still no result. Seems like issue with car wirings.

The oil/light grease is often used to prevent/slow down the creation of patina, especially on dials. From what i was told, should not be removed

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I’ve flicked through this very useful thread but I’m still unsure if I can fit cruise to my 2018 Auris HSD Icon Tourer? Can anyone let me know if the methods suggested in the thread work on the most recent models?

Thanks!

Hello,

I just mounted cruise cruise control on my Auris Hybrid 2015. When car is on P and I press cruise control switch I see green cruise control sign on display on dashbooard. I was so happy, but when car start moving it's one beep and I see "check Cruise Control System" 😞 do you know what can be wrong, or I just have connect my car to computer to enable cruise control? I did the same like on manual on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLyRH5eSpps

toyota.png

IMG_20180728_103456.jpg

IMG_20180728_103054.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 9:19 AM, ziko234 said:

I was so happy, but when car start moving it's one beep and I see "check Cruise Control System" 😞

@ziko234, were you able to find a solution to this problem?

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, ziko234 said:

Hello,

I just mounted cruise cruise control on my Auris Hybrid 2015. When car is on P and I press cruise control switch I see green cruise control sign on display on dashbooard. I was so happy, but when car start moving it's one beep and I see "check Cruise Control System" 😞 do you know what can be wrong, or I just have connect my car to computer to enable cruise control? I did the same like on manual on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLyRH5eSpps

toyota.png

IMG_20180728_103456.jpg

IMG_20180728_103054.jpg

have you checked that all of your cruise control wires are wired?

I appear to have the hatch on the steering wheel on my 2015 Auris tourer  Active . Its the facelift model with the 1.4 d4d engine. Does anyone know if the Cruise control fix will fit and work

auris wheel.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

I'm a new owner of the 2019 Corolla 1.33 Terra and I have a question regarding cruise control retrofit on this model.

I've been researching the subject for a while now and for what I read on this and other forums just the CC stalk (switch) won't work on this particular model. But I kept digging dipper and reading through some Turkish forums (with the help of Google Translate). Members there have successfully retrofitted their 1.33 models with CC by just adding the cheap CC switch.

I need to point out that this particular Corolla is Turkish-made (unfortunatlly, but that’s another subject).

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter? Or better yet, conformation? Is it possible that Turkish made Corollas can in fact be pre-wired for CC and their ECU programmed?

Many thanks

Presumably you have the 2013-2019 Corolla saloon that has just been replaced by the new 2019 Corolla?

If so, this version of the Corolla was not sold in the UK.

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably you have the 2013-2019 Corolla saloon that has just been replaced by the new 2019 Corolla?

If so, this version of the Corolla was not sold in the UK.

You are correct, this is the one. 
I was not aware that this model was not sold there, thanks for pointing it out. 
Is it safe to assume the internal of 1.33 Auris and this Corolla are more or less the same? Or are they totally different? 

That would explain the Turkish forum findings. 

Thanks