Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Speed_Chaser

Just now, Slasher_uk said:

From what I understand they all can even though Toyota say they can't 

Many Thanks, I'm not a mechanic, do you think I should attempt to fit it myself or get someone form this forum to do it for me?

That is exactly my position at the moment, it's the airbag that scares me.

I'm going to ask the local Toyota garage for a quote. I guess if we disconnect the Battery, the airbags should be OK. Hope fully someone will see our exchange and offer some help.

Think the only Auris that cannot be fitted with cruise is the 1.33.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys inform your insurance company of the mod or is it not necessary.

You should inform them of any change to the spec of your car.

It could effect any claim you make, but there would an assessor checking out the car after say an accident really check if a cruise control in standard fitment on your model.

Doubt it.   I have cruise control as standard on my Auris  . if you live in a country say like Australia with long straight roads and lighter traffic than here in the UK then cruise control is very handy, but UK roads are not  ideal because when you catch up to traffic on say a motorway you have to deactivate the cruise by breaking or switching it off. The downside is also when reset the control to its original speed setting the car accelerate  hard to get back to the original speed set. when in use I get the feeling that I have not got complete control sometimes, ive discussed this with others who have this fitted on there cars and that is a common complaint.

Only time I use it now is to check its working ok

I doubt many people use their cruise control on the M5.

What I would like to have though is the max speed control,.there is a  symbol on the dash board already, but the operating controls are not on my steering whee,l so it could be an expensive mod.if it was possible to do.

If you put in cruise control and then tell the insurance company will they assume that it is a genuine Toyota part or are you allowed to use one of another manufacturer that fits the auris?

is this something that would make a difference?

the insurance more than likely ask who fitted it,  and if you say you did it yourself you may have problems best not say anything and if asked at a later date then say it was already in the car when purchased.

hey guys :)

sorry english is not my first language (i am from austria) i hope you understand me.

my girlfriend bought a auris first generation but with facelift. its from 2011 with the 1nr-fe start&stop motor. is it possible that only the CC switch with the cable will work?

technically are you fitting cruise control as the cruise control system & software is tried and

tested and is already an oem fitment all you have done is to add a switch so the cruise control

is either on or off there is not alot to go wrong with a switch.

yes, in my avensis from 2009 with cvt it works great (without the led in the dashboard)

but i heard the ecu cant controll the gas/CC... now im not sure. maybe someone with the 1.33 petrol machine know a little bit more ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I've ordered the stalk and cable from Amazon and it should take a few days to get here. As I natural born worrier what problems could the Battery disconnection give me i.e. Keys no longer being recognise. Obviously I don't touch the hybrid Battery as it would hurt quite a bit lol.

look in the handbook you will lose radio settings ,clock, fuel consumption and maybe have to reset your electric windows

which is easy to do so dont be concerned about it.

disconnect the Battery then leave for 20 minutes before disconnecting the airbag from the steering wheel

5 minutes later your done.

Excuse my ignorance but what would you have to reset on electric windows

sometimes the auto function stops working so you have to put the window fully up and keep the switch

pressed for a few seconds then fully down and again hold the switch for a few seconds

i think this is to set the closed and open position

If the windows are completely closed before disconnecting Battery, you won't need to reset them.

Ok it took the whole of 20 minutes to complete and works perfectly and I would like to thank you all for your help. 

well worth spending the time to install the switch,we bought our switch off eBay it cost £13 i think

and a very small amount of time to complete.,i just wish that CC would work at 20mph as there

are so many 20 mph zones now,does anyone know the reason why CC works from 25 mph.

I paid £20, the annoying thing is Toyota say it definitely can't be done. I just need to get the cover now.

when you say toyota i take it you are talking about the dealership

i had the same when i had my Ct200h lexus liverpool said it definately

cannot be done ,yet lexus chester said when do you want it fitting,

it just goes to show the dealers dont know everythink.

Both my local Toyota dealer who I bought the car off of and Toyota themselves said so.

But anyway it's done now I just need to buy the cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all this is a superb thread but I'm a bit confused...can this only be done to the UK automatic? The Mark 2 Auris (2013) "ICON +" 1.33 manual model has cruise control fitted as standard so I assume you can fit to the 1.33 ICON manual? BUT for the manual do you need the clutch switch or is it already all there and it is just the steering wheel stalk that is required? Most of the talk has been around the CVT and I couldn't see anyone specifically talk about the manual.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links