Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

03 Camry 2l Vvti Bad Idle

elted

Hi, I have a 03 Camry with the Avensis 2L VVTi engine (Import from Singapore), it has been running great for the last year or so, however, I needed to change the Battery last week. After it was fitted, the car wouldn't idle at all. The guy who fitted it said that the ECU had been reset due to the disconnected Battery, and it would fix itself, I have no idea if this is true or not. But the car run's fine, except when it's idling.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 03 Camry with the Avensis 2L VVTi engine (Import from Singapore), it has been running great for the last year or so, however, I needed to change the battery last week. After it was fitted, the car wouldn't idle at all. The guy who fitted it said that the ECU had been reset due to the disconnected battery, and it would fix itself, I have no idea if this is true or not. But the car run's fine, except when it's idling.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hello again,

I've decided to answer my own question, in case anyone else ever has this problem. It is quite a simple fix.

Apparently when the Battery is disconnected, the throttle snaps bact to a position that it does not usually go to. If there is any dirt in there, then the throttle can stick. (I dont really understand any of this but the Toyota mechanic I spoke to assured me this was the case??)

I was told to remove the air intake pipe at the throttle body, and to spray carb cleaner inside, while lifting the air intake flap. Which I did myself :D

Amazingly this worked. revs went from a rough 330, to a nice smooth 670. :) No more embarassing stalls at traffic lights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links