Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Gearbox Is A Bit Too Automatic/oil Consumption

katla

I recently bought a 2003 model Avensis with automatic gear. When driving the car back from the seller I experienced once that the automatic gear seemed to change down/up while I attempted to drive by a car doing 80 km/H. I discussed it with a friend and since this was in an area where there could be ice on the road here and there - I dismissed it.

Just before I went on my holidays I had to change a lightbulb and then I also checked the oil. I ended up having to fill 3 ltrs of oil to get to the maximum mark. During my holidays - I noticed an oil consumption of 1 liter/4000 km. I also noticed that during the holiday - I got quite a few times trouble with the gear changing down/up/down/up during acceleration when driving by a car going 80 km an hour or more. This became such a problem that I decided to try to change gears manually - but this problem also occurred then. Its quite frightening when you are doing 100km/h or more - in the wrong lane during a driveby - and then the automatic decides to change gear up/down/up/down/up in a very abrupt way which scares both the driver and passengers... There is quite a noise when this happens at it sounds like the gearbox is going to pieces. So I ended up with never driving past another car - and the trip from my vacation house was 1600 km (on Norwegian roads that are not exactly highways).

I therefore contacted the local Toyota garage to have them check/fix this problem and at the same time service the car. They did however not put too much into checking the automatic gear and the problems persists and they have given me another appointment in a months time..

My questions now are:

- Does anyone else have experienced such behaviour from the automatic gear?

- An oil consumption of 1 liter in 4000 km seem to me and all I have spoken to a bit obsessive (well - the Toyota garage does not think this too much) - and after 25 years of car ownership with 3 other cars (citroen and opel/vauxhall) I have never had to fill any oil whatoever. What do you think - is this amount of oil consumption OK or not? The previous owner did not have any problem so it seems that the problem is quite recent. its also a bit strange that there was no oil lamp on the dashboard when the engine lacked 3 ltrs..

Automatic transmission issue: 100% normal, torque converter lock-up clutch locking itself at about 75 km/h:

- http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=267792

Motor oil consumption issue: it looks normal, as on my Avensis II owner's manual the maximum motor oil consumption is 1 liter every 1000 km.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links