Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slick Install Pics

TheDon

ok a i have been to a few car install places and have settled on some alpine 8" subs. they require about 150w Rms and can take up to 350w.

i have all the displacement figures and they are extremely shallow. he has used them before on installs in an mr2 and says that they initialy tried 10" subs and found them a little too much, plus the 8" can cope better with pumping music. a pair will set you back about £120-£140 which isnt too bad. i will give all the specs of the speaker when i have the booklet to hand. just need my car now to get some damn measurements.

also does anyone have a quick conversion from litre capagity to cubic ft? cheers guys. as im racking my brains doing servere maths to get to there and i gotta go round the world to get them to convert into each other. :censor:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDon

• Bibbs

• Jimlad

• nick_mcuk

ok well i got myself a great conversion programme. it will covert absolutely anything

Conversion programe (free)

on this basis i have been able to covert the litre displacement of the Pioneer TS-W203F

The litre displacement is 9.74 litres and i converted that to 0.343 cu ft.

after queerying my speaker box building programme it has given me these initial dimensions (and damn the boxes are gonna be nice and small!

Width:- 28cm

Height:- 28cm

Depth:- 12.4cm

now these are the internal dimensions and i will probably use 15 or 18mm mdf.

the width would increase to the following

with 15mm mdf:-

Width:- 31cm

Height:- 31cm

Depth:- 15.4cm

with 18mm mdf:-

Width:- 31.6cm

Height:- 31.6cm

Depth:- 16cm

now i need a kind soul to tell me if that is too big in any particular dimension. also this is just a start for a basic square box. no tapered faces yet as that requires a litttle bit more thinking.

the dims of the speaker are as follows:-

Diameter :- 216mm

depth :- 104mm

Mounting hole dia :- 186mm

hope this helps some

1012233208214ts-w203f-c_detailpage.jpg

Pioneer sub specs

here is the sub its self. jsut for the image concious.

could someone please take a tape measure to their car and get me the width of the space between the inside panel and the centre dividing wall (i.e maximum width) and also the depth from back firewall to back of seat in its furthest back position. also if the height of 31cm will be too much for the curvature of the tbar glass? i want them to fit in the same way as shaun m's sub box (see pic at beggining of post)

this way i can make ammendments to the design

As said before, I have a drivers side autoacostics 10" if anyone wants it, Im not overly happy as I have my seat back and reclined to the max :) (and this stops it a bit)

are you gonna change it for a smaller one then or just getting rid of it totaly?

Im just going to have a 10" passenger side, so just getting rid :)

if you're free i can bring my mr2 down and you can have a good look at it then, im only in maidstone so you arent far away from me at all. let me know what you think. james. by the way if these boxes work out i'l definately be interested, ive just started sorting my install out, got a nice alpine unit waiting to go in and an alpine v12 amp waiting. so next is the subs.

alpine unit waiting to go in and an alpine v12 amp waiting

That's the way to do it .. none of this cheap Sony rubbish :thumbsup:

1012233208214ts-w203f-c_detailpage.jpg

Pioneer sub specs

here is the sub its self. jsut for the image concious.

could someone please take a tape measure to their car and get me the width of the space between the inside panel and the centre dividing wall (i.e maximum width) and also the depth from back firewall to back of seat in its furthest back position. also if the height of 31cm will be too much for the curvature of the tbar glass? i want them to fit in the same way as shaun m's sub box (see pic at beggining of post)

this way i can make ammendments to the design

Cool...I have two of the TS-W254F one's in 10" sitting at home waiting to be put in the 2!! Mmmmmm...vccs :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

That's the way to do it .. none of this cheap Sony rubbish :thumbsup:

yeah i love alpine stuff you cant beat it. looking for two subs to go in now i want an all alpine install, i know loads of people that have all the sony xplod ******* and all they do is moan to me about how they've had to take it back and get it replaced cos it either goes wrong or blows up.

that would be great dude, if you can pop down. i will sens you an pm with phone numer and address if you want now. jsut text or call. i have a V12 amp too!

they are great. best thing about having the 8" subs is that you will never have to push the amp to its limit!

also do people want me to design boxes for a 10" sub too?

10's would be very nice ..

How are you designing them ? A wedge box to sit on the boxes behind the seats ?

well i can design them any way you want. like i said before i wrote a mathmatcal programe that you set the max and minium dimensions and the size of the sub. give it a displacement value and it will calculate the dimensions of the box for you. it also has a query box where you can change the values of the dimensions and it will tell you if its ok or not!

quite simple realy. this way i can design any box in any way.

then i transfer the dimensions to my head then to the computer. I use autocad to design the box to the nearest milimeter (lol) not that you can cut that accurate.

i am going to create a slanted box if i cant make it small enough. the box may also have cosmetic features as i found some thin flexi mdf in my local B&Q.

*bling ..

*hand .. I'll have one ..

I'd also think two banana plugs built in so you can wire in the sub and then just plug the wires into the front would be good .. easy to remove for Pod ..

Or at JAE, all tune into the same radio station and put the subs outside the cars ..

yeah will definately having outer plugs on the boxes. that way you can either feed the wire in and do up the captive nuts or put in banana plugs. i have always found banana plugs to be problematic for sound qualiy when your bouncing over bumps! lol.

it seems like im gonna have to see if i can make a few of these puppies! im also going to work on a speare wheel covering amp rack. but that will come a bit later on!

im going to try and reduce the thickness of the boxes again, i want it to be about 120mm. that way it will be a lot easier to get in and make it look good!

im also going to work on a speare wheel covering amp rack. but that will come a bit later on!

*hand

but please please PLEASE - make it big enough for an Xbox :thumbsup:

well it certainly will be feasable to fit an xbox onto the cover. maybe we could arange a day for you to pop down and we will build it there and then!! so its perfect. will have to find a way of making it weather proof should water drip on it!

defo .. when would be good to pop down? When the weather gets a bit better?

yeah, it will probably be lot easier if its warm or at least drt as with something like that there will be a lot of trial and error!

Was just thinking about building a sub box......and then stumble upon this thread, spooky :)

Being the exact opposite of jimlad (if someone else can do it, i dont see why i cant do it and save myself loadsa money!) id prefer to build it meself, but if your getting perfect dimensions together that would be better than my trial and error method!

Was thinking of just using one sub behind the passenger seat as i like other on here like to have my seat quite laid back and dont think id fit a box behind it, would this sound ok do you recon or a bit one sided?

Having said that i wonder if the 12" sub i have would shoe horn in behind the seat :ph34r: .....might have to give that a go...

eep up the good work :thumbsup:

A 12" sub would totaly swamp the car if you ask me. i used to have 1 x 12" kenwood in the boot of my rover 600 turbo and it was damn bassy. plus they need a much larger and deeper box. i would maybe go for a 10" over a 12" in the mr2. but as you can see from the size of the box (12cm deep at its maximum thickness) it may still be possible to have two boxes behind the seat. might even be able to work in a double sub box just for the passenger side! anythings possible i suppose!

ok, im working a little bit blind until i get my hands on an mr2. i have been able to make the box even slimmer. here it is at

430mm wide x 280mm high x 130mm deep and that is using 15mm mdf which i think will be thick enough as these are not spl subs. we just want it to sound good not blow out our intestines!

8_inch_sub_box_430x280x130.jpg

could someone guestimate if that will be too wide. you see to get it thinner we have to spread it further. and im trying to keep it as low as possible to facilitae any potential amp mounting above the sub as im planning on doing.

also i am going to start designing a slanted version once i have my car. construction should be nice and simple especialy as my local homebase has one of those giant wall mounted saws to cut the mdf for me! then its just a case of jigsawing it to get the sub in!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links