Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cam Belt Change On A 1.0 Yaris...

RickT

Hi,

First of all i would just like to introduce myself, im Rick drive an Audi A4 and have a MK5 golf as the second car.... before you all "boo" me for been a VAG owner :o lol.... i will try to justify it... :-) i am a moderator over on a VW Audi Forum and have a real passion for any thing with 4 wheels....

Anyway... moving aside... The reason im here..

My mother has a yaris 1.0, on an X plate (2000), its just a second/thrid/forth car that lives in the garage to be honest...... it does not get used at all and has only 12k miles on it from purchased from new..... it's worth more as a car than anything else due to the price of second hand cars these days of this age, hence why it lives in the garage waiting to be used to go to the supermarket or pick another family member up if require as there is 3 other cars in the household... (if anything.. it does look nice.. on the factory fitted "sport" pack with alloys and a rear boot spoiler... :-)

"The Question"

Was talking to my dad the other day and i mentioned to him... when did the Yaris have a last service and has the cam belt been changed..... the reply was... well the service was around 2 years ago at 10k miles.. and cam belt never done.....

Instantly alarm bells start ringing for me.... a car which has not had a cam belt in 8 years???

Over on the "VAG scene" the cam belts should be changed every 60k miles or 4 years, which is ever first..

So the real question is, when should the cam belt be changed on this car? (1.0 l ) and do you advise any companies who could supply parts for this at what cost??

Im more than willing to do the cam belt my self im conjunction with a mate, but first of all i need to do some research on "how to guides" do it and what parts are recommended.

I know nothing at all about these engines so any help will be greatly appreciated..

Final questions... Is the water pump on these driven via the cam belt? if so.. does these use plastic impellers? and should this be changed at the same time....??

Hopefully you will be able to help me.....

Cheers

Rick

Hi,

First of all i would just like to introduce myself, im Rick drive an Audi A4 and have a MK5 golf as the second car.... before you all "boo" me for been a VAG owner :o lol.... i will try to justify it... :-) i am a moderator over on a VW Audi Forum and have a real passion for any thing with 4 wheels....

Anyway... moving aside... The reason im here..

My mother has a yaris 1.0, on an X plate (2000), its just a second/thrid/forth car that lives in the garage to be honest...... it does not get used at all and has only 12k miles on it from purchased from new..... it's worth more as a car than anything else due to the price of second hand cars these days of this age, hence why it lives in the garage waiting to be used to go to the supermarket or pick another family member up if require as there is 3 other cars in the household... (if anything.. it does look nice.. on the factory fitted "sport" pack with alloys and a rear boot spoiler... :-)

"The Question"

Was talking to my dad the other day and i mentioned to him... when did the Yaris have a last service and has the cam belt been changed..... the reply was... well the service was around 2 years ago at 10k miles.. and cam belt never done.....

Instantly alarm bells start ringing for me.... a car which has not had a cam belt in 8 years???

Over on the "VAG scene" the cam belts should be changed every 60k miles or 4 years, which is ever first..

So the real question is, when should the cam belt be changed on this car? (1.0 l ) and do you advise any companies who could supply parts for this at what cost??

Im more than willing to do the cam belt my self im conjunction with a mate, but first of all i need to do some research on "how to guides" do it and what parts are recommended.

I know nothing at all about these engines so any help will be greatly appreciated..

Final questions... Is the water pump on these driven via the cam belt? if so.. does these use plastic impellers? and should this be changed at the same time....??

Hopefully you will be able to help me.....

Cheers

Rick

Worry not :thumbsup:

The Yaris does not have a Cam-Belt It has a cam chain and is virtually unbreakable

If I remember correctly Toyota call for an Audible check for wear at 80,000 miles and an adjustment if required.

You are talking about Toyota engineering here.......................not Audi. :lol:

Worry not :thumbsup:

The Yaris does not have a Cam-Belt It has a cam chain and is virtually unbreakable

If I remember correctly Toyota call for an Audible check for wear at 80,000 miles and an adjustment if required.

You are talking about Toyota engineering here.......................not Audi. :lol:

Thats great news, Thanks for the information.

In regards to the engineering....... :P

Cheers

Rick

Water pumps are driven by the auxillary belt and have metal impellors.

They are prone to leaking (not at the gasket but from the pump itself) - just take a good look from underneath the pump and look for the usual dry coolant tracks.

Mart.

• 12 years later...

Would this be the same for the 2002 1l yaris? Just in case they threw a curve ball lol

As it's a chain and not a belt, it requires regular oil changes, as the chain is expensive to change and not for most weekend DIY spanners. If used for mostly short journeys think about reducing the time between changes, don't let the oil get too dirty or 'sludgy'.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links