Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crunching 2nd Gear!

bladed

:crybaby:

Bought an MR" last week after lusting after one for years... i've noticed on rapid changes the gearbox will sometimes crunch in 2nd and sometimes 3rd which seems to point to syncromesh problems. I've been advised to change gearbox oil for Redline mt90 but i think this is just masking the problem. Is there anything else i can try before removing the gearbox???? Also does anyone know decent leather repairer who can sort out drivers seat...dont mind travelling.

Are there any decent Mr2 breakers where i could pick up a few bits and pieces to sort the car out...foglight, ashtray, gearknob.

HELP!!!

My gearbox is quite clunky... it's annoying !

Supposedly that's the way they are.... not as bad as yours tho by the sounds of it. My car has only done 36K miles.. so surely it cant be the gearbox. I'm gonna get some redline gearbox oil and see if that soothes it.

Add redline - as you say .. It'll only mask the problem.

To re-con the box is about £600 .. 2nd hand (that may have the same problems) are about £400 ..

If you are running more power than stock the life time of a G'box will be less ..

I'd also be tepmted to try and source a 6 speed .. I know there are a few Jap companies who make them .. maybe speak to Jase @ MTTE.

My old NA was very crunchy .. I sold it and 3 months later the whole thing packed up ..

I'd love a 6 speed with custom ratio's .. be better for 0-60's and top end .. be nice to sit on a motorway @ 70 doing 2000 rpm.

The syncros are a COMMON fault...not worth fixing...just get better gear box oil and you will find if you change the way you go into that gear it won't crunch. For me 5th depending on how I go into it and also going DOWN from 2nd to ist sometimes.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

guys if your rev3 + and want more in the legal limit below 140mph get a rev 2 box, lower ratios should knock 1/4 mile, 0-100 down by half a second :thumbsup:

I thought the rev1/2 boxes were more prone to failure. The later rev3+ box was basically a more heavy duty item no? (altho i can see your point on the accel side of things..the earlier boxes were lighter too.)