Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Tyres For Rav4 235/60r 16

BERIAN1

Out of all the tyres out there, any thoughts on what are rhe best for wear, petrol consumption and grip please?

Out of all the tyres out there, any thoughts on what are rhe best for wear, petrol consumption and grip please?

Back in 1994, the original fit was Dunlop.

Suppose it depends on what you intend to do??

Hello Berian1 and welcome. I've done a bit of research into this and have just renewed my tyres with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. I had a bit of trouble getting them (I ordered them in but the local dealer received some sort of Michelin Energy tyre instead, which I didn't want) and I ended up driving an hour to Armagh where I got them for £120 each, fitted - not cheap, I know, but still pretty good value for the quality of tyre. Peter White Tyres in Armagh had eight in strock (probably the total stock on the island of Ireland!!) and the service was superb - can't speak highly enough of them

Here's the spec. The Michelins are also noticeably quieter (and the do an "Alpin" for winter use, which I hope to put to the test this January) Otherwise, I have been very happy with (in order of satisfaction) the Bridgestone Dueler 687, the Yokohama Geolandar and the Toyo Tranpath A14 (which was the factory fit for my better half's 4.2 - she's now running on Bridgestones)

Don't forget to post some pictures of your new Rav4 :thumbsup:

I've got the original Toyos on -the two at the front have worn more than at the back and will need replacing soon. The three year old spare is unused -too late if I should have rotated.

So do I

buy one new Toyo and use the unused spare on the front (I'll keep the least worn of the front for the spare)

buy two (say) Michelin Latitude Tour HP for the front so that the spare remains unused , in the knowlege that you shouldn't really use any tyre after 6 years?

I suppose I'm asking if the Toyos are ok or if I'm really missing out by not having another brand

Depending on the mileage you expect to do, I'd be tempted to buy one Toyo, bring the unused spare into use, and put the best of the worn ones onto the spare. IIRC, Hoovie identified that the new ones should go on the rear of the car.

Found it

I have mounted, and like it very much, GENERAL GRABBER UHP:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Grabber+UHP

Very Good Reviews and not expensive....would mount them again !

I have them too :-D

Really nice. A little bit noisy, but handles very well. Not much wear, handles great in rain, looks good.

I would definately buy them again.

Back in 1994, the original fit was Dunlop.

Suppose it depends on what you intend to do??

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am also looking at putting Grabber UHP tyres on, question being if i am changing all 4 is there a reason i cant go to 235/70/16..?

None that I'm aware of, but please ask the supplier to make sure you're comfortable

Here's a useful site, you'll be able to compare tyre sizes with the 215's

Hi,

I am also looking at putting Grabber UHP tyres on, question being if i am changing all 4 is there a reason i cant go to 235/70/16..?

you will be increasing the rolling diameter, so the end gearing will be different.

Speedo will read different, odometer will read different, acceleration will be reduced, MPG should be better.

apart from that, no reason ;)

Just looked at the link robert posted - if your speedo is out the same as mine, switching from 60 to 70 profile tyres will make the speedo spot on :D

Most on here have moved onto General Grabber UHP's... best for wear and mpg...slightly noiser than some but good grip in the wet.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback.

In the end, after a lot of research and review readings, I have bought Continental Cross Contact UHP which weren't cheap but I did get a good deal, £400 for the four all in.

I notice that the car runs a lot quiter than the Bridgestoine Dueller that I had before. I just hope I get good mileage, I got 36,000 out of the Bridgestones.

Thanks for the feedback.

In the end, after a lot of research and review readings, I have bought Continental Cross Contact UHP which weren't cheap but I did get a good deal, £400 for the four all in.

I notice that the car runs a lot quiter than the Bridgestoine Dueller that I had before. I just hope I get good mileage, I got 36,000 out of the Bridgestones.

FYI - did you know that General Tyres are a Trading Name of Continental ;)

Continentals are great tyres - I bought a complete set of Conti Contact2's for our Punto Sporting a couple of months ago, and when I had a Nissan 200SX I replaced the OEM tyres with Conti Contacts and they totally transformed the car :thumbsup:

Another question,

I live in the country and also use the truck to take the quad to events etc, but my Mrs uses the car during the week for work doing around 40 mls aday.

Question being AT or SUV? are the AT alot louder and offer less grip on the road.. used to have AT on the Pajero but that was not so road refined as the RAV..

I will make my mind up soon, i promise :unsure:

There is not a great compromise situation I don't think. When I hade my HR-V, I had a set of M+S tyres and they were not great on the road at all due to their tread pattern - big blocks that help with muddy conditions are not condusive to working well in fast road driving :eek:

personally, I think the tyre pattern of the General Grabbers, although described as a UHP tyre, is closer to an off-road tyre then most other common ones you see fitted.

Just my opinion :D

Just looked at the link robert posted - if your speedo is out the same as mine, switching from 60 to 70 profile tyres will make the speedo spot on :D

Has anyone fitted 70 profile 235/16

I know from my Toyota days on full lock the old rav was very close to touching the body even with thicker Pirelli Scorpian's on 215/70

Dont want to comit to 4 tyres to find they rub, But they area cheaper and an extra inch ground clearence

Agree ref speedo, according to sat Nav my speedo under reads by about 5mph at 50

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links