Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying My First Supra

SALEEN S7R

This weekend I will be looking at buying my first ever Toyota Supra. The car is a 1989 MK3 Automatic 3.0ltr turbo Supra. What I would like help with is specs, Ive been searching the net for 0-60 and top speed times for the car, but as of yet have only been able to find them for the Manual version, which as far as I have read is 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and a top speed of 150mph. Now Im thinking that as the car Im looking at buying is a Automatic it will be at least 1 second slower, correct? Is the 3.0ltr turbo Automatic any good? Just the specs Ive found at www.supercars.net arent very good for the MK3, but then supercars.net arent always accurate.

Basically id just like any advice anyone can give me as to getting this car, if im right and am thinking the Automatic will do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds id be better off with a VW Golf GTi, woudnt i? Thanks. :)

i have a mk3 turbo auto 1992

0-60 is about 7.5 roughly.top speed is 140.

The auto is a bit slower but you got to remember you will be tuning a 3ltr turbo and the gains will be much more than on a gti

i have a mk3 turbo auto 1992

0-60 is about 7.5 roughly.top speed is 140.

The auto is a bit slower but you got to remember you will be tuning a 3ltr turbo and the gains will be much more than on a gti

Thanks Dean, yeah I do intend to modify the car, although dont really know much about the mechanical side of cars so I will have to learn as I go so to speak. Also have a limited budget so wont be able to spend mega bucks, probably not more than £1k this year. :( Thanks for the response, I dunno I just think my expectations were a bit too high for this car, just when u see it u think it will beat the pants off most cars like a VW Golf GTi and 2.0ltr turbo Calibra's, mainly because it has what? 200bhp at the Wheels? I know it has 240bhp at crank but normally minus 20%, ah well looks like it will take some tuning. ;)

Still better than the current car I own, a Nissan Bluebird 1.8, although having said that the car isnt THAT slow Ive seen 112mph on the clock before from it, not bad for a Bluebird. Thanks again for the quick response. :)

dont let the 0-60 time put you off.It can be tuned to 280bhp with ease.It will beat any golf gti.The calibra turbo not to 60 but i think it maybe does to 1/4 mile.Could be wrong

the 0-60 is about right for stock, but its 150mph + top speed.

Power of stock is 232bhp, at bpu levels is around 280bhp, which takes the 0-60 down to around 6.4 secs. The supra is a Grand Tourer, not a balls out 1/4 miler. GTI and Calibra as competition.............I dont think so ;) :D

with a slight mod or two (free flow exhaust, 5p washers under the wastegate) you'll be laughing the GTI's off no problem... over 80 and youre waving goodbye.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, but after thinking about things, mainly my financial situation ive decided to go for another car, which on paper has better performance than the Automatic supra (thats only what I have found on the net) and is cheaper to insure. That is the Vauxall senator CDI, one day Ill get a Supra but not now, chances are the car wont be too good for only £1,100, so tommorow im looking at a good Senator for £775.

Thanks again for the posts.

You would be surprised at the senator. Ok, its a lardy barge and its from GM but that 6 pot in 24 valve form is one hell of a beast. Not as good as as a Supra or a Vertex though. :P

• 2 weeks later...

ace thread im looking to buy a supra after i have finished putting my nissan 200sx together this week i brought the 200 thinking tuning parts would be easy to get but there not that good yes i know they got loads at high price but im wondering anyone got any tips where to buy supra goodies from im getting the 3.0 twin turbo manual and what r they like on the rust side?