Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Gt (6th Gen)

D0ughnut

Well ive got my heart set on one, but is there an "Import" model and if so whats so different?

Insurance company want an extra £1000 to insure an "Import" version. Infact they say its more expensive to insure a Import GT than a UK GT4...

Wtf is special about the Import GT? WRC edition came to mind, but surely thats marked as a GT4?

Cheers, i tried to read the guides but received an error message.

churchills ,. norwich union and others insure imports as uk version , because they know its the same car and parts are available in the uk , other insurers seem to think spares will need to be shipped into the uk from japan on a slow boat , i had my jap gt4 insured with norwich union for only £ 326 which worked out cheaper than the uk gt i had before that , because the gt4 has 4 wd and abs its considered a safer car - try the said companies for quotes on the uk gt , jap ss2 and both uk and jap gt4's see what they say before you buy .

I'm with direct line and it costs me £20.00 per month full comp & breakdown home rescue...(Celica ss-2)...... But I have had 2 cars with them for years and only ever claimed for a side window for the Avensis. But worth a try....... ;)

I'm with direct line and it costs me £20.00 per month full comp & breakdown home rescue...(Celica ss-2)...... But I have had 2 cars with them for years and only ever claimed for a side window for the Avensis. But worth a try....... ;)

Cheers guy but what I want to know is what's the difference with imports if any so I can stay clear of these for insurance purposes :)

There are loads of subtle differences but none that really affect performance or any that will change your life on a daily basis. There are pros and cons to each. This has been discussed to death many times.

Examples of factory differences include specs such as air con and sunroofs, some of the interior switch gear and steering wheel etc. and the ECU's tune which is mapped for different RON fuels.

If you really want to know differences there are many people here that could give you a precise list as long as your leg!

Cheers guy but what I want to know is what's the difference with imports if any so I can stay clear of these for insurance purposes :)

I'm sorry, But to honest I really don't know enough about these models to advise. So much so that when I bought mine I didn't even realise it was an Import.... But I've learnt now that a quick glance will tell you, and that is the front foglights are in a different place on the Import.

Check photos', the Import has the fogs nearer the centre of the car, closer together. And indicators are usually clear type on UK version, and Fogs directly underneath the indicators. This is a general rule, I could be wrong in some instances, for which I apologise in advance.

Cheers, Bill.

post-39976-1221558288_thumb.jpg

post-39976-1221558314_thumb.jpg

its easier to check the vin number , imports have about 7 digits , uk models are something like 13 t0 17 digits long

those last 2 pics , 1st one looks like a facelift model 96-99 which is why clear indicators and fog light position , 2nd 1 is post facelift 93-96

Booster is correct. The pictures are of pre and post facelift models. These are the same regardless of import/export. The quickest visual reminder of an import is its square rear number plate.

Personally I have stuck to UK models which made finding my Four tricky. Others swear by imports. Although, I think I would look more seriously at imports if I bought another GT-Four.

Booster is correct. The pictures are of pre and post facelift models. These are the same regardless of import/export. The quickest visual reminder of an import is its square rear number plate.

Personally I have stuck to UK models which made finding my Four tricky. Others swear by imports. Although, I think I would look more seriously at imports if I bought another GT-Four.

So come on you, convince me why I should get rid of my reliable GT for a GT4!?!? Yours looks mint mate, what am I looking at paing for similar spec UK model. Im so close to doing it but need to know how much a tidy one will cost with decent history. Cheers

Oh, there we go, wrong again, :( I will learn, promise.

So just to confirm, 2nd. pic is of a newer model, (post facelift) yeah? And the Import has a square rear Number plate?

Thanks, I learn something new every day...... :)

So come on you, convince me why I should get rid of my reliable GT for a GT4!?!? Yours looks mint mate, what am I looking at paing for similar spec UK model. Im so close to doing it but need to know how much a tidy one will cost with decent history. Cheers

DRIVE A ST205 , YOU WILL SELL YOUR GT IN A WEEK - PROMISE. GO FOR A JAP IMPORT , IT WILL HAVE LESS MILES AND BE IN BETTER CONDITION - NO SALT ON JAP ROADS. TRY TO FIND A STOCK MODEL THAT AINT BEEN PLAYED WITH - FIT A BOOST CONTROLLER AND SOON ITS 300 BHP AND EYE WATERING FUN.

I know what your saying Booster but I have access to cars that would be more than a match for a 205, so wont be as blown away as most upgrading to a 4. But thats not the point, I love my GT BUT I prefer the look of the ST205, even more so than the extra 100bhp. Im not an mechanic and I always think(in my mind lol) an Import will have a bit of a grey history. Now I know you will say that the same can be said for English cars but at least I can do all the checks myself and due to the nature of my work I can generally find out if someone is trying it on(Toyota Service History). I have been umming and arghing for about 12 months now, but there is nothing stopping me getting one other than a perfectly reliable lovely looking GT. I think im being cautious as I have regretted getting rid of cars in the past and this one has never let me down. but while I have you here I may as well pick your brain.

Is a Import cheaper??

Do you know anyone reputable trader who could source me one??

How much would a 96 plate be going for in Mint standard guise????

What Colour should I go for??? (im thinking white)

How much would a boost controller set me back??? lmao

But your GT is not an ST202 is it? A lot of people make the change from a 202 GT to a 205 but for you the jump will be a big one. They are a lot older and require more attention than your Gen 7. I can't speak much for imports as I've never owned one, although I think I have been convinced of the benefits of better condition/lower mileage etc. I think you could find a mint UK 96 205 for little over £5k. My '96 was one of the last ones made for the UK market and was in good nick. I only paid £4k a year ago.

In answer to your questions, Imports will almost certainly cheaper, White can look very nice, you can get an electronic boost controller for anything from £160.

Makiwa: The 2nd picture is the older pre-facelift <95. They can also have different side skirts and spoilers. As I said, for me the most obvious visual indication of an import is the rear number plate. But the most accurate way is to check the VIN.

But your GT is not an ST202 is it? A lot of people make the change from a 202 GT to a 205 but for you the jump will be a big one. They are a lot older and require more attention than your Gen 7. I can't speak much for imports as I've never owned one, although I think I have been convinced of the benefits of better condition/lower mileage etc. I think you could find a mint UK 96 205 for little over £5k. My '96 was one of the last ones made for the UK market and was in good nick. I only paid £4k a year ago.

In answer to your questions, Imports will almost certainly cheaper, White can look very nice, you can get an electronic boost controller for anything from £160.

Makiwa: The 2nd picture is the older pre-facelift <95. They can also have different side skirts and spoilers. As I said, for me the most obvious visual indication of an import is the rear number plate. But the most accurate way is to check the VIN.

Just a quickie to say I own 2 GT's a gen 6 and 7! ;) The gen 6 is what Im thinking of getting rid of, the gen 7 is a company car.

Just a quickie to say I own 2 GT's a gen 6 and 7! ;) The gen 6 is what Im thinking of getting rid of, the gen 7 is a company car.

Save your money , keep it and acess the cars you say you have acess to . :P - SORTED .

Thanks, with it now.

Was just wondering, while we are sort of on the subject; you know like the w123 Merc was most probably one of the best built, over-engineered Mercedes ever built, is there a Toyota, (Celica) or other, that has the same sort of reputation?

Thanks again, Bill. :D

Save your money , keep it and acess the cars you say you have acess to . :P - SORTED .

Thats the worst bit of advice ever mate!!! :lol: Had a look on Autotrader and all the ones I like are well over 5k. Not one had leather mind you, which is a shame as the seat patterns are like 80's wallpaper!! lol