Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Castrol Magnetec

blackcts

Are there any issues running this oil on the 190 engines? I normally use Millers XSS and its been superb, but the trusted mechanic that does all my work says that Magnetec is the only oil that he would put into Toyotas VVTi engines, he says they don’t guzzle it as much as other brands and run happily on it. Its supposed to reduce wear at startup compared to rivals too.

I remember reading about Magnetec being a no-no in the VVTi engines ages ago. Quote

‘Castrol Magnatec can cause problems in your oil journals and oil holes in cams etc. toyota reccomend not to use this in the vvti engines in all modern toyotas as it causes the vvti controller to malfunction, thus a expensive repair.

That was from the Carina section.

Is this crap or what? I think I might just stick with the Millers or might even just buy Toyotas own brand oil.

I don’t want Fully Synthetic, just Semi as Toyota recommend.

Any suggestions?

Topped mine up with Castrol Magnatec A1 5W-30 before the trip to JAE, not noticed any probs.

:thumbsup:

Inchcape Toyota Derby / Nottingham put it in my Celica for 3 years - I'd get through a couple of litres of the stuff between services, but that didn't really cause me much grief.

Arron...like your life [should that be death?] statement!

Especially with the wet, windy roads you drive on!

I toured round Ireland [not in a T-sport...boohooo] and driving there is hairy to say the least!

I use 5w30 magnetec, car runs great on it. Using duckhams semi before that. Car likes magnetec better

I use 5w30 magnetec, car runs great on it. Using duckhams semi before that. Car likes magnetec better

Does it not guzzle 5w30 with your car having higher miles? and using the lift a lot would burn it quickly. I used 10w40 at service, the Toyota dealers I spoke to felt 5w30 was too thin for it. Uses very little 10w40

Might go with the 5w30 though, be easier on petrol and quicker id imagine...even if it has to be topped up more often

My car doesnt burn anything between services, not a drop. I dont use lift all the time. Mostly just cruising at 60, then 80 on the motorway. Only really use it I need to over take quickly.

My engine is only really 40k old, replaced at 50k by Toyota under warranty.

I was told that by the parts fella in Galway, 10w40. Lads in England all say 5w30 semi, but the 5w30 magnetec is fully anyhow.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links