Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 54 D4d Timing Belt - 60k Service

BarnyB

Hey All,

My car's in for it's 50k service next week, which also happens to be the last of my services included in the service plan (pre-paid servicing) which I got when I bought the car in 2006. The cost then was £479 for the 30k (intermediate) , 40k (full) and 50k (intermediate) services plus an MOT and 10% off parts.

I asked for a quote for a new service plan, which includes the 60k (full) and 70k (intermediate) services plus MOT and 10% off parts and it's come as £551...I asked what was in the 60k service and they said it's the timing belt. I asked how much is the 60k service on it's own and they said well it depends on if it needs a timing belt...if it does it's £517 if not then £256...

So my questions are:

a) Should I bother?

B) Will it need a timing belt? What type of timing belt does the 54 Avensis 2.0 D4D have, is it interference, non-interference, chain etc.

All advice welcome. I'm leaning towards not taking the plan out to be honest and also getting servicing done at a non-toyota garage when the 60k comes round. Thoughts on that?

Don't hesitate in fitting belt, make sure you change it (not chain drive) as part of 60,000 mile service. Your engine is an interference engine & if it goes BANG

£517 will be small fry compared to your new repair bill. No problem with changing belt at good independant garage ( go on reputation ) but do change cambelt.

Don't hesitate in fitting belt, make sure you change it (not chain drive) as part of 60,000 mile service. Your engine is an interference engine & if it goes BANG

£517 will be small fry compared to your new repair bill. No problem with changing belt at good independant garage ( go on reputation ) but do change cambelt.

As far as I am aware, there isn't a diesel engine built that is not 'interference'. This is due to the high compression ratios required by diesel engines making the piston run much closer to the valves.

Fully agree with the last entry, don't hesitate in fitting a new belt. Much cheaper in the long run.

As far as I am aware, there isn't a diesel engine built that is not 'interference'. This is due to the high compression ratios required by diesel engines making the piston run much closer to the valves.

Fully agree with the last entry, don't hesitate in fitting a new belt. Much cheaper in the long run.

Ok, thanks for that, I will definitely get the belt changed at the 60k service . As for the prices quoted...too high or as expected?

Not a particulary hard belt to change. Its just a time consuming job removing plastic covers from top & bottom of engine. All timing marks are quite easy to see, but you will need a puller tool to remove crankshaft pulley which is located via woodruff key. Also jack & axle stand to support engine when engine mount removed, oh and sorry some Loctite for pulley bolt. Should take 4 hrs or so may be more if you have not changed one before. I allways change water pump when changing belt, may seem odd but i have seen pumps start to leak after new belt fitted, but that's just the way i work. We would charge around €350 all in parts, tax & labour, you would have to convert that into Sterling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links