Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Corolla Brake Wear Question

geoffb

Hi guys,

Just got my Corolla back from service and first MoT. MoT fine but have been advised that brake pads are nearing replacement (down to 80% front/70% back wear). Also that my front discs should be replaced at the same time as the pads because of scoring. Car has done just short of 24k miles and certainly isn't driven hard.

I'd be interested to know experiences/views re:

1. whether I can expect pad replacement at this sort of mileage; and

2. ditto re brake disc replacement.

I did wonder whether I could have a go re the brake discs under warranty (which is to expire in the next few days) or would this be a lost cause?

It's been a long time since I kept a car for three years so I have lost touch re what constitutes reasonable/usual brake wear etc.

I had to replace my pads & discs on my car at 30,000 miles.

24,000 seems way to early to replace discs, ask the dealer to have a look under warranty, they can only say no so worth a try.

Just what ever you do, do not pay toyota to change the brakes for you as they charge a small fortune.

Go to a local motor factors and get some pads and discs, should cost around £80 - £100 for pads and discs and get a local garage to fit for you.

Or if you are handy with a tool use the guide on here to change the brakes for yourself.

Got my Toyota pads changed around 50k .... now done around 64k and my discs will be done soon as well as some new pads as my new mintex pads have't lasted very long???

I have mintex pads also. They have been on for 15,000 miles and are 10% worn but I also have the Mintex discs so maybe they do not wear the pads down as quickly

I have mintex pads also. They have been on for 15,000 miles and are 10% worn but I also have the Mintex discs so maybe they do not wear the pads down as quickly

I'll 2nd that, mine's on Mintex all round and after 5k the wear is minimal, and thats saying something for Mr T as he likes to try and sell brakes, as we all know!

As far as Geoff B's car, 80% worn at 24k, says to me that there is another 4800 miles to go and the 70% worn have 7200 miles left. If the advice came from Mr T i would get a 2nd opinion, main dealers typically love to change brakes as its easy and profitable, whilst making the customer feel uneasy ( as brakes = SAFETY) resulting in saying "ok then, best do them now" and that leaves the customer with a £500 bill. When it could have lasted another 6mths.

• 1 year later...

are the mintex discs a good choice? i was going to get the discs and pads for my front, are they a patern or a genuine part? i wasnt sure but i wasn't sure whether to just buy the discs and pads from a dealer is there a quality difference? im going to fit them myself though not paying toyota to fit em!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links