Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2000 Camry Le Rear Window Defroster

TCG

The rear window defroster on my 2000 Camry doesn't work well. When I press the button, usually nothing happens--the yellow light doesn't even come on. Sometimes, I will hear a clicking under the dash 10-15 minutes later and see the light flicker, which obviously is the defroster doing something, but I'm not sure what. To be quite honest, it's never worked 100% while I've owned the car because it has always been necessary to press the button just a certain way for the defroster to come on. It has, however, worked much better than it does now.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions/comments/thoughts appreciated.

Yeah, that's what I think, but given my Camry's problems with the oil sludge-like smoking at 50,000 miles (and regular oil changes) and the left hand pull despite all attempts to rectify, I don't take anything for granted. So, this post to make sure there's not some more sinister problem lurking in the clicking defroster.

Most switches of high-amp-use have low amp flow to a selenoid under dash or in engine compartment near the Battery as the high amp control. If the low amp switch has a poor contact due to carbon or poor surface contact, insufficient voltage will allow the selenoid to stay down with a resulting clicking. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, kipp, for that info. Now at least I have some understanding of what's going on with it. Any ideas on what it should cost to have it fixed? I probably won't take this to the dealer b/c I'm well out of that warranty.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links