Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Info Regarding Rav 4 2.0 Vvti Gx

QAS

Hi Guys

I am going to buy a 2002 RAV 4 VVTI GX 5 door. I just need some info if possible. How reliable are these cars, i've noticed some people mentioning that they suffer from engine management light problems and are costly to fix.

Also the fuel economy is pretty bad for the petrol version.

Can any please ease my mind as i really would like to buy one.

Kind regards

QAS

Hi Guys

I am going to buy a 2002 RAV 4 VVTI GX 5 door. I just need some info if possible. How reliable are these cars, i've noticed some people mentioning that they suffer from engine management light problems and are costly to fix.

Also the fuel economy is pretty bad for the petrol version.

Can any please ease my mind as i really would like to buy one.

Kind regards

QAS

They are reliable. Those that complain about flashing lights are likely to be suffering from hangovers. All toyotas are costly to fix unless you find a dealer/mechanic who knows what she's doing.

Fuel - well there's few guys who post their mpg on their signature. Course its more cos you get a heavier motor wi 4WD. Everything is relative. If it worries you, try a landrover on red diesel then try the RAV. I can bet on which you would pick.

If you are still worried, give me your money and I'll buy it for you. ;)

Economy on the petrol RAV is appalling - compared to a bluemotion 1.0 VW Polo or your Yaris diesel. If you compare it to a Jeep Cherokee 4.7L Petrol, it is rather good.

In other words, what is your benchmark comparison? For a 150 BHP Engine, set in a car that is not that aerodynamic and has permanent 4x4 Drive, I think it is pretty acceptable, but just don't moan when you find you are spending more per mile in the RAV4 then the Yaris.

If you want the type of compact SUV that the RAV4 is but want extra economy, then the Diesel may be a better bet for you, but the extra buy price and extra servicing costs need to be factored in - what is your mileage? if you do 5,000 a year, then the difference is not that great in fuel expenditure - 25,000 a year will be another matter.

There is a "reliability poll" running for the RAV4.3 and another for the RAV4.2 here - have a look at those and you could get a feeling for the type of problems that are occuring.

Personally, I see the engine warning light come on everyday when I turn the ignition on - so I know it works, but in the two years I have had my RAV4, it never comes on any other time. Only problem I have had is with the Battery dying, which I still think is a slight specification issue (underspecced Battery size) but I know exactly what is going on with that and have accepted it as an acceptable flaw in an otherwise great car.

PS - The RAV4.2 (the one you are looking at) has just been voted Compact SUV best used buy 2008.

Hi,

I have the VX Rav4 Diesel (1998 cc)and its fuel economy is far better than it was on my Peugeot Quiksilver (1400cc!) How that works out I don't know but it does. Apart from the engine warning light coming on whilst overtaking - and losing power to boot! - I have not had any problems (the garage said that it was a kink in the fuel line (?) ). Such a lovely car to drive and so comfortable - and you can get loads in the back with the rear seats down - an all round practical car. Probably if you do loads of miles perhaps a diesel would be more economical?

Hi,

I have the VX Rav4 Diesel (1998 cc)and its fuel economy is far better than it was on my Peugeot Quiksilver (1400cc!) How that works out I don't know but it does.

out of interest, you are not baseing that on the on board fuel computer, are you? that is one part of the vehicle that IS notoriously unreliable! mine is anywhere between 17% and 25% out.

Had my VX 6 years now. I think it has 38k on it. Two new sensors and a water pump are the only things that have been replaced. Still on original Battery and tyres but I suspect not for much longer. 27 to the gallon with a bit more on a motorway run and my fuel computer has always agreed with working it out manually.