Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4d Mpg

royH

Hi all,

I've just bought a one owner 2006 Avensis 2.0 D4D T2 with 15K miles. The computer tells me I'm getting just 41 MPG which seems a bit disappointing. I've previously owned an X-Type Jag which returned 50 MPG and before that a Vectra 1.9 CDTi which achieved about the same.

I've been driving carefully and not giving it too much grunt through the gears. I would be interested to hear what other owners are getting.

Cheers :)

Hi all,

I've just bought a one owner 2006 Avensis 2.0 D4D T2 with 15K miles. The computer tells me I'm getting just 41 MPG which seems a bit disappointing. I've previously owned an X-Type Jag which returned 50 MPG and before that a Vectra 1.9 CDTi which achieved about the same.

I've been driving carefully and not giving it too much grunt through the gears. I would be interested to hear what other owners are getting.

Cheers :)

Hi, I have a 2.0 D4-D T-Spirit 2004. I too consider myself a very careful driver and average between 52 - 55mpg, sometimes slightly more.

The computer tells me I'm getting just 41 MPG which seems a bit disappointing.

I haven't checked mine, but I understand from posts here that the trip computer is not always accurate on consumption.

I suggest you check it the old fashoined way.

Andy.

i hire an 08 plate zafira 1.9cdti the other day for a trip to Birmingham and it cost £18.90 for 120 miles. the readout said 38mpg. i wasnt giving it any stick either. my 2.2 avensis gives around 500 miles until the light comes on, at the moment, and is much nicer and quieter to drive.

i hire an 08 plate zafira 1.9cdti the other day for a trip to Birmingham and it cost £18.90 for 120 miles. the readout said 38mpg. i wasnt giving it any stick either. my 2.2 avensis gives around 500 miles until the light comes on, at the moment, and is much nicer and quieter to drive.

My Avensis D4D 2.0 TX-3 averages 48 mpg combined. The trip computer usually gives me better economy than it actually is. It is only an estimate IMHO.

My 2007 2L (new 2L engine) has given 45mpg over the 18 months since new. 60mpg long haul at indicated 70mph, 40mpg around town.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think maybe I'm relying on the accuracy of the on-board computer a little too much. I'll top up the tank today and zero the trip mileage, then see how far it goes on a tankful!!

Thanks again! B)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think maybe I'm relying on the accuracy of the on-board computer a little too much. I'll top up the tank today and zero the trip mileage, then see how far it goes on a tankful!!

Thanks again! B)

fill your car until the diesel nozzle clicks once.

then reset your trip computer.

after 100 miles or whatever you want to be honest, but the longer you leave it the closer to the truer figure you will get.

then after 100 miles fill back up the tank to the first click.

then you will know exactly how many miles you drove and exactly how many litres of fuel you used.

doing a little maths and you will get your true MPG.

• 9 years later...

Hi anybody know anything about the new model avensis 161 model 2.0 d4d I'm getting a very bad return on the mpg .I have the car 3 weeks and the best I got was 42mpg on motorway if anybody has one let me no tks

Hi chef

I have the new avensis with the 2.0 BMW engine 143 bhp. It was fully loaded in the summer as we went on holiday to Cornwall and I averaged 57mpg. I was pleased with this as it's the tourer model riding on wide 18 inch tyres too. Winter time on the motorway is around 50 so if say your 43 is abit low 

Cheers

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

My 2ADFTV gets 41 mpg on average, mostly motorway and town driving sticking to the speed limits. 

The trip ECU always gives higher than what it really is at the pumps. Most of the time the trip says average 48 mpg.

if I go on a long run, say to the Lake District on 60 mph A roads I will get 52mpg, again the ECU says 60 something.

I think the ecu assumes the car has oem parts as I was on 39mpg and went to 35mpg when I changed to non oem spark plugs which are supposed to have better fuel economy. But I am guessing fuel economy has improved, perhaps also a non oem air filter would also give a false mpg reading if the air flow is used in the ecu mpg algorithm?

PS

Though my mpg has dropped as I have been driving on a front tyre with 5 psi for a week and I was thinking why the steering was leaning slightly to the left! Though I have now done all the tyres at 35 psi (with snow falling) and the car steering and acceleration is impressive and more quiet. Though I have to keep an eye on the left tyre.

• Thanks 1

5 psi! Yes that would alter the steering. 

Good point i never thought about the implications of non OEM parts, I tend to service it with parts from Eurocarparts.

if you are getting between 35 and 39mpg that's really good for a petrol.

• Thanks 1

Also the anti skid seems to work better withe tyres pumped up as they went on for a mili second 3 times last night rather than for a second or two as it did when it was snowing a couple of months ago, though 35 psi would probably fall to 32 psi in this weather if the wind chill factor is considered 24 hours of chilly cold winds blowing away at the tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links