Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Yaris Query

Richard Davies

How many miles a year would I need to get out of a diesel Yaris before it became cheaper than a petrol one?

I've often heard that diesels are only cheaper to run when driven by long distance drivers.

How many miles a year would I need to get out of a diesel Yaris before it became cheaper than a petrol one?

I've often heard that diesels are only cheaper to run when driven by long distance drivers.

About a year ago ( when diesel was about the same cost as petrol ), a rough estimate would be about 12,000 miles / year. That allows for the extra cost of servicing, buying the car and insurance.

Today it has been suggested that the figure should be nearer 15,000 miles / year. ( Diesel is now costs more than petrol

It must depend on also how long you plan to keep the car, the longer you keep the more money you are saving.

Also I purchased a diesel recently as I had spare cash when buying but in these times of rising fuel costs I figured it would be easier to pay for on a month to month bases.

@Bos: Is servicing a diesel a lot more than a petrol car then? I don't know the cost of them but have been told by the dealer that every other years service on my diesel (aka, year 1, 3, 5 etc) are only interim services which are basically an oil change. Can't cost that much...

Edit: Also wouldn't you be able to resell the diesel for more, so the extra cost in purchasing to start with is also offset.

Thanks for letting me know that.

You need to do 16,500 miles as a rule, Diesel gives more MPG but as the fuel is over 10% more expensive the gap gets closer.

The Diesel will be over £1,000 more expensive than the petrol to begin with (on the same mode eg T3), so with a 50% Residual (at 3yrs and 30,000 miles) there is a £500 difference to start with, £500 does buy a lot of fuel :thumbsup:

Diesels don't have stronger residuals anymore, they can typically be worth less in % terms on small cars as the real running cost difference is small between Petrol & Diesel. This is not the case for Big cars where big petrols are now worthless.

You need to do 16,500 miles as a rule, Diesel gives more MPG but as the fuel is over 10% more expensive the gap gets closer.

The Diesel will be over £1,000 more expensive than the petrol to begin with (on the same mode eg T3), so with a 50% Residual (at 3yrs and 30,000 miles) there is a £500 difference to start with, £500 does buy a lot of fuel :thumbsup:

Diesels don't have stronger residuals anymore, they can typically be worth less in % terms on small cars as the real running cost difference is small between Petrol & Diesel. This is not the case for Big cars where big petrols are now worthless.

The diesel Yaris, according to What Car, still retains an advantage over the petrol, on their depreciation calculator. Plus the saving on fuel, despite the currrent diesel premium, it works out very nearly the same to run, even at a mere 12,000 pa! SWMBO used to have a petrol 1.3 Yaris - I always preferred the diesel. If the OP prefers either engine type, suggest go with that. There's not much in it when considering pence per mile including all costs:)

• 3 months later...
The diesel Yaris, according to What Car, still retains an advantage over the petrol, on their depreciation calculator. Plus the saving on fuel, despite the currrent diesel premium, it works out very nearly the same to run, even at a mere 12,000 pa! SWMBO used to have a petrol 1.3 Yaris - I always preferred the diesel. If the OP prefers either engine type, suggest go with that. There's not much in it when considering pence per mile including all costs:)

While I was searching for a second hand one, the 1.4 D-4D diesels always cost good chunk more than equivalent 1.3 VVTi petrols, so I'd agree it still has an advantage in the resell value!

Another advantage is that you're only paying £35 road tax with the D4D vs £120+

If you're just looking at costs 'tho, yeah, there isn't much in it between the 1.3 petrol and 1.4 diesel. The diesel's long term cost savings are balanced by higher initial outlay, whereas the petrol costs more to run, but you're saving yourself a lot of money in the initial purchase!