Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Engine Problem

williamlogan

Hi,

i have had my MR2 now for a few months and unfortunetly i did not notice there wasnt much oil in it. the oil has now ran out and i have been informed that the big end is away.

i have contacted a few companies and only found one that was interested in helping and they said they could possibly fix it but i would need to remove and measure something....

i am not a mechanic in any way and dont know much about cars.

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem and possibly let me know what part that place needs and how i go about removing it? the other option would be

to replace with a recon engine.

the car is a red toyota MR2 mk2 H reg, (1992) its just the 2000ltr 16v.

thanks

Hi,

i have had my MR2 now for a few months and unfortunetly i did not notice there wasnt much oil in it. the oil has now ran out and i have been informed that the big end is away.

i have contacted a few companies and only found one that was interested in helping and they said they could possibly fix it but i would need to remove and measure something....

i am not a mechanic in any way and dont know much about cars.

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem and possibly let me know what part that place needs and how i go about removing it? the other option would be

to replace with a recon engine.

the car is a red toyota MR2 mk2 H reg, (1992) its just the 2000ltr 16v.

thanks

It sounds like it could be the shells are gone , if this is the case and the crank was still good the it would be a case of changing the shells , but there could still be damage else where in the engine , did the car stop on you , how did you come to realise that there was a problem with your car . The best solution could be to change the engine . Are you in Ireland ? if so contact this man , Gary 0860893227 , he is in county Meath and has several mr2s parted out .

When I had issues with my old engine my mechanic said after all the messing about with the old engine trying to fix it, you might as well just drop a new one in.

Well i first noticed the noise when i was driving down the carrage way, when i got to the roundabout to slow down i dropped a gear and the car cut out. after that there was a noise when i went over 2000 revs which i thought might be the exhaust. a few people looked at it and said it was due to no oil and the big end had gone.

the car was still running fine until earlier today, now it just smokes like crazy.

i think it may be easier just replacing the engine rather than messing around trying to fix everything that went wrong.

If anyone knows of someone that can do this job in the kilmarnock (scotland KA3) area, which is about 20 mins from glasgow then i would appreciate it if you could give me the details.

thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

do it yourself mate i have a full how2 guide with photos etc etc, anyone can do the work its just the amount of time it takes. but it really is an easy job (long winded and heavy) but easy

do it yourself mate i have a full how2 guide with photos etc etc, anyone can do the work its just the amount of time it takes. but it really is an easy job (long winded and heavy) but easy

Where can we find this how 2?

the link is here

http://mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=89090.html

if you want me to copy paste the whole thing to here i can do that easily. also it is in MR2 only issue 11 (iirc).

i know about 10 peeps who have used it and it has worked for them, if not i spend hours on the phone to them sorting out issues/difficulties they may have.