Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Specs For Satnav Head Units?

St Thicket

Even though this question regards the head unit in my newly acquired corolla, you guys in the RAV4 forum are so knowledgable that I prefer asking here :)

I have the sat nav head unit with the imprint "19003". Does anyone know if I can do anything "Cool" with it? I'm thinking of perhaps video input from a reversing camera...

Where can I find specifications for this particular head unit, or perhaps a list of inputs or outputs?

Even though this question regards the head unit in my newly acquired corolla, you guys in the RAV4 forum are so knowledgable that I prefer asking here :)

I have the sat nav head unit with the imprint "19003". Does anyone know if I can do anything "Cool" with it? I'm thinking of perhaps video input from a reversing camera...

Where can I find specifications for this particular head unit, or perhaps a list of inputs or outputs?

This may help a little? http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77046 starting at post #5

Thanks for your help.

Nice to know that it is a TNS600. I'll try to take out the head unit someday, and see for myself if I've got the connections required for camera :)

It is very easy to remove the headunit from your Corolla.

The dash clips off and there is 4 bolts holding the headunit in.

I can get you a step by step guide manual by pdf if you want.

looking at the pics in one of the posts, it seems that a special connection is needed - probably has video signal plus power? Maybe worth checking the cost of a Toyota camera!!

There is a post here which you may find interesting as well (even though it is a different vehicle)

Part 1

Part 2

Nice!

I doubt that a reverse camera connector will be present in my small corolla. My workshop manual doesn't show any...

By the way, can I read fuel consumption information from the head unit? I've tried to figure it out, but can't find anything.

Camera input is probably a 4 way socket on that model if fitted.

http://www.ae101.nl/fullmap/

Pinout relatively easy to work out (or google) for a man of your calibre.

Thanks shcm! Just what I was looking for!

What confuses me is that my HU doesn't look like the B9003... and it sais 19003 on the front. The knobs doesn't have the ring of light on the top of the knobs, they are located at the base. The "map" button is grey, not black as the rest.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I have to take out the HU soon, due to a faulty handsfree... I'll take some pictures of it just in case I want to tinker with it later :)

4-pin is for camera.

Have found out a lot of info about the fullmap satnav systems. See my ae101.nl webspace.

More info will be added, also the connections like this page, a very handy link about Toyota connectors! :

http://www.castulucci.com/projects/carpc/o...tors/index.html

Still have not got a camera to work on the fullmap. Even bought a video input converter and after that i found out my B9010 does not have a video input...see other topic.

Sold it and got myself a TNS600 (B9000) again and it finally worked, but it has a conflict now with the cd changer.

Know about the two cam signal wires to the 4-pin connector (V+ and V-) and the 12v reverse power to the camera.

Fullmap gets a 12v reverse signal from pin5 of the 5-pin connector. In the hidden menu i can see the unit gets a reverse signal.

Accoding to all te info i read and collected about it, it just have to work...but the screen does simply not switch to camera mode when i go to reverse. :(

shcm, any idea??

Do you have the 4th wire (CGND) connected to ground?

I believe this is a camera enable input (even though it is called GND!), which is normally pulled up to one of the internal head unit power supplies. Pulling it to ground, enables the camera functionality (at least on my B9004 anyway).

I know this is the case, as I have connected that input to ground on my RAV. I have no camera connected, but when I select reverse I get the usual camera warning message at the bottom of the screen, but obviously no image. With this connection open (floating), I would get the standard (no camera) functionality when in reverse.

Perhaps you could try it a step at a time? First try connecting VA- and CGND to ground. If you get the message at the bottom of the screen and a blank screen, all should be OK. Then try connecting the camera (VA+ and VA-).

Hope that helps

Camera is connected as this :

2 signal wires from the camera to V+ and V- on the 4-pin connector

1 positive power wire from the camera on the + of reverse light

1 negative power wire from camera to ground

CGND, is that pin4 of the connector? Have nothing on that one... just ground it?

Yes it will be pin4 (see the 4 runner link you posted).

It's a while since I did this and my memory is getting worse :D, but there is definitely an "enable" of sorts required.

I've just checked the bit of "reverse engineering" documentation I made and actually that seems to suggest that V- is actually the enable pin.

Anyway, without me going and pulling the head unit out in the dark it's definitely either CGND or V- :D.

At the head unit, try connecting CGND (pin 4) to ground.

If that fails to give the message in reverse try connecting V- to ground as well. It shouldn't damage anything.

Let me know how you get on.

I think I'm too bored at work... I came up with a brilliant idea last week! Why not use the reverse camera input as an OBD2 information display? I found this great site that explains how to make your own NTSC monochrome video output using only a microcontoller!

In principle, a ordinary OBD2 to RS232 converter can send serial information to the microcontroller, pushing the values to the video output. The link above explains that it can show white characters that are 5x7 pixels on a black bacground, which should be quite visible in the car.

Is this brilliant, or should I have a vacation soon?

Thanks shcm, i will try and let know the results. If this works im really happy!

In principle, a ordinary OBD2 to RS232 converter can send serial information to the microcontroller, pushing the values to the video output. The link above explains that it can show white characters that are 5x7 pixels on a black background, which should be quite visible in the car.

Are you reading my mind?

I've had a similar idea for the 4.3 sat nav and even the ones without I was toying with the idea of something like a combined aux/ipod/eobd adapater and displaying the eobd parameters on the head unit via CDtext.

I'm sure I could implement this, given time, but as I get older, the spare time I had when I was younger to do such stuff seems to get less. Sounds like I'm making an excuse doesn't it? That's a reason why a lot of the time I like to keep my ideas to myself until I've got something tangible to show for it.

I work with a lot of people with "big ideas" (we probably all work with those people :D) but generally I only have the greatest respect for those who can also carry them through to completion. That is the hard/clever bit IMHO. That's probably why I like to have working stuff in my hand before I show it off.

Mind you, with the way things are going, there could be a lot of people with a lot of spare time soon...........

Anyway, I'm rambling....probably due to frustration of not implementing the above yet :D.

Is this brilliant, or should I have a vacation soon?

That depends. I think it's great. I was also always impressed by video games that had been completely implemented in FPGAs. I expect most think you need another holiday. :D

Yes it will be pin4 (see the 4 runner link you posted).

It's a while since I did this and my memory is getting worse :D, but there is definitely an "enable" of sorts required.

I've just checked the bit of "reverse engineering" documentation I made and actually that seems to suggest that V- is actually the enable pin.

Anyway, without me going and pulling the head unit out in the dark it's definitely either CGND or V- :D.

At the head unit, try connecting CGND (pin 4) to ground.

If that fails to give the message in reverse try connecting V- to ground as well. It shouldn't damage anything.

Let me know how you get on.

YES!!! Finally got it working! :D

Used only the 2 pins V- and V+ on the unit for the camera signal and have connected V- also to ground.

So the ground of the 12v camera power is now also the same as for the camera signal. The GND connection of the unit is not used in this setup.

Even the warning message is in Dutch! Only it need 2 lines and not 1 as in English.

Thanks for helping me out on this shcm!!

Well done for getting it working :thumbsup:

You'll have to post some pictures, so we can learn the Dutch for "Check Surroundings for Safety". You never know, it could be useful to us non-Dutch Speakers one day :D.

Just to add for those thinking of fitting a (non Toyota) satnav such as the kenwood unit I've got on order and the one Hoovie fitted recently - the five pin connector gives the required signals for the handbrake and reversing input -

Pin 1 - H/Brake (pulled to ground when H/Brake on - floating +11.5V from cluster lamp when H/Brake released)

Pin 3 - not required (suspected to be GND but not sure)

Pin 5 - Reverse Signal (pulled to +12V when in Reverse Gear selected)

This avoids having to run cables back to the rear of the vehicle for power from the reversing lamp.

You could also switch the H/Brake cable on a 2 way switch to provide GND signal if (for any reason) you needed DVD display whilst driving (not recommended nor legal - probably)

Well done for getting it working :thumbsup:

You'll have to post some pictures, so we can learn the Dutch for "Check Surroundings for Safety". You never know, it could be useful to us non-Dutch Speakers one day :D.

Here the pics (clickable). Note that the camera is not perfect in place yet.

88_thumb.jpg

89_thumb.jpg

83_thumb.jpg

By the way... I've finally looked behind my stereo, and found that it has video input.

Here's some pictures of the head unit:

Front.JPG

Back.JPG

Tag.JPG

The blue 6-pin connector is described as a DVD-changer input on the page that is mentioned above... Does that mean that I can watch DVDs?

Does anyone know the part number for the reverce camera input?

This post may be on some help?

Click Here

The unit discussed LOOKS indentical to yours from the front at least

navvideo.jpg

Now it is a diffrent number but the appearance is identical, so maybe just dif number for Australian Market?

There is a note in the thread that says:

* Cannot be used to watch movie DVDs unless optional Video Interface is purchased

So I guess it does WITH it :)

The unit discussed LOOKS indentical to yours from the front at least

Nah, it's missing the tape button! ;)

Anyway, I don't want to buy any extra to get the DVD interface... I don't have any use for it. It's just one of those Cool-to-have-but-never-used gadgets.

What about the reverse camera input? Does anyone have the part number?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links